Western Region FL - Divy 1 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well put Laverton Magpies.
In our comp money bags shifted the landscape with Marby and other clubs had to raise the bar. All I read in this forum is sooking from clubs about money bags new toy Deer Park. I'm told on good advice from our premiership coach that Deer Park have initiated sponsorship and coterie arrangements that will see them untouchable for years to come.
Didn't eddie ( the ****** President ) not go up to Div one after a premiership but waited to the club was ready.Looks a pretty wise move to me!
Maybe Parkside should have had a similar plan after playing in and trying to win so many Grand Finals.
With all due respect to your premiership coach, word coming out of Altona and Albion after the flags was that they too were cashed up with sponsors etc. we all know whàt happened after that. With an economic downturn coming, clubs will have to alter their forecasts and be prepared for sponsors saying "sorry, we're struggling."

Good spot. Read they haven't fully paid him for capt/coaching back in 2011. Pretty ordinary as he did the job for $20,000 which is cheap in this market. They still owe him $7500 and want to pay $400 a month in instalments. I wouldn't be happy with that. Pretty poor from Albion.. Gee whiz a lot of clubs struggling financially in the WRFL it would appear..

The way I read it was that the club paid exactly what was contracted but a verbal agreement between the then President and Manton were the only funds yet to be paid?
Wonder if Glenn Manton is telling the tax man about his cash payments??

The way I read it was that the club paid exactly what was contracted but a verbal agreement between the then President and Manton were the only funds yet to be paid?

Good point about the tax however I'm sure it will be paid by cheque so will be taxed. Your right on the verbal agreement but either way it should have been paid in full in 2011 not 5 years later if they make monthly payments.
He must have been doing someone a favour as 20k for a playing coach of his statue is approx 25% less than market price.

Good point about the tax however I'm sure it will be paid by cheque so will be taxed. Your right on the verbal agreement but either way it should have been paid in full in 2011 not 5 years later if they make monthly payments.
He must have been doing someone a favour as 20k for a playing coach of his statue is approx 25% less than market price.

Funny that the coach stated in the record for that year was Marcus Barclay and I am positive he was the one addressing the side on both occasions against Hoppers. If it had of been me no money would have been agreed upon on the basis of a verbal agreement, especially if there is already a contract in place for playing?

Funny that the coach stated in the record for that year was Marcus Barclay and I am positive he was the one addressing the side on both occasions against Hoppers. If it had of been me no money would have been agreed upon on the basis of a verbal agreement, especially if there is already a contract in place for playing?

Gee this footy brainstorming is getting somewhere as I think your correct in that Marcus was actually coaching them in the proper sense. Maybe they used Mantons name and he might have been really an assistant/mentoring role. So now 20k is starting to sound right. Still believe he should be paid what was agreed but yes a verbal agreement is always a difficult one. Still like to think your word is your word however nothing in the article from the president at the time. Looks like another mess left for big Gav Taylor to fix up to keep his beloved club afloat..
Another one of the "older" clubs in an area which requires hard word to keep juniors. Keep battling cats..

Is this the same bloke with a bolt through his old fella?
He definately wasn't coaching the cats. Barclay was.
If it was a verbal agreement with the president why drag the club into it. Surely he is big enough and ugly enough to sort it out man to man.

Is this the same bloke with a bolt through his old fella?
He definately wasn't coaching the cats. Barclay was.
If it was a verbal agreement with the president why drag the club into it. Surely he is big enough and ugly enough to sort it out man to man.

Marcus was coach. Pretty sure that he didn't get all of the coin that he was promised either

Ignorance my friend . Its not the clubs responsibility when paying players for cash. The responsibility is on the individual if he wants to declare it. In tax definition its termed "as a leisure activity"leaving up to the individual for he or she to declare. If the p[layer decides to declare to use against expenses it he or she must then ask for the club for a group certificate and the club is then liable to pay the tax
Football clubs are non for profit

Im pretty sure the President at the time used to pay for a fair bit out of his own pocket with out running it past the clubs commitee.
Manton ended up playing in a premiership that year (as a player/ not coach)
Its a shame that things like these rear their heads and even more of a shame that so many people promise a lot and deliver little.

So the WRFL needs to do whatever they can, to ensure this doesn't happen again. And to do this they need to get out and meet with the clubs, and listen to their concerns, and provide whatever they reasonably can, to help each club grow.
Hahaha, the WRFL listen to clubs and help clubs?

In all seriousness, I like your post because I think you are on the money.

They've grown the competition too quickly by expanding to three divisions, not shown any care whatsoever towards the Under 18 or junior competitions, and stood back and watched as Deer Park created the most lopsided and uneven competition in Metropolitan Melbourne. Two or three clubs tried to match it with Deer Park and nearly killed themselves in the process, some are standing back and waiting for the Deer Park juggernaut to stop. But the longer the everybody waits, the more nails will appear in the coffins of some clubs.

The league should've gone to 8 teams in Div 1 a couple of years ago (final four), that's realistically all that can compete in Div 1 at this point in time.

Marcus was coach. Pretty sure that he didn't get all of the coin that he was promised either
I am close to Marcus from our EDFL days hence knowing he was the coach that year and listening to him address his players, you are totally incorrect to suggest he is owed money and was paid his full contract amount.
Any predictions for the coming year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I stand to be corrected on this but from what I understand Parkside did advertise the coaching position after the season and Nathan wasn't impressed. He was then reappointed but it was late in the process (I think Dec) as Nathan was on holidays. I believe this situation was not managed well causing some unrest at the time as there was meetings to discuss going up or staying down. To my understanding Nathan wanted the club to move forward and play div1 however there was some concerns, so not everyone pulling in the same direction..
Once again I do stand to be corrected on some detail but the basis of my post is correct.

I stand to be corrected on this but from what I understand Parkside did advertise the coaching position after the season and Nathan wasn't impressed. He was then reappointed but it was late in the process (I think Dec) as Nathan was on holidays. I believe this situation was not managed well causing some unrest at the time as there was meetings to discuss going up or staying down. To my understanding Nathan wanted the club to move forward and play div1 however there was some concerns, so not everyone pulling in the same direction..
Once again I do stand to be corrected on some detail but the basis of my post is correct.

heard club was told by league div 1 so they put ads out for coaches Nathan and couple of others applied and interviewed he was appointed. i know from parks people they had meetings with league but were told no options. pretty hard to pull in different dierctions if your all pushed into one but if you were in meetings with league etc i can be stand corected too

Also Nathan had little time to assemble a coaching panel etc as Parkside left it up in the air for a period of time. IMO Nathan has done well to keep going until now. From all reports his a good coach/person so hope he finds another club to work with this year..
My last word is coaching is not easy these days (not that I've coached) and you don't off load a coach unless you have a better option available..

Throwing in a bit of humour - Go after the Laverton Magpie as his talents are wasted on this forum. He is a magpie, so that's surely a good start.. Only kidding as I've already enquired about his future.. Lol

heard club was told by league div 1 so they put ads out for coaches Nathan and couple of others applied and interviewed he was appointed. i know from parks people they had meetings with league but were told no options. pretty hard to pull in different dierctions if your all pushed into one but if you were in meetings with league etc i can be stand corected too

G'day Ceduna, Can I reply with one thing. In div2 if you have a good side and go after a premiership you need to plan for next year if you win it.
I'm told the club powers direction was mixed the first week after winning the flag. Also didn't they take a while to make the coaching appointment? If true that's not good. Either start making enquires during the last half of the season or stick with your current premiership coach..Show direction-Be proactive..

You know the saying, you snooze you lose!!

G'day Ceduna, Can I reply with one thing. In div2 if you have a good side and go after a premiership you need to plan for next year if you win it.
I'm told the club powers direction was mixed the first week after winning the flag. Also didn't they take a while to make the coaching appointment? If true that's not good. Either start making enquires during the last half of the season or stick with your current premiership coach..Show direction-Be proactive..

You know the saying, you snooze you lose!!
Here's one of the major problems with Parkside and I coached against them for 3 season's... They never looked bigger picture and that was there downfall to this point.. I say this in as much as over the period where they finished top 3 for who knows how many years (and good on them) but in that time they either recruited, kept or didn't recruit (depends on which way you want to look at it) for the future and for when the time was there to go up that they would have all the resources to take that step up. I've said this before and I'll always get bagged for naming these blokes (and don't get me wrong as they are supposed to be good blokes and I am not questioning that or their ability - at Div 2) but by keeping Mo and Peter Kruegger and paying them whatever amount they paid, that money is part of the clubs player budget and at the end of the day they were players that were a) not going to win you a flag off their own boot and b) were not going to be up to it at Div 1 level. So the club had to make some hard decisions and either offer them half the amount that they did and spend the saved money elsewhere (if they chose to stay then great but if they left- so be it) or increase the playing budget but with VUT just around the corner and many kids coming from all over the state to study Human Movement, PE and all other subjects as well there could have been (over many years mind you) many initiatives used to leverage off these kids moving to Melb/Footscray/Maribrynong/etc and luring them over.
Ultimately Parkside have been a club that had many flat track bullies that were always going to finish top 3 but never excel, never have any forethought and kept using the same recipe for so many years... Last year seemed to be the best efforts to recruit younger, more lively types of players and with Kryueeger gone only carrying one 'heavier and slower body' into a final series and they won a flag...
Again I say that too many clubs are old school without much clarity, vision and they simply refuse to look bigger picture because of either fear of offending people at the club, breaking the culture, following traditions or merely just not having any initiative and setting some semblance of a plan to move forward.... In a division of say for example 10 clubs, only 1 club will win a flag every year. If all things were equal that would mean your club would win 1 flag every 10 years yet nearly ALL clubs have a simple mentality that their club is or should be that 1 club that wins a flag every year or even make finals every year... So clubs appoint a coach and expect them to perform miracles in 1-2 years and if they don't it is there fault! 9 clubs out of every 10 in that case fail every year and remember that all things are not equal so the lower clubs may not win a flag in 15-20 years... What intrigues me is that so many supporters think they know best and them having bought 5 beers at the club every Thursday night and Saturday for 10 years some sort of expert on the clubs fortunes? Until committees and coaches are prepared to come in and actually set out a plan, communicate that plan to players, members and supporters and let those employed to do a job actually do that job, it will be you old school (many knobs) folk that will be doing your club the most harm and limiting its chance of survival...

So are Parkside still going to front up in Division 1 this season? Sorry, in all the smoke and mirrors with that drawn out statement, I am still not sure what their plans are for this season? The players are blamed (you recruited and payed the wrong blokes). They don't have a ground for pre-season (welcome to the club - get creative). They don't have any juniors (Laziness over a number of years). So instead of looking for excuses, how about the committee put their hand up and say that they are part of the problem, and they have now got their right whack for being flat track bullies for so many years.

So are Parkside still going to front up in Division 1 this season? Sorry, in all the smoke and mirrors with that drawn out statement, I am still not sure what their plans are for this season? The players are blamed (you recruited and payed the wrong blokes). They don't have a ground for pre-season (welcome to the club - get creative). They don't have any juniors (Laziness over a number of years). So instead of looking for excuses, how about the committee put their hand up and say that they are part of the problem, and they have now got their right whack for being flat track bullies for so many years.

Wont be playing in DIV 1 this season. Interested to see how this plays out. Not sure that the other 9 teams will be thrilled to have a couple of byes for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back