Wfl 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like he made the right move leaving the wimmera to have a shot at the big time. Apparently there is a chance he may be back at minyip-murtoa this weekend as bendigo have a bye.
What are Willo and the Burras up to??? I thought they would be too good for Harvey's boys. It will only get harder for the Burras with only about 5 senior players training with the main group. You dont have to be a brain surgeon to know that the blokes in Melbourne and wherever wont train properly now that its cold and wet outside. Its looking like a 2 horse race already after only 3 rounds. Warrack seem the only other threat.
Come on Burra's Lift!!!!

Looks like he made the right move leaving the wimmera to have a shot at the big time. Apparently there is a chance he may be back at minyip-murtoa this weekend as bendigo have a bye.

This was in todays Bendigo Advertiser 27-4-09

Lachlan Delahunty - classed as the Bombers’ 23rd player for the match under a new VFL rule for the round - showed plenty of promise.

Playing up forward, the 18-year-old in his first game presented well, but his kicking at goal in the tricky conditions let him down.

From three shots in the third quarter, Delahunty kicked two points, as well as one that didn’t make the distance."

interesting start to the season, seems as tho apart from the Dees and Saints all the other teams are on a reasonably level playing field - hopefully makes for a very competitive season, would be nice to be able to go to the footy a majority of the time and not actually know who was gunna win!!

Injury toll mounting for the Burras.

Adam Carter- 8 weeks hamstring.
Scott Finnigan – Knee Season.
Corey Waldron – Brain Fade Season
Lachie Trethowan – Knee Season
Jo Milgate – Shoulder season
Jarred Newell – Shoulder 8 weeks
What about Lanyon - Shoulder 6 - 8 weeks????
And how bad is Midgely??
They are in a world of trouble. Willow cant play every position on the ground (Why is he taking kick in duties???) and if all they've got to come in is Scotty Arnold ( with all respect to Scotty, who's a great bloke ) things wont get any easier for both the results or the clubs cheque book.

Midgely had some sense knocked into him as he lost consciousness so he will probably be an even bigger star now. I guess Willow was plugging holes.
Heard from one of the Burra boys yesterday that Scott Arnold, who was likely to help fill in the large injury gap, tore his quad at training this week. More bad luck for the Kookoos

Would like a quick guide to beer prices around the league gentlemen. I've only been to seen Horsham, United and Saints home games.

United - $3.50 heavy
light

Saints - $4.00 heavy:eek:
$3.50 light :eek:

Hey Crow. What did you think of yesterdays game? Did you think the umpires had a bearing on the result? The confusion over the score was laughable. Two goal umpires and two field umpires and nobody knows the score!!!!
I'm not gunna enter all this blame the umpires for the result of the game. But there was a few decisions that went against Stawell and a few different interpretations that went against both sides. Particuly the Brent Tuckey non-mark which was clearly a mark in the goal square with about 2 mins to go and 5 or so points down. The umpiring interpretations ruined a very good game of football.

All in all i thought it was a top game of footy with both sides having to fight hard right until the end and it literally came down to the last kick of the day. Or at least we think it did.

Yeah, all that's fair enough. The whole game was just over umpired. Tuckey took the grab and only the central umpires thought otherwise. I thought it was a great game of footy.
Very true was far to over umpired they just didn't let even the smallest infraction go. Which can affect the game for both sides.

I know it's often a hot topic but I have to say, Stawell has the best groung in the Wimmera League. You can forget all that MCG groung size crap, this is country footy. The city oval has no soul, it's grounds like Stawell, Murtoa and Dimboola that really bring the crowds alive.
I reckon any ground where you can't get a car into in country footy brings out the best of the crowd. Eg Stawell where there are people all around the ground hurling abuse or just supporting the team it brings a real feel to country footy. Instead of just listening to the odd car horn. And yet I still have people from Ararat telling me that Alexandra poops all over Central.

The Rodents are allowed to love their nest and I would take it over city oval any day but for me those old grandstand make you feel like your on the ground. Ever noticed how the Stawell people don't generally sit up in the club room to watch the game? That's because all the atmosphere is outside the glass. That's completely opposite to city oval.
Everyone raved about the Saints Stawell game at Murtoa last year, that's because it's another ground where the crowd feels involved.
Very true a lot better to sit on the hill near the tanks or in the stands great atmosphere

Very true a lot better to sit on the hill near the tanks or in the stands great atmosphere
Another dominate display by the Saints. Hargraeves was good early but Butsch as the loose man and second man up against hargraeves made him move to centre half back in the last term. Gavin Kelm again kicked a bag and with Combe to come in next week should create even more headaches against the Burras. Interesting to note that Burgess kicked 6 in the 2nds as well as knocking a bloke out of which he copped a yellow card and no report. Can the Saints keep up this form or will they drop an easy one, like they did last year???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Slenko, hows the city oval holding up?

Hey FP

Have not seen it since Super Saturday but was holding up pk.

The rain last weekend and now the basin should have a fair amount of water in it to keep moisture up to it.

I think problem will come if we get lots of rain real quick. With other grounds still not ready, if it cuts up with wet weather there is no reprieve for it.

How are other Wimmera grounds travelling?

Stawell & Ararat should be doing fine and Nhill is like carpet I am told.

Dimboola, Warracknabeal/Brim, Minyip/Murtoa and Coughlin Park seem to be the problem grounds still.

Don’t get to far ahead of your self there Bezza, the Saints might give the Burras a touch up this week but be careful calling any game an ‘easy one’ this year. The Saints have a bit of a history of getting a bit carried away.
I think you missed the point. This is the type of game that they are likely to lose!!!
Anyway, on to more important news.....
Shane Rathgeaber (Stawell FC Pres.) made a git out of himself by carrying on Lleyton Hewitt style after the umpires decission on Saturday. Not only did he sook it up when the decission not to award the mark to Tuckey was made, he had another crack at the umpires during the presentations later on that night. Take a leaf out of Tuckey's book Pres., show some humility!!! If you were in front at the time it wouldn't have mattered. The game's played over 2hrs not 30seconds. And like most of us that are frustrated at times with the quality of the umpiring in the Wimmera league, either put up or shut up!! No one wants the job, so what are we to do???:confused:

Warrack is pretty good but have not seen Brim. Coughlin park still patchy but well past being dangerous. Have not seen minyip and last time I saw Murtoa it was terrible.

Sounds like the whole league could be in some trouble if we got lots of rain in a short space.

Most of the grounds with little grass coverage would chop up real bad and not sure City Oval can hold the traffic for too long.

Might have to play all games Nhill, Stawell & Ararat.

Murtoa looked great today, and the fisheaters dung hill is coming along well and will be ready for their home game againist the rodents in a fortnight.

Everyone is talking about the mark that wasn’t paid but I can’t believe the goal umpires not knowing the scores has gone through to the keeper. Did the Burras win by three points or by eight points? Most people at the ground had a goal that was counted as a point. The two goal umpires apparently could not agree on the scores and the field umpires were on their way off the ground so they went as well.

If this happened with the goal umpires, it would be very concerning.

The Wimmera Umpires Association convinced the WFL they had to go with independent goal umpires to keep their standing in the VCFL.

Since they were introduced not one report has been made by the goal umpires and they appear to make more mistakes than the previous club volunteers. It simply costs more now than the previous system with no real improvement.

All it has created is a career path for retiring field umpires who cannot keep up with the game. The Wimmera Umpires Association (WUA) appears to be one of the very few umpire associations that have no prerequisite for fitness level to get a senior WFL game. Yet they keep screaming for more money.

About time the WFL put some conditions on the WUA and maybe even a situation where the clubs rank the umpires on a weekly basis and the umpires with the highest aggregate and highest averages get the Grand Final.

Many budding new umpires have walked away from the WUA as they were told it was not their turn to get a GF!!! If they are the best umpires for the year why shouldn't they get a GF?

Maybe with some added prefessionalism they may just attract some new umpires that aren't next generation of what we already have.

Any club which has half its team train away and especially the big name stars (or not train at all and just go to the gym and cut a few laps of the oval) will always struggle. Take note Burras, Stawell, Warrak and Nhill their big recruits dont show up during the week for training which never is good in the for long term futures and no good for team bonding. United are going along much better than last year due to a committment on the track and some good influx of home grown junior talent like Byrnes, Wills, Mines and Chapple and a few knocking on the door such as Tom McGrath, and Todd Klemm along with U17's Al Byrne, Jae McGrath and Scott Davidson ready to go for next season in the ones. That is why Horsham have been so good for so long because of fostering junior talent and you only have to look at Stevenson, Blake, Haase and Lloyd still to come. Bit of a worry for Messers Dumensy & Eastwell with the Demons current Under 14's side getting smashed eachweekend - maybe the footy parents are now finally starting to realise that there is more than one club in town to send their sons to for a kick!! The reign has ended!! Seems though that all U14 boys have all gone to HarrowB, Saints or travelling out to MM and Nhill as it is a major worry at U14 level to see three major city based clubs (Stawell, United & Horsham) along with Dimboola kicking a grand total of 202 points between which is still less than Nhill who are fifth placed! Does not look good for them for the next few years for those clubs to pull from the junior ranks.

Any club which has half its team train away and especially the big name stars (or not train at all and just go to the gym and cut a few laps of the oval) will always struggle. Take note Burras, Stawell, Warrak and Nhill their big recruits dont show up during the week for training which never is good in the for long term futures and no good for team bonding. United are going along much better than last year due to a committment on the track and some good influx of home grown junior talent like Byrnes, Wills, Mines and Chapple and a few knocking on the door such as Tom McGrath, and Todd Klemm along with U17's Al Byrne, Jae McGrath and Scott Davidson ready to go for next season in the ones. That is why Horsham have been so good for so long because of fostering junior talent and you only have to look at Stevenson, Blake, Haase and Lloyd still to come. Bit of a worry for Messers Dumensy & Eastwell with the Demons current Under 14's side getting smashed eachweekend - maybe the footy parents are now finally starting to realise that there is more than one club in town to send their sons to for a kick!! The reign has ended!! Seems though that all U14 boys have all gone to HarrowB, Saints or travelling out to MM and Nhill as it is a major worry at U14 level to see three major city based clubs (Stawell, United & Horsham) along with Dimboola kicking a grand total of 202 points between which is still less than Nhill who are fifth placed! Does not look good for them for the next few years for those clubs to pull from the junior ranks.
Nardoo, Didn't you post the same thing some weeks ago????
Do you have nothing further to add to this discussion???

I think you missed the point. This is the type of game that they are likely to lose!!!
Anyway, on to more important news.....
Shane Rathgeaber (Stawell FC Pres.) made a git out of himself by carrying on Lleyton Hewitt style after the umpires decission on Saturday. Not only did he sook it up when the decission not to award the mark to Tuckey was made, he had another crack at the umpires during the presentations later on that night. Take a leaf out of Tuckey's book Pres., show some humility!!! If you were in front at the time it wouldn't have mattered. The game's played over 2hrs not 30seconds. And like most of us that are frustrated at times with the quality of the umpiring in the Wimmera league, either put up or shut up!! No one wants the job, so what are we to do???:confused:
If history is anything to go by the type they are likely to lose is the Grand Final. I'm looking foward to seeing St Micks do their best at our beloved Minyip ground this week but I think the result may be the same as last year. I'll buy you a few beers Oakey, win lose or draw, I can't imagine they pay you much over there at WUC. And Pump, I'll have a beer with you to, but maybe you should shout us both?

Do you have nothing further to add to this discussion???[/quote

Well Grave Fairyball if you can find it then I'll cop a whack but pretty sure its not there other than today. Obviously you dont have anything of worth to add to this discussion!

Do you have nothing further to add to this discussion???[/quote

Well Grave Fairyball if you can find it then I'll cop a whack but pretty sure its not there other than today. Obviously you dont have anything of worth to add to this discussion!

Pretty sure i've read that before to Nard's. The old copy and Paste trick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back