Western Bulldogs 2014 Offseason thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell won't make it as a forward IMO. Does not have that forward nous. Handy 2nd ruck though.

We've been training and developing Campbell and Cordy together as a Ruck/Forward combo, with good results at VFL level. I'd imagine as Will gets older (he's around 28 - 30 from memory) that these two will be a ruck pairing in the near future. Just can't see why we'd invest that development time to let him walk and have to start from scratch.

To my mind, this kills off all rumours around players like Grimley - same age as Cordy/Campbell, played less AFL games and scored less goals. Given we have this longer term plan, why would we bring in a 4th ruck (5th ruck as we also have Roughead) for the cost of a 2nd round pick ?? Doesn't make sense. We'll take ruck with a rookie pick this year or next I suspect...

We've been training and developing Campbell and Cordy together as a Ruck/Forward combo, with good results at VFL level. I'd imagine as Will gets older (he's around 28 - 30 from memory) that these two will be a ruck pairing in the near future. Just can't see why we'd invest that development time to let him walk and have to start from scratch.

To my mind, this kills off all rumours around players like Grimley - same age as Cordy/Campbell, played less AFL games and scored less goals. Given we have this longer term plan, why would we bring in a 4th ruck (5th ruck as we also have Roughead) for the cost of a 2nd round pick ?? Doesn't make sense. We'll take ruck with a rookie pick this year or next I suspect...
Grimley isn't a ruckman
He is an athletic CHF
Are you getting Grimley and Lowden confused?

It'd have to be the Higgins compo + Campbell. Our ruck depth is putrid (so much so that the ruck we took in the rookie draft got dropped from the VFL team at one point) and he's under contract.

On the whole Crameri vs Casboult thing, even I know that Crameri's better.
Couldn't believe it was even a debate. More borne out of the money argument than anything, but I don't think offering one player more than another to come to your club is an indication of how you rate them, but rather of the circumstances in which you're getting them.

Sounds like a fair trade for both parties right now, but we wouldn't offload Campbell because it'd leave us needing to develop another ruck in 3-4 years time, whereas Tom will be around for 8 or so years.

Some have suggested trading Minson - would he interest you, considering Essendon's potential to compete for a flag in the short term?

If I were a Dogs supporter I'd have a look at Lisle, showed some potential but wasn't really given a fair go at senior level. Could become a handy forward and it'll cost you nothing.

Couldn't believe it was even a debate. More borne out of the money argument than anything, but I don't think offering one player more than another to come to your club is an indication of how you rate them, but rather of the circumstances in which you're getting them.

Sounds like a fair trade for both parties right now, but we wouldn't offload Campbell because it'd leave us needing to develop another ruck in 3-4 years time, whereas Tom will be around for 8 or so years.

Some have suggested trading Minson - would he interest you, considering Essendon's potential to compete for a flag in the short term?
Not really. Whilst Minson is better than Bellchambers, the Bellchambers/Ryder combination works better than what Mindon/Ryder would do. Essendon and the Bulldogs have the same concerns, the only difference is that we've got the more developed group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. Whilst Minson is better than Bellchambers, the Bellchambers/Ryder combination works better than what Mindon/Ryder would do. Essendon and the Bulldogs have the same concerns, the only difference is that we've got the more developed group.
Not knowing how the Dons ruck set up works intricately but it looks like we're trying to develop Cordy/Campbell into a similar combo as Bellchambers/Ryder in that they both place sizeable portions in the ruck. Doesn't work that way with Will, he's a genuine 95% of game time in the ruck ruckman and spuds it up anywhere else. I'd clunk more grabs up forward than he has at AFL level

Hi Jon Ralph. Anything you need to know?

Oh to be a journo who scrawls through BF all day.

Where does the Casboult rumour leave Jones?

No interest in Jones, but they're not too dissimilar as KPF who can clunk marks.

Where does the Casboult rumour leave Jones?

No interest in Jones, but they're not too dissimilar as KPF who can clunk marks.
Leaves Jones as the best key forward at our club irrespective of whether we recruit Casboult or not.

Just need to get some confidence inside his thick skull, he's got all the attributes otherwise.

Came out and absolutely brained Willy in the last quarter on Sunday, took 5+ monstrous pack marks in less than 20 minutes. He's got form for it at AFL level too, just without any element of consistency.

One bloke sitting in his undies on the couch dreams it up and puts it on bigfooty, tomorrow it will be on the back page of the HUN. What a world we live in...
To be fair, that's probably what Robbo is doing when he writes most his articles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back