Missing The 90s

All Australian
Apr 26, 2009
Ainsworth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sunshine Heights
Sunshine Heights Football Club is back in full training as the Dragons prepare for season 2016.

The club is hungry for success and great strides are being taken to ensure that 2016 takes the club forward. From new sponsorships to retaining and adding to our coaching staff and playing group, everything is looking positive.

We are always looking for enthusiastic and committed players to join our ranks. If you are interested in playing with the Dragons in 2016 and beyond, please don’t hesitate to come down to training (Monday and Wednesday nights at Tallintyre Reserve, West Sunshine. Next to Glengala Primary School. Gym sessions Thursdays TBC).

If you would like more information, please contact myself on here or message our administrator on our Facebook Page at https://www.facebook.com/sunshineheightsfc/ and they will get you in touch with the right people.

Good luck to all clubs in 2016.

Go Heights!

trucka

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Any truth to the rumour that Deer Park are poaching local div 1 u/19s?? Paying $$$ for players to go across to the powerhouse!!

Considering 10 of the 11 clearances put through by DP so far are U18 players from last year, I'd say big chance! If only half of them played a Senior game together in 2017, under points system, that would be 30% of their points as U19 not counted as Juniors

Last edited:

Time to relax

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
Sunshine
AFL Club
Carlton
Considering 10 of the 11 clearances put through by DP so far are U18 players from last year, I'd say big chance! If only half of them played a Senior game together in 2017, under points system, that would be 30% of their points as U19 not countered as Juniors

Deer Park not the only club (very sad for local clubs) :thumbsdown:

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Deer Park not the only club (very sad for local clubs) :thumbsdown:

Hey mate, understand it's not a good situation but guessing it won't just be 18s that are being offered things, but maybe even younger top end talent. I'm not a great believer in the points system and guessing like everything people will find ways to beat the system. I wonder if the afl even thought about this situation when putting together this points system. Probably not!!

onetime

Draftee
Dec 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey mate, understand it's not a good situation but guessing it won't just be 18s that are being offered things, but maybe even younger top end talent. I'm not a great believer in the points system and guessing like everything people will find ways to beat the system. I wonder if the afl even thought about this situation when putting together this points system. Probably not!!
I know for a fact that Deer Park have offered and paid younger top end talent than u18s even going back to 2010 and to make it even more sad the league know all about it and
cant do nothing about it.

Mounzer11

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Good on Deer Park, if you've got the resources to do it, why not?

All this does is increases the amount of average footballers who expectations of payments outweigh their actual football ability.
I know its a different comp but I was recently told that a couple of Aberfeldie's 3's players were now getting $300 a game to go a play at Coburg Districts.....not 2s players, 3s players!!! This is madness that footballers of this ability are being paid to play.
Resources or not, this is not a good thing.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
All this does is increases the amount of average footballers who expectations of payments outweigh their actual football ability.
I know its a different comp but I was recently told that a couple of Aberfeldie's 3's players were now getting $300 a game to go a play at Coburg Districts.....not 2s players, 3s players!!! This is madness that footballers of this ability are being paid to play.

Play for what your are worth and then there are less expectations on you.
Play where you are happy and can build friends.
I can't see the enjoyment of winning every game by big margins, but would much rather try and get a club a premiership that hasn't won one in a while.

Regarding the 3rds players this is a difficult one unless we have players names, but Coburg Districts are in a tough area and don't think they have 18s and maybe no 16s, plus they are in div3. So they need to recruit from somewhere but they do need to be careful not to offer players overs. If true 300 is a bit much for a div3 side unless they are going to dominate.

LavertonMagpie

All Australian
Feb 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
You may want to check your sources on that one... I know Chris Tankard very well (coach of CD) and there is not a chance he/they'd be doing that... I call bullsh#t

Great2splayer

All Australian
Nov 1, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I just don't see any reason why a footballer would want to play at DP other than cash..? If you played all juniors and then became a fringe player at a young age you may sneak a few games in (the seniors) but the following year you'll certainly be replaced either by 18s or a mercenary senior player (there twos were putrid last year). The team they have changes every year, what happens when the money runs out??

Hearing 2-4k sign ons plus commitment to play a number of senior games is the main offer on the table.. Are other clubs doing this?

Mounzer11

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
You may want to check your sources on that one... I know Chris Tankard very well (coach of CD) and there is not a chance he/they'd be doing that... I call bullsh#t

Maybe it is mate, but I know for a fact a PEGS 2s player left midway through the year to join CD on around $150 per game.
So this would not surprise me at all.

Mounzer11

Team Captain
Dec 8, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Reserves isn't!

That's my point. I've seen many C Section reserves games and there ain't too many players I would pay $25 a game let alone $150.
The problem with the current inflated payments is that it is the community that are paying for it....not corporates, not some massive TV rights deal. Whether they are local sponsors or the punters buying beers at the game, its the community forking out the cash. And, its gotten to the point of madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back