Western Bulldogs Limbo Club

Remove this Banner Ad

So... our strategy this draft appears to be very much counter to previous years.
No talls, all shortish mid/half forwards - is there any logic to this?

A draft with a number of solid tall prospects and we take none of them, save for Zaine who isn't likely to develop into a key defender at AFL level. Yes we traded for Boyd (great) and Hamling (who knows), but we didn't rate any talls in the draft at our picks?

Are posters generally happy with this? Personally I'm not sold on what seems to be a specific 'type' to draft which runs counter to the one area we could have had a genuine advantage of over other clubs (big midfielders).

Honest question, what solid tall prospects were left by our first pick? You had the guys like Lever, Wright, Goddard etc. but they were all gone.

All of the guys we got have pace and have good footskills, which is what we need far more than anything else in my opinion.

I liked the draft except for the last selection. Don't understand why we went for a midget over a Tall. It would've capped off a great night IMO.

We still have the rookie draft i guess. I like Christian Buykx-smith and Harry Dear, I hope we can get at least one.

The best we can hope for is that the draft turns out like 2003 and nearly everyone ends up being a dud.

Every year come draft day you have heaps of excitement and hope. This year I'm shattered.

I'll call it now, none of these guys will play 50 games.

Totally agree

How do u fit all these guys into the one side .,.
Dahlhaus
Daniel
Smith
Hvorat
Honey church
McLean
Hunter
Prudden
Ji
All sub 182cm

Land of the short people
I've watched a lot of draft videos in my time but Declan Hamiltons would have to be the worst, turn over left foot turn over right foot and a smothered handball

Totally agree

Dahlhaus
Daniel
Smith
Hvorat
Honey church
McLean
Hunter
Prudden
Ji
All sub 182cm

Land of the short people
I've watched a lot of draft videos in my time but Declan Hamiltons would have to be the worst, turn over left foot turn over right foot and a smothered handball
I fear for the future of Smith long term actually.

Honest question, what solid tall prospects were left by our first pick? You had the guys like Lever, Wright, Goddard etc. but they were all gone.
Why do we only have to pick a tall with our first pick?
We have 5 picks - now, they may all come good and become good footballers but they all seem to play the same position while (for example) guys who were highly rated like Oscar McDonald were available at our last picks (Keitel, Bukx-Smith, etc also pegged as late picks must come into consideration as rookie picks).

Why do we only have to pick a tall with our first pick?
We have 5 picks - now, they may all come good and become good footballers but they all seem to play the same position while (for example) guys who were highly rated like Oscar McDonald were available at our last picks (Keitel, Bukx-Smith, etc also pegged as late picks must come into consideration as rookie picks).
Fair, but were there any decent talls available at our other picks? And if they were decent, why were they available and not picked up earlier?

Just to clarify, these are all genuine questions. I didn't know much about this draft and am not going to pretend I did. So I'm just assuming that the talls available to us weren't exactly inspiring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair, but were there any decent talls available at our other picks? And if they were decent, why were they available and not picked up earlier?

Just to clarify, these are all genuine questions. I didn't know much about this draft and am not going to pretend I did. So I'm just assuming that the talls available to us weren't exactly inspiring.

McDonald was talked up going inside the top 30 selections in the media. Not a great kick of the ball, so maybe that's why we passed. The 5 blokes we picked are all composed and can kick it well.

Totally agree

Dahlhaus
Daniel
Smith
Hvorat
Honey church
McLean
Hunter
Prudden
Ji
All sub 182cm

Land of the short people

I've been saying this for over a year and we go and get more small blokes it's ridiculous.

I don't care how much "class" you have if our competing against a guy a foot taller and 10 kegs heavier you ain't getting the ball a lot.

I'd rate this draft a 3/10 and possibly even lower but time will tell.

I've been saying this for over a year and we go and get more small blokes it's ridiculous.

I don't care how much "class" you have if our competing against a guy a foot taller and 10 kegs heavier you ain't getting the ball a lot.

I'd rate this draft a 3/10 and possibly even lower but time will tell.

Hamilton and Dale are under 70kg and just over 180cm. So skinny as well..as is Daniel at 66kg - although that may be overweight for his height.....

Dalrymple seems to believe we are 'well stocked' for KPDs, believes Talia, Hamlin, FR and Z Cordy will do the job...hope so...

Gee going to be interesting. McLean sounds solid (but smallish).

Honestly cannot see all these pygmies playing in the one team....as the great Jack Dyer used to say...a good big man will always beat a good little man. Has me a little befuddled.

Guess time will tell. This is the year Dal either becomes a great recruiter....or becomes Satan (Wallace/Rhode like) and loses his job.

Totally agree

Dahlhaus
Daniel
Smith
Hvorat
Honey church
McLean
Hunter
Prudden
Ji
All sub 182cm

Land of the short people

BTW there appears to be two DEclan Hamilton videos.
The youtbe one was the one with the errors in it..

Totally agree

Dahlhaus
Daniel
Smith
Hvorat
Honey church
McLean
Hunter
Prudden
Ji
All sub 182cm

Land of the short people

I dont mind abit of competition for spots to be honest. Now every game players will know if they don't preform someone will be knocking the door down for that spot.

down back we have talia, Hamling, roberts, Morris, Roughead and Cord. thats 6 KPD.

upforward we have Boyd as a KPF but the likes of Stringer, Bonts Crameri, Campbell and Redpath who are all 190+. we are not exactly short hell il even say we are possibly taller up forward than Fremantle, Hawthorn & Geelong

I liked the draft except for the last selection. Don't understand why we went for a midget over a Tall. It would've capped off a great night IMO.

We still have the rookie draft i guess. I like Christian Buykx-smith and Harry Dear, I hope we can get at least one.
I think I would have preferred to select Foster with our final pick. Hopefully in time I am proved wrong.

So... our strategy this draft appears to be very much counter to previous years.
No talls, all shortish mid/half forwards - is there any logic to this?

A draft with a number of solid tall prospects and we take none of them, save for Zaine who isn't likely to develop into a key defender at AFL level. Yes we traded for Boyd (great) and Hamling (who knows), but we didn't rate any talls in the draft at our picks?

Are posters generally happy with this? Personally I'm not sold on what seems to be a specific 'type' to draft which runs counter to the one area we could have had a genuine advantage of over other clubs (big midfielders).

At this stage we have no idea what the new coaches game plan requires. On face value it seems he wants better users of the ball at the club. I would have liked some tall timber but it seems like the club went best available while targetting skills.

People getting hung up over height like a bunch of bimbos

Can you really see Dahl, Hrovat, Honey and Daniel playing in the same team? I'm not a coach but I'm thinking those guys get dragged deep back and are ritually slaughtered - surely.

Last edited:
down back we have talia, Hamling, roberts, Morris, Roughead and Cord. thats 6 KPD.
The only quality there is undersized Morris at 190cm. The rest are underdeveloped, unknowns and calling T-Rex arms Talia a KPD, or Cordy, is going to be a stretch when the next generation of 195cm+ KPFs start to hit their straps.
Roughy battles hard but has serious pace issues so not everyone is convinced his long term future is as FB

For mine we are very light on for KPDs

upforward we have Boyd as a KPF but the likes of Stringer, Bonts Crameri, Campbell and Redpath who are all 190+. we are not exactly short hell il even say we are possibly taller up forward than Fremantle, Hawthorn & Geelong
Boyd is a genuine KPF who will take time.
Stringer & Crameri are medium high forwards.
Campbell is a no 1 ruckman more than a no 2 ruckman/forward (I actually think Roughy could play that role) and Redpath I don't rate at all.

Given we just drafted 5 mid/forwards and we have a bunch of smalls already perhaps we're going into games with only 1 genuine KPF but I'd prefer a second quality KPF on the list.

No way the Hawks with Gunston, Roughy, Hale, O'Brien, etc have comparable talls to us (miles ahead) - ditto Geelong with a plethora of developing talls (Vardy when fit is excellent)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back