Western Bulldogs seal government Ballarat deal

Remove this Banner Ad

The state government obviously has political motives for the Ballarat push but there is some argument for decentralizing economic and social activity to the regions rather than it all remaining in the ever expanding and increasingly congested Melbourne. Ballarat has good population growth by the way which adds to its attraction to host AFL games.

I understand that the thinking is that we will no longer sell games interstate so that may mean that the economic activity of our games remains here in Victoria and has some benefit overall to the state.

The state government obviously has political motives for the Ballarat push but there is some argument for decentralizing economic and social activity to the regions rather than it all remaining in the ever expanding and increasingly congested Melbourne. Ballarat has good population growth by the way which adds to its attraction to host AFL games.

I understand that the thinking is that we will no longer sell games interstate so that may mean that the economic activity of our games remains here in Victoria and has some benefit overall to the state.

That's right. Political expediency sometimes does coincide with actual needs and benefits. Going forward Victoria needs to develop the regional centres to take the strain off Melbourne. Projects such as this will help with jobs and maybe an increase in tourism.

Personally, if games there don't clash with a Collingwood match then I'll make the trip out myself at least once. Would love to see regional Vic get some games and I really like visiting Ballarat.

Good on the Doggies for taking this initiative, too.

I feel for my suns, they will probably never get to play more than once a season at the mcg as they will no doubt be scheduled to play at ballarat, possibly Tasmania, and Etihad.
oh well, at least when they do play at mcg it will be finals (in a few years) and I think the dimensions at metricon are fairly close..

The key to getting SA fans is hosting games during their school holidays, we have huge amounts of South Australians driving over for a break.

Perhaps, but it runs the question of if that would be 'too good' a game to play there.

SA club during holidays, etc might come close to break even at docklands. GWS/GC wont at any time, so the bigger financial gain is from playing the latter. It's be the AFL who sets the FIXture, and what's best for the club will come a long way ahead of what's best for Ballarat.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back