What are dead giveaways that you won't like someone

Remove this Banner Ad

Complete lack of self-confidence never helps.

Shallow for this but people who dress without any style or purpose. If someone does, it's not an automatic like, but I can't stand it when it looks like people have just walked out the door without thinking about how they present themselves.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Complete lack of self-confidence never helps.

Shallow for this but people who dress without any style or purpose. If someone does, it's not an automatic like, but I can't stand it when it looks like people have just walked out the door without thinking about how they present themselves.

Overconfidence. I have great admiration for people that speak only when they need to.

People that try too hard when dressing. Wearing a pair of rolled up skinny jeans, some vans and a shirt like the rest of Melbourne does not really impress me in the slightest.

Overconfidence. I have great admiration for people that speak only when they need to.

People that try too hard when dressing. Wearing a pair of rolled up skinny jeans, some vans and a shirt like the rest of Melbourne does not really impress me in the slightest.
Speaking up when one needs to ≠ lack of self-confidence.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Speaking up when one needs to ≠ lack of self-confidence.

I think a lot of people without self-confidence are actually terrific people once you probe them a bit and get to know them. They are too easily dismissed. They are also usually great listeners, and I think listening is a much more difficult skill to master than talking.

I think a lot of people without self-confidence are actually terrific people once you probe them a bit and get to know them. They are too easily dismissed. They are also usually great listeners, and I think listening is a much more difficult skill to master than talking.
I'm not doubting that they're terrific people mate, I just find it a turn off. The title is giveaways that you won't like someone, so I guess this may not be the right place for it.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not liking someone for having low self-confidence is a bit bizarre. It's usually something totally out of their control, usually through genuine circumstances where you should be empathetic. I don't know anyone who's had everything go right voluntarily decide they want to hunch their back, mumble, not talk to girls, and be scared of conversation. Whether it's being overweight as a kid or having parents who never said you were any good, there's always a valid reason why someone doesn't feel good in who they are.

Contrastingly, people who leeched off this were some of the worst campaigners I ever knew. They'd pick on them as easy targets. Almost always, they turned out to be the most bland, dumb, untalented people I knew and know. And quite often used this lack of any specialty to push themselves over people who had s**t self-confidence.

In some ways, having no self-confidence is a pretty debilitating thing. Its effects on your social life, meeting girls, doing well at uni or a job, it's genuinely massive. It can creep into everything and stunt you. It's a bit like saying you won't like someone who has depression because they're never up for much.

Agree on the clothes though. I personally find it most bizarre at uni. Sure, if you're studying sports science you're allowed to dress like a phys ed teacher in the uncool New Balances and shorts in August. But when you're doing something seemingly 'artistic' (their words, not mine...) then shouldn't curating your outfit be a part of that? There's nothing vain or dumb about that at all, either. I just find it a bit weird.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
For me, a bloke who doesn't like a single sport (Motorsports don't care and probably make me even less interested. Shocking s**t). Or maybe even people who only like a sport like tennis, which is great fun and entertaining to watch when it's a cracker, and I like the game, but only liking tennis and not another team sport... odd. All the biggest things in life can be attributed to sport; emotions, relationships, finding out what kind of person you are... you learn all of that as a kid in Auskick after having to talk to kids you've never met before, at U14s when you're getting flogged every weekend... It teaches you things. Important things.

And I always wonder what they did on Saturdays as kids. I felt extremely guilty not playing footy in year 12 and staying at home on a sunny or piss-cold Saturday. I just felt like a slob. How could your dad not kick you up the arse and tell you to go outside and get some exercise? Even if you're s**t, it's still a good thing to do.

Furthermore, young men who can't drop punt.

This is a serious epidemic. They'll know their footy, they'll be genuine fans and good dudes. You have a kick and you see it: they're not using the classic, up-and-down Tony Lockett hold. "Maybe they're like Jack Gunston?" you hope. Nup. They don't get a nice spin, you're chasing after every ball, and "sorry" becomes as heard as the sound of shoe-on-leather. They had a dad. Where was he?! How can you literally not drop punt?! I reckon it'd be a very cool thing to be a dad and take your boy for a kick whenever you could... I still remember all the parks and drives me and my dad went to and took, him making sure I kicked as much on my left as my right, and they were good times. You can have a chat, have a laugh, talk s**t, and learn to kick the footy.

I seriously think only half of the population of 15-30 year olds who enjoy football actually have the simple skill of a simple drop punt.

Don't get me started on the unco handball too. I'm not Sam Mitchell, not even Luke Hodge is Sam Mitchell, but come on. Embarrassing for all concerned.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know I'm not going to get along with someone when they have a shitload of obscure condiments and spices and expensive organic seeds and NO ACTUAL FOOD IN THE HOUSE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I'm not going to get along with someone when they have a shitload of obscure condiments and spices and expensive organic seeds and NO ACTUAL FOOD IN THE HOUSE.
They're called anorexics. A mate of mine had a girl friend who was anorexic and she was totally obsessed by everything food apart from eating it. It's their way of justifying their condition.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
They're called anorexics. A mate of mine had a girl friend who was anorexic and she was totally obsessed by everything food apart from eating it. It's their way of justifying their condition.

That's what I was thinking to be honest. Then they get all judgey when I'm eating vegemite on weetbix for lunch.

The Coup

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
He is Mr Activated Almonds. I.e. the flog who posted his daily diet in the paper.

Haha yeah I did a bit of a google and jogged my memory. There was a thread about him on here a while back I think. Or about activated almonds at least.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

Until I briefly dated someone who actually had celiac disease about four years ago, I'd genuinely never heard of "gluten intolerance". Similar to what that article says, suddenly though it seems like every second person has some sort of food allergy or special dietary requirement these days. Millions of people have been eating food that includes wheat for hundreds of years, but suddenly a disproportionately large number of them think they're allergic or it's bad for them. I'd like to see how many of them have actually had it pinpointed and determined by a doctor that they actually have an allergy to wheat.

Last edited:
Back