Western Bulldogs seal government Ballarat deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Deal signed between the Dogs and the Government, but not ticked by the AFL yet apparently. Requesting primarily non victorian clubs to play a game a year in Ballarat from 2017

Considered a coup by the Bulldogs – not to mention a significant financial windfall - believed to be worth $3million-$5 million over five years – the deal was sealed quietly in Ballarat on Friday. It will be writ large, however, when the eyes of the football world turn to the MCG on Saturday night and the Dogs play their first final for five years wearing shorts emblazoned with "Ballarat" logos.

The partnership, which has been likened in structure to Hawthorn's lucrative sponsorship arrangement with the Tasmanian government, will see the Bulldogs open an office in Ballarat and hold numerous community activities, and team camps, in the region.

Fairfax Media understands the Western Bulldogs have submitted a preference to host non-Victorian teams at the Ballarat venue, which is having a $15 million state government- funded makeover. The AFL's two South Australian teams – Adelaide and Port Adelaide – have been highlighted as ideal opponents for the Dogs in Ballarat, with the government and club confident that South Australians would readily make the road trip

Premier Andrews and Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon shook hands on the deal in Ballarat on Friday. While both men hope that at least one AFL match for premiership points will be held at Ballarat from 2017, discussions continue and clearly rely on the AFL fixturing such clashes.

Premier Andrews told Fairfax Media: "There will be no hold-up from our end, and I'm confident that the AFL will be able to agree on this because it's great for footy to bring elite AFL footy into a regional Victoria and country footy atmosphere. I think this is going to be really, really special."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl...government-ballarat-deal-20150911-gjkqou.html

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/labor-government-brings-sons-of-the-west-to-ballarat

he Andrews Labor Government is delivering on its election commitment to bring AFL games to Ballarat by working with the Western Bulldogs Football Club to strengthen its ties with this great regional city.

Premier Daniel Andrews joined Western Bulldogs President Peter Gordon and vice-captain Jordan Roughead at Eureka Stadium to unveil a new partnership that will help the club strengthen ties with Western Victoria.

The Bulldogs will wear specially-designed Ballarat-branded shorts when they take on the Adelaide Crows at the MCG tonight, their first final since 2010.

The Labor Government promised Ballarat a world-class stadium and is getting on with it. The 2015-16 Victorian Budget provides a $31.5 million upgrade of the Ballarat Major Events Precinct.

This investment includes $15 million for Eureka Stadium, $9 million for Wendouree Sports and Events Centre, $5 million for the Ballarat Showgrounds upgrade and $2.5 million towards C.E Brown Reserve.

This commitment for Eureka Stadium will allow the Bulldogs to play home and away games in Ballarat and create a stadium the local community can be proud of. The new stadium will include lighting, spectator seating and a video scoreboard.

Ballarat is a footy heartland and deserves the biggest games. AFL Premiership matches will bring visitors from all over the state and the nation, meaning more jobs, more spending in local cafes and motels and a stronger local economy.

Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews

“We’re bringing the Ballarat community and Western Victoria closer to their heroes in the red, white and blue.”

“Ballarat has produced a long list of league stars. This world-class city deserves a world-class stadium and the big AFL games.”

“AFL Premiership games in Ballarat will mean more visitors, more business for local traders and a stronger economy for this great regional city.”

Quotes attributable to Minister for Sport, Tourism and Major Events John Eren

“This isn’t just good news for Ballarat, but regional Victoria as a whole. Tourism is a key pillar of our regional economy, and big events like these ensure it continues to grow.”

Quotes attributable to Member for Buninyong Geoff Howard

“Eureka Stadium is at the heart of sport in Ballarat. The Labor Government is turning it into a world-class venue, but not at the expense of grassroots players.”

Quotes attributable to Member for Wendouree Sharon Knight

“The Western Bulldogs are building their connection with Ballarat and Western Victoria. We’re strengthening those ties and ensuring Ballarat’s loyal army of footy followers get the best games in their own backyard.”

Footscray averaged just under 25k at Docklands (approx 20k for interstate teams) with the likelihood of increasing into 2016. I think a redeveloped Eureka Stadium would have a capacity of less than 20k and its facilities would be inferior to either of the Tasmanian grounds. I think there should be more estimates of the crowds at Eureka Stadium. Still don't understand why Footscray doesn't just play at Kardinia as the facilities are already there and no need to spend more money.

I'm not up to date on the battle out west. All I know is both North Melbourne VFL sides are located out there.

Eureka currently has less than 500 seats, a new grandstand would only have 6k and the rest of the capacity would be 8 or so thousand standing room. It won't be a big ground. But no worse than Darwin I guess but a big pay day for the Bulldogs and the start of what could eventually be a half decent stadium in 20 years time for Ballarat.

Eureka Stadium is currently the worst ground in the VFL for spectators and it will take significantly more than $15m to get it up to a good standard. However, Ballarat East and Ballarat West are marginal state seats and over time there's a good chance that it will get more funding from both sides of politics (a la Kardinia Park).

With the AFL and the WB you never know, but hopefully they will support us playing 2 premiership matches there in 2-3 years - they scheduled a NAB preseason game there this year for us which is a good sign.

Eureka Stadium is currently the worst ground in the VFL for spectators and it will take significantly more than $15m to get it up to a good standard. However, Ballarat East and Ballarat West are marginal state seats and over time there's a good chance that it will get more funding from both sides of politics (a la Kardinia Park).

With the AFL and the WB you never know, but hopefully they will support us playing 2 premiership matches there in 2-3 years - they scheduled a NAB preseason game there this year for us which is a good sign.
City oval and eastern oval are miles ahead of eureka, it's only been seen as the main venue in Ballarat since the roosters were promoted to the vfl in 96. It currently has nothing more than a social club and a couple of seats tacked on in front of it. But yeah the first stage will see some sort of a grandstand and grass banks right round it, maybe something similar to Bankstown.

City oval and eastern oval are miles ahead of eureka, it's only been seen as the main venue in Ballarat since the roosters were promoted to the vfl in 96. It currently has nothing more than a social club and a couple of seats tacked on in front of it. But yeah the first stage will see some sort of a grandstand and grass banks right round it, maybe something similar to Bankstown.

I assume you mean Blacktown - and the problem is that Blacktown cost $20 million 7 years ago and it was a greenfield site so there were virtually no demolition costs. I'm really intrigued at this Ballarat ground, there seem to be all sorts of blue sky projections for the place, and it seems there's already a commitment to schedule games there. But the financial commitment from government doesn't even appear to be in the carpark of the ballpark of what you'd need to get it up and running. You're looking at $50 million at the very minimum.

$15 million now will get you something slightly better than this. I say slightly as it cost $9 million 5 years ago, so it'd put you out about $11 million today.

rushtonpark.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume you mean Blacktown - and the problem is that Blacktown cost $20 million 7 years ago and it was a greenfield site so there were virtually no demolition costs. I'm really intrigued at this Ballarat ground, there seem to be all sorts of blue sky projections for the place, and it seems there's already a commitment to schedule games there. But the financial commitment from government doesn't even appear to be in the carpark of the ballpark of what you'd need to get it up and running. You're looking at $50 million at the very minimum.

$15 million now will get you something slightly better than this. I say slightly as it cost $9 million 5 years ago, so it'd put you out about $11 million today.

rushtonpark.jpg
Oh yes, sorry Blacktown.

Well I don't think they even need something like that, they already existing infrastructure on the northern side so the $15 million would go towards a grandstand on the south which would be nothing but seating and grass banks behind both goals.

rushtonpark.jpg

I went to Melbourne for a footy weekend which included Ballarat for a VFL game about 8 years ago. Went with some mates from Melbourne to watch the Tassie VFL v Ballarat. I cant see why the ground couldnt be set up fairly well for AFL footy. The ground surrounds were fairly flat if I remember, so nothing to knock down. The social club (which isn't dissimilar to the picture above) has large change rooms underneath. they looked good enough for AFL to me. The will need a lot of grandstand seating & the usual public facilities. I'm not sure if $15million would be enough but I wouldnt think you'd need an awful lot more for 20k attendance.

I went to Melbourne for a footy weekend which included Ballarat for a VFL game about 8 years ago. Went with some mates from Melbourne to watch the Tassie VFL v Ballarat. I cant see why the ground couldnt be set up fairly well for AFL footy. The ground surrounds were fairly flat if I remember, so nothing to knock down. The social club (which isn't dissimilar to the picture above) has large change rooms underneath. they looked good enough for AFL to me. The will need a lot of grandstand seating & the usual public facilities. I'm not sure if $15million would be enough but I wouldnt think you'd need an awful lot more for 20k attendance.
The cost of $15 million will differently blow out, but the ground will be used far more often than just for a few Bulldogs games through out footy season. It will be used for amateur football comps as well as no doubt will have a few cricket games scheduled there. But looking at a long term economic benefits, it will help businesses and create employment, that over a period of time will easy double or triple its original investment.

The cost of $15 million will differently blow out, but the ground will be used far more often than just for a few Bulldogs games through out footy season. It will be used for amateur football comps as well as no doubt will have a few cricket games scheduled there. But looking at a long term economic benefits, it will help businesses and create employment, that over a period of time will easy double or triple its original investment.

Will those other games use/need the additional capacity? I'm sure some people will enjoy having a seat rather than standing/grass, but hardly in a financial investment return perpective.

The real 'investment' return is in the form of votes in what I assume is a marginal electorate.

Will those other games use/need the additional capacity? I'm sure some people will enjoy having a seat rather than standing/grass, but hardly in a financial investment return perpective.

The real 'investment' return is in the form of votes in what I assume is a marginal electorate.
Some people actually do enjoy staffing at games.

But as I said it will have a flow on effect. The town of Ballarat and local businesses will benefit out of it. If governments don't built these sorts of project or infrastructure who else will. Isn't that why we pay our rates & taxes

Exactly why Hawthorn got the gig in Launceston!!!!!

Politics & footy, Well I never!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2 points.

Firstly, I was only referring to the games that are already played there (local footy & cricket)

Secondly, the Tas government pays to get games in Tas that otherwise wouldn't be there...'New' economic activity that would actually have a benefit to the state.

Vic government would only be paying to move economic activity from one area to another, yielding no net benefit to the state (indeed, probably less, as there would probably be both fewer interstate tourists and a smaller crowd overall going to a game in Ballarat).

2 points.

Firstly, I was only referring to the games that are already played there (local footy & cricket)

Secondly, the Tas government pays to get games in Tas that otherwise wouldn't be there...'New' economic activity that would actually have a benefit to the state.

Vic government would only be paying to move economic activity from one area to another, yielding no net benefit to the state (indeed, probably less, as there would probably be both fewer interstate tourists and a smaller crowd overall going to a game in Ballarat).

I dunno, if the opponents were Adelaide or Port you might get a few more people going for the novelty of it if they drive. But that would wear out after a year or 2. You couldn't play them there every year and expect SA tourists every year.

But if the ground is a shithole then no tourist will show up. People like going to Melbourne for the footy because the stadiums are world class. They're not travelling interstate to stand in the rain.

2 points.

The ultimate end game for Ballarat is to be a commuter city and play a part in taking the strain off melbournes population. I commute to work in Melbourne now and people go but it's so far! It's really not, it's a comfortable train ride and I love the lifestyle in Ballarat. For those in Melbourne though a lot of people think that moving out this way means giving up the city which is far from the case. Bringing in afl games to Ballarat might not be much but it makes people in Melbourne and around the country think that bit more about the city and contemplate visiting who knows even moving out here. Our infrastructure is reasonable at the moment, with plenty of room to expand, all while providing people with an affordable opportunity to achieve the Australian dream without completely forgoing the city lifestyle. A quick walk around lydiard street or the lake shows the melburnian touches infiltrating.

I dunno, if the opponents were Adelaide or Port you might get a few more people going for the novelty of it if they drive. But that would wear out after a year or 2. You couldn't play them there every year and expect SA tourists every year.

But if the ground is a shithole then no tourist will show up. People like going to Melbourne for the footy because the stadiums are world class. They're not travelling interstate to stand in the rain.

More the location....I doubt many SA fans drive, and those who do aren't going to change their mind based on less than an hour difference in travel time. For the rest, they'd still fly into the same airports and have further to go after they get there.

Regardless, with a capacity of 20K...There are VERY few games that get less than that, so while the club will probably do better from those games, the 'economic activity' would be less.

More the location....I doubt many SA fans drive, and those who do aren't going to change their mind based on less than an hour difference in travel time. For the rest, they'd still fly into the same airports and have further to go after they get there.

Regardless, with a capacity of 20K...There are VERY few games that get less than that, so while the club will probably do better from those games, the 'economic activity' would be less.
The key to getting SA fans is hosting games during their school holidays, we have huge amounts of South Australians driving over for a break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back