Western Bulldogs v Brisbane - who has the better midfield?

Midfield - Western Bulldogs or Brisbane?

• Western Bulldogs

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 77 51.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, what a difference one trade period can have...

Now our best starting 6 midfield would be Leuenberger, Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Hanley and D.Beams.

Then we have a secondary 6 midfield of Martin, Zorko, Mayes, Christensen, Aish and Bewick.

Then our 3rd stringers in Taylor, Paparone, Lester,C.Beams and Green rotating from the forward half. In reality, we can't play all of them I know, but it's still exciting to list them all off:p

On a side note, I hope the dogs fans get fair compo for Griffen:thumbsu: (if you do trade him that is).

He started there this year a bit before doing his knee. Lot of people think he should continue there.
When I look at Brisbane's defence I can never help but think that there are no elite kicks once Adcock retires.

Cutler isn't bad. Will be quite the player in a few years
Tidy but not as good as Adcock or Rich IMO. Though I do like him, Gardiner, McStay and Clarke in one defence.

When I look at Brisbane's defence I can never help but think that there are no elite kicks once Adcock retires.

You aren't wrong.

It gets pretty cringy at times watching Harwood, Clarke, Goose, Merrett et al. chip the ball around in the back 50.

You aren't wrong.

It gets pretty cringy at times watching Harwood, Clarke, Goose, Merrett et al. chip the ball around in the back 50.
Clarke is like Tom McDonald. Good defender but should never ever kick the ball. Ever

Brisbane quite easily now.
Rockcliff/Liberatore
Beams/ Macrae
Aish/ Hrovat
Redden/Stringer (Next year will play there IMO)
Rich/ Dahlhaus
Taylor/Bonempelli
Christensen/ Stevens
Zorko/Smith

With the addition of Beams and the Dogs loss of Griffen it sways in the Lions favor now but, thing is what most don't know yet is we have a few F/S's coming through the next couple of years with big wraps on them as juniors that are mids, Romero's boys McPherson son and Rohan Smiths son and Scott Wests sons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rockcliff/Liberatore
Beams/ Macrae
Aish/ Hrovat
Redden/Stringer (Next year will play there IMO)
Rich/ Dahlhaus
Taylor/Bonempelli
Christensen/ Stevens
Zorko/Smith

With the addition of Beams and the Dogs loss of Griffen it sways in the Lions favor now but, thing is what most don't know yet is we have a few F/S's coming through the next couple of years with big wraps on them as juniors that are mids, Romero's boys McPherson son and Rohan Smiths son and Scott Wests sons.

At this stage imo

Rockliff beats Libba.
Beams beats Macrae.
Aish probably beat Hrovat on talent. Based of what I've seen of Hrovat since being at the Dogs.
Redden beats Stringer at this stage
Dahlhaus on output beats Rich(Rich due for a big 2015 imo)
Bontempelli probably has more elite traits than Taylor.
Christensen beats Stevens
Zorko beats Smith.

Hanley replaces one of Aish, Taylor or Christensen as a starting mid.

It's our midfield depth that it starting to look pretty good. Mayes,Robertson, Lester, O'Brien, Bewick, and Beams(Claye).

Hanley, Rockliff, Beams, Redden and Rich rotating with the other guys I mentioned along with Martin/Leuenberger rucking is a seriously good midfield. What's even better is the versatility in that group. They've all played multiple positions before(except for probably Redden) and played well there too.

Lions now. Beams and rockliff are a grade. Christensen is a b/b+ then you have aish,Mayes who look like they will be guns. Dogs were in front but lost griff and lions added two guns
True, but think the improvement next year of Hrovat and people forgetting Clay Smith is a damn good footballer but like Rich has been injured and Libba had a bit of a down year even though he won the B& F he will rocket back up next year with a better coach. i know some people with in the club and the father son mids coming through the next couple of years are going to make people go what the *...lol

True, but think the improvement next year of Hrovat and people forgetting Clay Smith is a damn good footballer but like Rich has been injured and Libba had a bit of a down year even though he won the B& F he will rocket back up next year with a better coach. i know some people with in the club and the father son mids coming through the next couple of years are going to make people go what the ****...lol
Rate the dogs mids mate I really do. Smith I know nothing about. My best mate is a doggies supporter so have a soft spot for you blokes. Griff was a gun so you weaken your mids to get the full forward the dogs have needed for over 10years. In a way it's making good of a s**t situation get the cancer's out of your club take a step or two back. Natural progression from stringer who already looks a freak,Libba who is a gun,you guys also got the s**t end of the stick with harbrow and ward getting poached add those two back in you're side you would be a 6-10 team. I see you guys being a port in 3years

Still reckon our young players will be more talented in the long run, but after this recent trade week, surely the Lions would have the better midfield unless some of our players take huge steps next year. I reckon Brisbane will have close to the best midfield next year. Maybe lacking a bit of inside grunt but the speed and outside pace that midfield will have is pretty scary.

Beams and Christensen into an already pretty strong midfield is massive. Dogs losing Cooney wasn't a huge deal because he wasn't doing a whole lot last year but Griffen even with the injury is a big loss. Really need guys like Jong and Stevens to have breakout years next year.

Still reckon our young players will be more talented in the long run, but after this recent trade week, surely the Lions would have the better midfield unless some of our players take huge steps next year. I reckon Brisbane will have close to the best midfield next year. Maybe lacking a bit of inside grunt but the speed and outside pace that midfield will have is pretty scary.

Beams and Christensen into an already pretty strong midfield is massive. Dogs losing Cooney wasn't a huge deal because he wasn't doing a whole lot last year but Griffen even with the injury is a big loss. Really need guys like Jong and Stevens to have breakout years next year.
They will big time IMO as well as Hrovat.

Rate the dogs mids mate I really do. Smith I know nothing about. My best mate is a doggies supporter so have a soft spot for you blokes. Griff was a gun so you weaken your mids to get the full forward the dogs have needed for over 10years. In a way it's making good of a s**t situation get the cancer's out of your club take a step or two back. Natural progression from stringer who already looks a freak,Libba who is a gun,you guys also got the s**t end of the stick with harbrow and ward getting poached add those two back in you're side you would be a 6-10 team. I see you guys being a port in 3years
Kicked 4 goals in his first game, needs to work on his kicking but can the kid go hard

Why does everyone include Lewis Taylor in the midfield, yes he can play there but seriously he doesn't even average a clearance a game.. Wingard barely played midfield at all last year and still doubled Taylor on clearances and nearly on contested possessions. It's like saying Jamie Elliot is a midfielder simply not true. If i wanted to list every small forward who can even remotely sometimes play midfield like Taylor does i'd be include Monfries into our midfield which is simply not accurate.

Taylor can play well as a midfielder. Anyone who doubts that is kidding themselves. Played more as a half forward flanker than anything.

I wish we had stats to metres gained and stuff. Because if he isn't even getting a clearance a game, you'd hope he would be going 75%+ disposal efficiency or getting a heap of metres gained at a minimum like the other wingers in the league. He doesn't win anywhere near enough contested possesions or tackles to be an inside mid and has barely any clearances or handball receives to be an outside mid so to be recognised as being capable to play mid i'd hope he has an elite kick or gains a s**t load of metres through runs to make up for that. Definitely a HFF at this stage of his career. Whether he has the ability to play midfield we are yet to see.

Brisbane are considerably ahead now they have two A grade mids in Rocky and Beams as well as probably the best depth in the competition. However, IMO the bulldogs younger talent (U23) is better then Brisbanes younger talent (U23).

I take Brisbane with my pick, with Beams being added to the list I think they have one of the best midfields in the league and in a couple of years will probably have the best in the league.

Back