Food, Drink & Dining Out What are some of the strangest things you have eaten?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 11, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure if this one has been done before. What kind of strange/exotic/crazy things have you eaten?

In Japan I went to a restaurant and ordered some chicken dish that came out in all separate parts. firstly came out little slices of what I thought was sashimi with a little bowl of soy sauce. Turned out to be raw chicken. Tasted alright but after two pieces I freaked out and decided not to have anymore

second dish was chicken necks. Just tastes like bones. Don't know how anyone could enjoy them but at least they were cooked this time.

Then we had bbq chicken hearts which Ive had once before at brazilian bbq place. Pretty chewy getting through that cardiac muscle and the taste was very gamey but tolerable.

Luckily the last dish was just pieces of fried chicken which I later discovered is really popular over there.

The dumbest thing I have eaten was a glow stick. Was drunk and got dared to bit into it and suck out liquid. Don't ever do this!

Norway - whale - tasted like if you'd left a porterhouse steak to marinate in a mix of sewater and pigs blood for 24 hours - edible but nothing to make them extinct over.

Spain - deep fried cows ligament - had a tempura style batter and a sweet hoi-sin style dipping sauce - would smash repeatedly.

Have also had chicken feet before - agree with sentiment on neck - all bone - do not actually get which part of it you eat?

Stinky Tofu - The smell can get to you if you haven't smelt it before but you get used to it and the tofu doesn't taste how it smells.
Duck Blood - It looks like a maroon coloured piece of tofu but is really nice to eat.
Pig Blood Cake
Pig Intestine
Sea snail
Frogs Legs - Tastes like chicken

In Japan I went to a restaurant and ordered some chicken dish that came out in all separate parts. firstly came out little slices of what I thought was sashimi with a little bowl of soy sauce. Turned out to be raw chicken. Tasted alright but after two pieces I freaked out and decided not to have anymore
I didn't think you could eat raw chicken. I thought it has to be cooked or else you will get sick.

Coffee-flavoured crickets at a Mexican joint in Mount Lawley... probs wouldn't again. Didn't taste like anything and kind of felt like I was eating the corn kernal shell part of popcorn?

Chicken flavoured Smiths chips. Never again

All that MSG will get to you and is likely more harmful than most of the stuff we'd put down here.

Pigs ears.........................Yuck
Boiled chicken feet..........Double Yuck. Like sucking warm hairy pus.
Birds Nest soup...............Not because it's bird spit but for the fact a client must have spent a fortune on it.

Bent to an off-beat Japanese Restaurant in Shenzen.
No English at all and just got the waiter to bring out anything.
I know that we ate Jellyfish but had little idea for what the rest of it was..........don't really want to know.

Birds Nest soup...............Not because it's bird spit but for the fact a client must have spent a fortune on it.
Forgot this one, Birds nest soup is probably the weirdest, You wouldnt believe how much it can be for such a nothing taste

Have also had chicken feet before - agree with sentiment on neck - all bone - do not actually get which part of it you eat?

I've tried chicken feet at Yum Cha and I'm not sure why anyone would eat them. It's basically just bone and gristle.

Also ate duck tongue there once. Made the chicken feet seem delicious and succulent in comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beijing: Starfish, silkworm, cicada, snake.

Nanjing: Chicken hearts, frogs legs, probably ate some of the tofus and the duck blood that Lenny Starkiller tried.

Bangkok: Scorpion, cicada, small frog

Tallinn: Elk soup and pie.

Cambodia: Spider, shots of some alcoholic drink with scorpions in it.

Ho Chi Minh City: a whole heap of exotic shellfish and snails in and woke up the next morning with the fever.

Last edited:
Stinky Tofu - The smell can get to you if you haven't smelt it before but you get used to it and the tofu doesn't taste how it smells.
Duck Blood - It looks like a maroon coloured piece of tofu but is really nice to eat.
Pig Blood Cake
Pig Intestine
Sea snail
Frogs Legs - Tastes like chicken

Stinky Tofu smells gross.

I'll give most things a go. Have had crickets, spiders and bee larvae in Cambodia.

Guinea pig and alpaca steaks in Peru.

But by far the weirdest is pig's fallopian tubes in Hong Kong.

Dugong, turtle and a dolphin up north with some family get together I had about 8 years ago. Wasn't fussed on turtle, dolphin just tasted like tuna and maybe a bit of pork mixed. But that dugong was pretty good. Really tender and fatty but after 30 minutes on the open flame most of the fat just burns off. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them and would gladly never eat them again. I much prefer just a regular steak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back