Science/Environment Whaling - What's The Big Deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are multiple people in this thread suggesting environmentalists don't have an issue with battery farming?
The point is that Greenpeace, the WWF, etc. typically don't concern themselves much with animal rights issues. Pretty much the only time they interest themselves in animals is when it's an ecological issue - the species is endangered or the ecosystem is being damaged. Pure welfare matters are usually pursued by welfare-focused organisations like PETA.

Look at the WWF for example - the panda is their iconic symbol, but the section of their section on pandas is all about conservation. I'm not sure they even mention the mistreatment of the animal in Chinese zoos. Which is fair enough - conservation is their core businesses.

It just confuses me why whaling is different. It's not an ecological issue, but it is one of the flagship campaigns of many ecologically-focused organisations.

I liked the explanation someone gave - that it was once an environmental issue and it was a big 'win' for the environmental movement, so they have trouble letting go. That makes sense. It is a great marketing tool after all - the slogan 'save the whales' is practically synonymous with Greenpeace.

Why isn't shark finning given the publicity that whaling recieves?? far more worse

Exactly!

If only this truly barbaric practice was highlighted in the same manner as whaling.

Couple it with over-fishing in general and there is a cause(s) worth fighting for.

Having been deeply involved in wildlife conservation for well over 20 years at a professional level, I am constantly frustrated and bemused as to how, and why, these fringe issues, (like whaling), gain such traction.

Don't worry. I understand why completely. But it shits me no end.

Exactly!

If only this truly barbaric practice was highlighted in the same manner as whaling.

Couple it with over-fishing in general and there is a cause(s) worth fighting for.

Having been deeply involved in wildlife conservation for well over 20 years at a professional level, I am constantly frustrated and bemused as to how, and why, these fringe issues, (like whaling), gain such traction.

Don't worry. I understand why completely. But it shits me no end.

shark finning is absolutley abhorent and disgusting, i wouldnt know a greater form of barbarity in existence with human interaction with other species, if anyone has seen footage (i.e on youtube) it is actually distressing to watch. How about Save the f***ing sharks!! Do people even realise how important they are to the eco system

shark finning is absolutley abhorent and disgusting, i wouldnt know a greater form of barbarity in existence with human interaction with other species, if anyone has seen footage (i.e on youtube) it is actually distressing to watch. How about Save the f***ing sharks!! Do people even realise how important they are to the eco system

Unfortunately a lot of people don't like sharks, because some attack humans who invade their territory.

The Norwegians and Icelanders actually do it in the same waters they've whaled for centuries so the traditional excuse actually holds water

they should be made to do it seal skin canoes or at least Viking longboats - at least then it would be a fairer fight. Come to think of it, it would probably make a half decent decent reality TV. show. I'd watch Bjork standing on the front of a longboat and harpooning a whale during a high wind in the Norweigan Sea.

they should be made to do it seal skin canoes or at least Viking longboats - at least then it would be a fairer fight. Come to think of it, it would probably make a half decent decent reality TV. show. I'd watch Bjork standing on the front of a longboat and harpooning a whale during a high wind in the Norweigan Sea.

I'd watch it!

As long as she doesn't sing.

Ever again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Splitting hairs somewhat.

No, not really. While they might overlap sometimes (animal cruelty), there are fundamental differences. For example, an AR position would be completely opposed to using animals for things such as meat and medical testing (even as far as keeping pets). An AW position isn't against these kind of things, but emphasises humane treatment.

No, not really. While they might overlap sometimes (animal cruelty), there are fundamental differences. For example, an AR position would be completely opposed to using animals for things such as meat and medical testing (even as far as keeping pets). An AW position isn't against these kind of things, but emphasises humane treatment.

Either way , PETA are a bunch of hypocritical capitalist phonies.

PETA take real concerns of animal cruelty, then make the public not care about it. Sometimes the message is there, but the delivery is poor.

They also euthanise something like 80% of the animals they take in ,in their own gas chambers . Compare this to any other animal shelter .

They also euthanise something like 80% of the animals they take in ,in their own gas chambers . Compare this to any other animal shelter .

They also want to stamp out domestic pets, saying it's cruel to stop them from doing what they would in the wild.

PETA & RSPCA, are my most hated animal organisations.

They also want to stamp out domestic pets, saying it's cruel to stop them from doing what they would in the wild.

PETA & RSPCA, are my most hated animal organisations.

Why the hate for RSPCA?

Animal Welfare:
chickens.jpg

Animal Rights:
0wDP2by.gif

What I mean is that the distinction isn't particularly relevant to the point I'm making.

I was replying to your PETA reference. They are a rights-based organisation. They don't even agree with people keeping pets.

Exactly, they want all domestic pets to be let free & fend for themselves. I'm sure many loved pets would disagree, they are happy being well feed & treated with love, rather than having to fight to exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back