Strategy What are we going to do about centre half forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

(In last years preliminary final, Hawkins & Podsiadly were both held to 1 goal combined while Vardy & Blicavs were clearly out of their depth against Hale & Bailey)
This. Although I can make excuses for Hawks and Pods - Hawkins was clearly shot, and Pods stayed on a year too long.

Playing one less tall forward and all three ruck options against Hawthorn makes total sense to me, because if McEvoy holds his own in the ruck, it releases Hale up forward and we don't want that.

if he doesnt have this skill set now, he never will.

im sure his played games in the vfl and even before that in junior games in the wet too ?

Big bodies help in the wet and to take chest marks. Much harder for the backman to get their fist on the ball if you can hold them out a bit with your body. I do not think this is Brown's go presently. He is more of a lead up mark above his head or will take a contested mark overhead - which are extremely difficult in the wet.

In the end it was pretty dry by the look of it !

Big bodies help in the wet and to take chest marks. Much harder for the backman to get their fist on the ball if you can hold them out a bit with your body. I do not think this is Brown's go presently. He is more of a lead up mark above his head or will take a contested mark overhead - which are extremely difficult in the wet.

In the end it was pretty dry by the look of it !
Bang on. Grabbing a slick ball down low and having the strength to mark overhead in the wet are completely different skills. Poor guy, looks like he could be drip-fed raw steak for a year and not put on weight.

What are *we* (the BigFooty community) going to do about CHF? Probably whinge all season, I'd say. :D

But seriously, looks like the same structure for at least the next few weeks to me. That is, no one player taking ownership of the role but at times we will have Hawkins, Brown, Bartel, McIntosh, Blicavs and maybe even Harry there. Walker, and you'd hope Kersten, will also get a chance at some point. Because we have no player who can actually play the role competently for a full game, we are left with no other choice but to pinch hit several different players.

Well, about 17 weeks after the initial question was asked, CE gets the meat tray :D

But we knew that 17 weeks ago!
Bulldogs apparently going flat out to secure a BIG name KF, as they think they have the nucleus and beginnings of a great future.
Which player? Jeremy Cameron?
Are they that easy to target?
That is our need too; perhaps we will really target our CHF this off season; or do we have him there in Vardy? Brown?? Kersten???

Bulldogs apparently going flat out to secure a BIG name KF, as they think they have the nucleus and beginnings of a great future.
Which player? Jeremy Cameron?
Are they that easy to target?
That is our need too; perhaps we will really target our CHF this off season; or do we have him there in Vardy? Brown?? Kersten???

Yet Sydney get 2 gun key forwards without giving up a single pick or player in 2 seasons. Seems fair.

Yet Sydney get 2 gun key forwards without giving up a single pick or player in 2 seasons. Seems fair.
Pls don't get me started, #2 pet hate is Swans and their favoured treatment.

(#1 is the free kicks to those who duck their heads into "innocent bystanders")

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes that is why I am not sold on him but rate him a lot higher than Walker, Brown but not Kersto.

He looked promising but never took hold of a game that I recall, and given his injuries I've tempered my expectations of him considerably since then.

As we've seen, others have struggled to rebound from injury, and his hip / knee issues may prove to be more difficult than others to recover from.

He looked promising but never took hold of a game that I recall, and given his injuries I've tempered my expectations of him considerably since then.

As we've seen, others have struggled to rebound from injury, and his hip / knee issues may prove to be more difficult than others to recover from.
Poor bloke I just hope he doesn't end up like Gumbleton who's had more injuries than birthdays. I don't really expect much from him but starting next year I think we should go for 3 talls in the FWD line Vardy/Hawk/Kersto

Poor bloke I just hope he doesn't end up like Gumbleton who's had more injuries than birthdays. I don't really expect much from him but starting next year I think we should go for 3 talls in the FWD line Vardy/Hawk/Kersto

It's worth a try, but I wonder how mobile such a set-up would be......

Vardy's copped a few injuries in a short time, and early on the prognosis was the hip problem could see his AFL career terminated. How he recovers, and whether he can impact AFL footy, remains to be seen.

Fingers crossed.

Vardy's copped a few injuries in a short time, and early on the prognosis was the hip problem could see his AFL career terminated. How he recovers, and whether he can impact AFL footy, remains to be seen.

Fingers crossed.
Same can be said for d Menz.
images.jpg

If Antony Morabito can [despite Menz having 1 more reco than him] I have all the faith in the world in Dan. Would be very good to have them both in the side next year but would they be automatic top 22's? or fringe players because you couldn't really expect much from Dan after what he's gone through so early on

The Menzel saga almost depresses me more than when we lost Gaz. So much potential. He could have been one of top 5 players in the comp given a few years without injury. His highlights reel is painful to watch.

If Antony Morabito can [despite Menz having 1 more reco than him] I have all the faith in the world in Dan. Would be very good to have them both in the side next year but would they be automatic top 22's? or fringe players because you couldn't really expect much from Dan after what he's gone through so early on

I think both can make a return to footy, but whether their bodies allow them to fulfill their prior potential is a huge unknown.

For that reason, I wouldn't think they'll be automatic 22 early on, but if they go on to prove that they can handle the rigours of footy in conjunction with some compelling form then they'll be in the 22 quick smart I'd reckon

The Menzel saga almost depresses me more than when we lost Gaz. So much potential. He could have been one of top 5 players in the comp given a few years without injury. His highlights reel is painful to watch.
Nothing is more painful for me than losing the game's best (ever?) player, but I know what you feel about Menzel. Just a waste of talent that Geelong, and the AFL, is deprived of seeing.

Fingers crossed.
Vardy looked way too built up and awkward this year; hoping he can refine himself again, and become a leaner, meaner more resilient KF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back