Strategy What are we going to do about centre half forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kersten 1.91 Hawkins 1.97 Menzel 1.88
Motlop 1.82 Vardy 1.98 Smedts/Murdoch 188.5

Puopulo 1.73 Roughead 1.93 Hale 2.01
Rioli 1.77 Gunston 1.93 Bruest 1.84

Reid 1.95 Tippett 2.03 McGlynn 1.74
Goodes 1.94 Franklin 1.96 Parker 1.83

Ballantyne 1.74 Mayne 1.88 Walters 1.77
Fyfe 1.90 Pavlich 1.92 Sylvia 1.86

I think bringing in another tall (whether it be Brown or Walker) and keeping Kersten will immediately help Kersten. Look back to the match against Gold Coast where Hawkins, Walker & Kersten (on debut) all played. Yes Walker didn't have a great game but he did help free up some space for Kersten & also make the opposition's 3rd defender not 2nd go to Kersten & voila Kersten 3 goals on debut.

I am no closer to an answer on who plays that Cameron Mooney role for Geelong against a good side.
It's effectively Hawkins. Yes, Mooney led up the ground more than Hawk, but Mooney was our focal point with Nathan, Hawk and Pods playing 2nd string.

Now Hawk is the focal point but we are struggling to find that effective 2nd tall.

In a sense, we are not missing Mooney, we are missing Nathan (or young Hawk or 'young' Pods).

No doubt he's improveing in every aspect of his game but I don't see him as the up there Cazaly type.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=up there cazaly youtube&form=MSNSBE&mkt=en-au&PC=MI9P&pc=ACJB&qs=AS&sk=AS1&pq=up there cazaly&sp=2&sc=8-15

Yes, but he doesn't have to be if he gets forward quickly from his position as wing/ruck, because he'll very often be unmarked, and he's also got a big natural reach advantage on most defenders. This will be enough to give him some marks without having to take pack marks or speccies. As it did with the couple on Friday.

I think we have to seriously look at the option of bringing in Simpson in tandem with McIntosh and use Blicavs as the CHF... If Brown or Walker or Kersten can't impact, with Hamish and Mark rotating through

I thought about this as well given Blicavs overhead marking has really developed this year. Only problem we have is we forgoe a running player to have both in the team. Mind you, we have played all 3 in the team at times this year. Does anyone know what the win/loss ratio is this year when Simpson-McIntosh-Blicavs have all played?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but he doesn't have to be if he gets forward quickly from his position as wing/ruck, because he'll very often be unmarked, and he's also got a big natural reach advantage on most defenders. This will be enough to give him some marks without having to take pack marks or speccies. As it did with the couple on Friday.

That's right - keep him on the wing and let him burn off his opponents and float down forward. If Friday's game is anything to go by, he might end up being more important than any of Kersten, Brown or Walker.

I think we have to seriously look at the option of bringing in Simpson in tandem with McIntosh and use Blicavs as the CHF... If Brown or Walker or Kersten can't impact, with Hamish and Mark rotating through

Simpson got injured 2 weeks ago in the VFL and didn't play last week, I'd say he's absolutely zero chance to be included against Hawthorn. Especially as McIntosh is playing well and Blicavs is supporting him well.

Yet again, why do people always want to change things that are working?

It's very simple, the 2nd key forward is going to be either the incumbent in Kersten, or one of Brown or Walker. That's all it will be, and for the balance of the team that's all it should be.

Simpson got injured 2 weeks ago in the VFL and didn't play last week, I'd say he's absolutely zero chance to be included against Hawthorn. Especially as McIntosh is playing well and Blicavs is supporting him well.

It's very simple, the 2nd key forward is going to be either the incumbent in Kersten, or one of Brown or Walker. That's all it will be, and for the balance of the team that's all it should be.

Got to agree Partridge.

Change will only come about now through injury, suspension, or a horrendous drop in form.

Got to agree Partridge.

Change will only come about now through injury, suspension, or a horrendous drop in form.
and probably not even a drop in form - Scott would let him play through that

Some of my forward line suggestions:

- persist with kersten (he is much better than walker and brown, don't mess with the lineup this close to finals) but play him differently - see below.

Is he? You could make a case after his first few games. But he's kicked 1 goal in 4 games since and is barely getting a kick. He's the only one of the three to ever get 8 successive weeks in the seniors, so it's not like he hasn't had a good shot at it. For pure goals per game this year Walker is the best (1.5), and for actually getting the ball Kersten is the worst (6.9 disposals per game, behind Walker on 8.0 and Brown on 10.3).

He might well be the best of the three. He might be by a long way. But right now I'd say it's not quite that clear.

May be working, still shouldn't stop looking for ways to improve things though surely.

I fear you may be correct, in which case the odds of us winning a fourth premiership lengthen considerably IMO, can't go with a bloke who finds the footy as little as Kersten does, and Brown and Walker are just not up to it as shown in the past.

I'd go with PremierCatAttacks suggestion, actually said so several pages back, of Simpson coming into the side and rotating McIntosh and Blicavs through CHF [mind you I may change my mind several times before September :(] not ideal but the best we can come up with seeing as how we really have no genuine contender for the job.

Last edited:
May be working, still shouldn't stop looking for ways to improve things though surely.

I fear you may be correct, in which case the odds of us winning a fourth premiership lengthen considerably IMO, can't go with a bloke who finds the footy less as little as Kersten does, and Brown and Walker are just not up to it as shown in the past.

I'd go with PremierCatAttacks suggestion, actually said so several pages back, of Simpson coming into the side and rotating McIntosh and Blicavs through CHF [mind you I may change my mind several times before September :(] not ideal but the best we can come up with seeing as how we really have no genuine contender for the job.[/QUOTE]

The problem here is that the perception of McIntosh being threatening at CHF doesn't translate into reality. He rarely causes a problem to the opposing defence, let alone impact the scoreboard.

Simpson's injury, and lack of game time, would see our run diminished considerably, something we can't afford.

Is it unfair of me to feel Brown would be a safer bet than Walker? I feel like both could potentially disappear in the games and not contribute or help greatly but that Walker would be more likely to possibly 'hurt' by making a mistake.

The problem here is that the perception of McIntosh being threatening at CHF doesn't translate into reality. He rarely causes a problem to the opposing defence, let alone impact the scoreboard.

Simpson's injury, and lack of game time, would see our run diminished considerably, something we can't afford.

Exactly. Apart from the fact that McIntosh is actually playing very well in the RUCK right now.

McIntosh: 7 goals in 17 games, average 0.4 per game.
Blicavs: 3 goals in 19 games, average 0.2 per game.
Kersten: 10 goals in 8 games, average 1.2 per game.
Brown: 3 goals in 3 games, average 1.0 per game.
Walker: 6 goals in 4 games, average 1.5 per game.

So amazingly enough, the guys who average the most goals are the three actual forwards, and not the two ruckmen. Incredible really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back