Game Day Western Bulldogs Vs Richmond R1 NAB Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to see Matty Boyd have a couple of really good years in a back pocket to finish his career.

He reads the play well, has solid hands and is hard as nails. As long as he always looks from the handball option first he'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What di we think of Boyd's performance in the back pocket?
Played really smart. Used the hand ball more, only kicked long, to space or to sure things. I was pleasantly surprised

ruddy bullshit from the AFL that you have to subscribe to watch replays on their site.
If you have a vpn just switch your log in to another country and you can watch every AFL pre season game for free, and replays of them all whenever you like.
http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

It is the website for overseas subscribers, how we watch every game during the year.

Just watched the replay now as i was in Cuba and while they have cheap mojitos and cigars, internet is not their specialty.

Didn't take much from the game, dominated generally but same old story not punishing on the score board. Hopefully this changes as the pre-season goes on.

Redpath the clear standout for me, Toyd clearly isn't going to dominate this year, but if he makes a contest like he did today it will go a long way to straightening us up this year.

What do we think about Redpath playing deep and Boyd at CHF? I don't mind it as Reds speed off the mark is perfect leading out of the square. Love that they can both play either deep or up the ground quite well though. Just gives us so much freedom to move one to up the ground if they can't get their hands on it at FF or if it's an important moment swing Boyd deep again as he should be the more dominant of the two! Just love how well they compliment each other tbh. We have a spine guys, we have a spine!!! How much has changed in the space of an offseason.

Wont Matty Boyd be required to take up the shovel at the coalface in the midfield now that Libba has gone down? I would have thought a "first-hands" type of role would play to his strengths.

Wont Matty Boyd be required to take up the shovel at the coalface in the midfield now that Libba has gone down? I would have thought a "first-hands" type of role would play to his strengths.
Just think beveridge has made a clean break from boyd/Picken and will stick with it, despite Libba goin down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was really impressed with a few guys on sat some who I have even doubted on here , the opposition was very poor but I will give the players the benefit of the doubt.... The guys who I think stood out or played well that I have doubted were macrae Bonts Murphy Talia boyd redpath jong ...wood may have snuck in as well

Was really impressed with a few guys on sat some who I have even doubted on here , the opposition was very poor but I will give the players the benefit of the doubt.... The guys who I think stood out or played well that I have doubted were macrae Bonts Murphy Talia boyd redpath jong ...wood may have snuck in as well
You doubted Macrae, Bonti and murph?

Those that had Wallis in their 22 before Libba went down, who do you have replacing Libba in your 22?? I have Wallis replacing him, but didn't have Wallis in my 22 before the injury.
Clay Smith (when fit)

Those that had Wallis in their 22 before Libba went down, who do you have replacing Libba in your 22?? I have Wallis replacing him, but didn't have Wallis in my 22 before the injury.

the next best player on the list (haven't looked to be honest).

not necessarily a direct replacement for Libba as others will move up a peg

I don't think Bev will try and directly replace him but rather have players rotating through the role. He is pretty big on the rotations and adapting the game plan to suit the personel

Not a direct replacement but hope it means we can fit both Darley and Biggs in. Wallis to take up Libba's role and no named tagger, someone gets off the leash Picken can go to them.

Sam Darley comes in for mine. I'm going for a different tack here and adding another outside runner with class to the mix. I already have all of Wallis, Bontempelli, Jong, Stevens, Hrovat, M.Boyd, Picken in the team who all should role through the middle not to mention on occasion Stringer, Macrae and Dahlhaus + Crameri if available (so many who are all capable of rotating through there). From the gameplan I saw on Saturday we need more class and some speed and Darley provides both. I'm not going to replace a like for like just because we lost our best contested ball player, we might as well pick a player who is tailored to our current game plan.

Clay Smith is in direct competion with Wallis/Stevens/M.Boyd and I think with a couple of games in the VFL he will replace the worst performing of those 3 because when fit Smith is in my best 22.

B: Wood, Roughead, Morris
HB: Biggs, Talia, Darley
C: Murphy, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Hrovat, Redpath, Dahlhaus
FF: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hunter
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
Int: Picken, Stevens, M.Boyd
Sub: JJ/Grant

Italisised are all the players I believe should be capable of rotating through the guts. We have more than enough capable players, we might as well add some good ball use in Darley (he certainly is from the players I have examined a top 3 - 5 ball user at the club).

I know my best 22 belong in another thread but this is just to demonstrate realistically how many players who are capable of playing the inside mid role and can fit into a realistic best 22. Thats ten players who I believe should have stints in there, so its more than enough so Darley/JJ should slot onto the half back line and the other as sub.

Jong/Stevens/Hrovat/Wallis all need to take strides as players to somewhat cover for the loss of libba plus the reintroduction of Smith if some of those don't come on the way we hope.

Sam Darley comes in for mine. I'm going for a different tack here and adding another outside runner with class to the mix. I already have all of Wallis, Bontempelli, Jong, Stevens, Hrovat, M.Boyd, Picken in the team who all should role through the middle not to mention on occasion Stringer, Macrae and Dahlhaus + Crameri if available (so many who are all capable of rotating through there). From the gameplan I saw on Saturday we need more class and some speed and Darley provides both. I'm not going to replace a like for like just because we lost our best contested ball player, we might as well pick a player who is tailored to our current game plan.

Clay Smith is in direct competion with Wallis/Stevens/M.Boyd and I think with a couple of games in the VFL he will replace the worst performing of those 3 because when fit Smith is in my best 22.

B: Wood, Roughead, Morris
HB: Biggs, Talia, Darley
C: Murphy, Wallis, Macrae
HF: Hrovat, Redpath, Dahlhaus
FF: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hunter
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Jong
Int: Picken, Stevens, M.Boyd
Sub: JJ/Grant

Italisised are all the players I believe should be capable of rotating through the guts. We have more than enough capable players, we might as well add some good ball use in Darley (he certainly is from the players I have examined a top 3 - 5 ball user at the club).

I know my best 22 belong in another thread but this is just to demonstrate realistically how many players who are capable of playing the inside mid role and can fit into a realistic best 22. Thats ten players who I believe should have stints in there, so its more than enough so Darley/JJ should slot onto the half back line and the other as sub.

Jong/Stevens/Hrovat/Wallis all need to take strides as players to somewhat cover for the loss of libba plus the reintroduction of Smith if some of those don't come on the way we hope.

Great Post. I LOVE that backline. Don't be surprised if Biggs and Darley get time on the ball also, Murphy could then drop back to his usual HB post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back