Remove this Banner Ad

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Futures League/u23s/2nd XI kicked off today with WA hosing Victoria at the WACA.

WA 4/422 (96o)
Wells 188 n.o
Carder 182

The pair put on 326 for the 2nd wicket.

Excellent. Heard the sportfm guys talking about this game and how Kyle Gardiner bowled very well over the weekend. Would love to see a leggie come through.

I actually thought Wells had come to develop into a reasonably consistent player for Tassie. I know they put an enormous amount of patience into him and were a bit underwhelmed by the payoff, but felt his career was at least tracking in the right direction.

It's good to have a few guys competing for at the fringes for the roles that come up once our internationals start their commitments. Wells, Bosisto, Carder and Beaton all have the opportunity to push for their inclusion over the next few weeks. Looks like Cartwright made an impression yesterday too.

Coulter-Nile ruled out for a month/3 Shield games with a shoulder injury. Opens the door for Paris? Given I doubt Shaun will make the Test squad...

INTERNATIONALS AVAILABLE
Cameron Bancroft
Marcus Harris
Michael Klinger
Adam Voges (c)
Shaun Marsh
Mitch Marsh
Sam Whiteman (+)
Ashton Agar
Mitchell Johnson
Joel Paris
Jason Behrendorff

INTERNATIONALS UNAVAILABLE
Marcus Harris
Michael Klinger (c)
Shaun Marsh
Jonathan Wells
Sam Whiteman (+)
Hilton Cartwright
Ashton Turner
Ashton Agar
Joel Paris
Jason Behrendorff
Matt Dixon

Dixon was really impressive for the CA XI and I'm not sure what Mackin's form/fitness is like (I think he went wicketless in the Futures) so Matty may get a Shield spot early on this season. Cartwright has been in good form and we could use him as a 4th seamer. I want Turner to get a shot in the Shield while a few of the normal bats are unavailable. This season could be make or break for his Shield career, keeps promising but hasn't had much of a shot.

Coulter-Nile ruled out for a month/3 Shield games with a shoulder injury. Opens the door for Paris? Given I doubt Shaun will make the Test squad...

INTERNATIONALS AVAILABLE
Cameron Bancroft
Marcus Harris
Michael Klinger
Adam Voges (c)
Shaun Marsh
Mitch Marsh
Sam Whiteman (+)
Ashton Agar
Mitchell Johnson
Joel Paris
Jason Behrendorff

INTERNATIONALS UNAVAILABLE
Marcus Harris
Michael Klinger (c)
Shaun Marsh
Jonathan Wells
Sam Whiteman (+)
Hilton Cartwright
Ashton Turner
Ashton Agar
Joel Paris
Jason Behrendorff
Matt Dixon

Dixon was really impressive for the CA XI and I'm not sure what Mackin's form/fitness is like (I think he went wicketless in the Futures) so Matty may get a Shield spot early on this season. Cartwright has been in good form and we could use him as a 4th seamer. I want Turner to get a shot in the Shield while a few of the normal bats are unavailable. This season could be make or break for his Shield career, keeps promising but hasn't had much of a shot.
You don't think Tye will get a run?

He could, but I'd rather the pace of Dixon. Mackin is ahead of Tye for me as well.
Fair enough reasoning and agree on how Dixon was bowling, really impressed with what I saw.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Got to a bit of grade cricket on Saturday - saw Mitch Johnson tear it up for Wanneroo, for obvious reasons can't really use it as a basis that he's going to do well in the upcoming test series but bloody hell what a nightmare for grade batsmen.

Apparently Mackin had a big day out with the ball on Sunday so that may come under consideration. Hogan took a five for as well.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Got to a bit of grade cricket on Saturday - saw Mitch Johnson tear it up for Wanneroo, for obvious reasons can't really use it as a basis that he's going to do well in the upcoming test series but bloody hell what a nightmare for grade batsmen.

Apparently Mackin had a big day out with the ball on Sunday so that may come under consideration. Hogan took a five for as well.

You lucky man. It must be great to see Johnson play at a grade ground. Was it well attended?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah there was a pretty decent attendance there. It wasn't overly publicised, but a mate text me on Friday saying that people were saying he'd be playing. The lucky part was that I could only really go for a couple of hours in the morning - was a big relief to see the Wanneroo boys out in the field that's for sure!

I don't know if it's just perception, but I don't think he was using his full run up. There are some pretty impressive athletes in grade cricket, but the gulf between them and Johnson is remarkable - moves like a cat stalking his prey, smooth yet so menacing.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah there was a pretty decent attendance there. It wasn't overly publicised, but a mate text me on Friday saying that people were saying he'd be playing. The lucky part was that I could only really go for a couple of hours in the morning - was a big relief to see the Wanneroo boys out in the field that's for sure!

I don't know if it's just perception, but I don't think he was using his full run up. There are some pretty impressive athletes in grade cricket, but the gulf between them and Johnson is remarkable - moves like a cat stalking his prey, smooth yet so menacing.

He's a graceful batsman and when he's in good nick in the field, that's exactly what he looks like. One of the English bloggers wrote about him looking like cruiser weight boxer.

Wanneroo must love it when he plays, they probably double their bar and/or tuckshop takings.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I like that they are taking the cautious approach with Paris. We have such a worrying record with injuries to fast bowlers (WA and Australia) that it makes sense. Plus, bowling is hardly our weak link at the moment.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
According to Wayne Clark on 91.3 he is flying up to Sydney to play in the futures league game tomorrow night so I think they genuinely thought Hogan would be the best selection for this match as opposed to being cautious.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Johno is a freak athlete. considering his height he would have made a good AFL player too i reckon.

Johno is a freak athlete. considering his height he would have made a good AFL player too i reckon.
As a pure physical specimen the only superior athlete in the AFL would be Buddy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back