What are you currently listening to? Part 2

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
The passing away of BB King teased me into looking at Rolling Stone's top 100 songs of all time. After picking myself up from falling out of the chair from laughing at the list I again fell out of the chair laughing at the condition of the labels of many of the records they showed. Many looked as though they were from bargain bin sales at garage sale.

For such a so called authority they could have approached collectors to obtain mint copies. Any list of top 100 songs is purely personal and it really depends on what one has heard. But, these type of lists are usually only those that had mainstream exposure.

However that is their list and they are entitled to it but to show those 45s in such crappy condition is unpardonable. Just confirms why I gave up reading that mag decades ago. It is not as if they are rare. They are even more common than Hawthorn Premierships.

Gonna' play something that will never make a top 100 list because only Rockabilly collectors know of it.

She loves me yea yea - I wanna' hold you hand. Give me a break

BullyWee

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Clyde
The passing away of BB King teased me into looking at Rolling Stone's top 100 songs of all time. After picking myself up from falling out of the chair from laughing at the list I again fell out of the chair laughing at the condition of the labels of many of the records they showed. Many looked as though they were from bargain bin sales at garage sale.

For such a so called authority they could have approached collectors to obtain mint copies. Any list of top 100 songs is purely personal and it really depends on what one has heard. But, these type of lists are usually only those that had mainstream exposure.

However that is their list and they are entitled to it but to show those 45s in such crappy condition is unpardonable. Just confirms why I gave up reading that mag decades ago. It is not as if they are rare. They are even more common than Hawthorn Premierships.

Gonna' play something that will never make a top 100 list because only Rockabilly collectors know of it.

She loves me yea yea - I wanna' hold you hand. Give me a break

Well done Lord Mud! I like it a lot.

Lord Mud of Glenferrie

Club Legend
Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Dec 13, 2008
Tied to an oxygen tube
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Canetoads Bulls Gunners Packers
Well done Lord Mud! I like it a lot.

There were literally thousands of records from the fifties like this that never received air play. Only a few were sold and subsequently became very collectible. During the late seventies when Rockabilly was the most sought after genre the original of this record would change hands for over $500. I can't tell by the label alone if it is an original or a repro.

If you liked this check out a few on the side panel. Start with the Lonesome Drifter and then take your pick. Not all are good but most are. Check out Rose Maddox Hey Little dreamboat. Oh, there are just so many.

Yes I collect records.
50s Rockabilly
50s Rock and Roll
Late forties and early fifties black R & B
Surf
Girl Groups
Some blues but have to pick the eyes out of it. Same for country.
I enjoy Prog Rock, Blues Rock, some Psychedelia, Seattle grunge, early Thrash and Classical music.

And Jerry Lee Lewis.

Whilst I am about it, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones did not own the British Beat genre. Check out the Sorrows. The English group that is eg Take A Heart.

BullyWee

Cancelled
Jul 1, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Clyde
There were literally thousands of records from the fifties like this that never received air play. Only a few were sold and subsequently became very collectible. During the late seventies when Rockabilly was the most sought after genre the original of this record would change hands for over $500. I can't tell by the label alone if it is an original or a repro.

If you liked this check out a few on the side panel. Start with the Lonesome Drifter and then take your pick. Not all are good but most are. Check out Rose Maddox Hey Little dreamboat. Oh, there are just so many.

Yes I collect records.
50s Rockabilly
50s Rock and Roll
Late forties and early fifties black R & B
Surf
Girl Groups
Some blues but have to pick the eyes out of it. Same for country.
I enjoy Prog Rock, Blues Rock, some Psychedelia, Seattle grunge, early Thrash and Classical music.

And Jerry Lee Lewis.

Whilst I am about it, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones did not own the British Beat genre. Check out the Sorrows. The English group that is eg Take A Heart.
Thanks, I'll follow this up.

Well, it's the off season, the cricket has been barely watchable, so it's time to dig into my back catalogue & play stuff I haven't bothered with for a while.

And suddenly you wonder why you've left listening to these albums for so long.

Today it's been Zappa's "Apostrophe", The Clash's "Give 'em Enough Rope" & Alice in Chains "Jar of Flies".

All good.

Dave Id

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
Some Australian Mountain Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao FC
Taboo by Arthur Lyman 1958.Jazz.Sorta.

Into big mobs of music,coming from that crossover into Rock and Roll era.

Love rockabilly.

MPD Ltd used to play Manresa Hall Saturday nights before they made the big time.
Pete Smith often compered.
Danny married one of the rellies.....on the Colliwobble/Rose side of the tree.Shh!

"Freak Out" is one of my favourite albums

TyHawk

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2013
Jupiter
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City
Massive attack Mezzanine
Alice In Chains Dirt
Faith No More Angel Dust
Deftones Around The Fur

Very 90's and sometimes that's how it's gotta be! Not much sunshine in that music though.

Massive attack Mezzanine
Alice In Chains Dirt
Faith No More Angel Dust
Deftones Around The Fur

Very 90's and sometimes that's how it's gotta be! Not much sunshine in that music though.
Dirt is a very fine album.

Massive attack Mezzanine
Alice In Chains Dirt
Faith No More Angel Dust
Deftones Around The Fur

Just found my copy of Mezzanine which I thought I had lost years ago. Yep, another fine album.

In about 10 minutes my ears will fill to the sound of the Cure in concert.

And I can't ****ing wait.
3 hour show last night apparently. One of my mates went

3 hour show last night apparently. One of my mates went
Yep, they did just over 3 hours last night.

Consummate professionals. Robert Smith has dumped a bit of weight and looks better for it. Mind you, playing for 3 hours every night should keep you fit!

Back