What are you currently listening to? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Very different from Golden Brown, which was very much an experiment for them (though it's one of my favourite songs)

Much more 'punk' vibe, or at least 'new wave'-ish, but with punk influences...unlike some punk though, very melodic...they used keyboards, for example.

Check out "Get a Grip on Yourself", "No More Heroes" and "peaches" on Youtube for starters...
Actually StevieDewar, Aural Sculpture is one of their best & possibly closest albums to the sound on Golden Brown.

Or, jump in the deep end & listen to The Gospel According to the Men In Black. It's my favourite album, but maybe not to everybody's taste. ;)

Eldorado, you've named some excellent first up songs there. I saw the Stranglers when they toured here in 1985 & their live version of Peaches was brilliant. Still one of my favourite concert memories.

Actually StevieDewar, Aural Sculpture is one of their best & possibly closest albums to the sound on Golden Brown.

Or, jump in the deep end & listen to The Gospel According to the Men In Black. It's my favourite album, but maybe not to everybody's taste. ;)

Eldorado, you've named some excellent first up songs there. I saw the Stranglers when they toured here in 1985 & their live version of Peaches was brilliant. Still one of my favourite concert memories.
I will check these out at some stage this week :thumbsu:.

Currently just have their Greatest Hits - dont normally get those but this gave me a wide range of their sounds

Hendrix tribute albums...

Currently Jeff Beck and Seal cranking through Manic Depression.

I'd give my left nut to play like Jeff Beck*

*Not strictly true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendrix tribute albums...

Currently Jeff Beck and Seal cranking through Manic Depression.

I'd give my left nut to play like Jeff Beck*

*Not strictly true
This is 'Stone Free', isn't it?

Some really great versions of Hendrix tunes - especially The Cure's version of Purple Haze & Nigel Kennedy's version of Fire.

Wilco rule, Stevie...

Absolutely wonderful.

Where are you at with them, which album?
On the advice of my mate I am starting with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Havent previously listened to any of their work.

What would you recommend next?

Yep, that's their all time classic, I guess. A masterpiece. The mix of alt-country, and low-fi avante-garde sounds is just about perfect.

If you like it, go after Summerteeth (previous album), A Ghost is Born (follow up) as the next ones to give a listen.

(Also check out the doco "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" which documents the whole weird time they were making YHF)

Wilco rule, Stevie...

Absolutely wonderful.

Where are you at with them, which album?

I do like Wilco. Like being trapped inside a sleepy bar under the influence of valium and beer.

I do like Wilco. Like being trapped inside a sleepy bar under the influence of valium and beer.
Check out the Wild Beasts if you havent previously

Remove this Banner Ad

Back