Sports What are your favourite and least favourite sports

Remove this Banner Ad

The pro mixed netball argument "oh yeah but you get to hang around hot chicks" is well, lame - you can do the same thing hanging around a beautician or hairdressers...

When you see a girl play cricket what do you think? Vice versa applies for netball. Its a general consensus.

Each to their own I guess....Id rather play cricket TBH and hang around chics in pubs

Last edited:
The pro mixed netball argument "oh yeah but you get to hang around hot chicks" is well, lame - you can do the same thing hanging around a beautician or hairdressers...

When you see a girl play cricket what do you think? Vice versa applies for netball.

Each to their own I guess....Id rather play footy TBH

I'm actually a big fan of women's cricket. Is a different game to the men's game but still enjoyable to watch. Oh and Elyse Perry.

I currently play footy every Saturday. But I'd love to give netball a go. You're sounding sexist tbh.

When you see a girl play cricket what do you think? Vice versa applies for netball.
... good on them?

So now the list of things that apparently makes me less of a man includes playing netball, and associating with beauticians and hairdressers. Any more professions or activities I should avoid to make sure no one thinks I'm gay? Having gay friends maybe? Cooking my own dinner instead of expecting my wife to do it?

Serious question, were you born in the 1950's?

... good on them?

So now the list of things that apparently makes me less of a man includes playing netball, and associating with beauticians and hairdressers. Any more professions or activities I should avoid to make sure no one thinks I'm gay? Having gay friends maybe? Cooking my own dinner instead of expecting my wife to do it?

Serious question, were you born in the 1950's?

Easy tiger no one is saying your gay.....if you are then good for you, I have nothing against it.

But in all seriousness, I'm just pulling your leg mate :)....I just don't get why anyone would want to play netball. Screaming bishes, whistle happy refs, no biff - just not my cup of tea

If people like to play then fair enough :)

Favourite:

1. Cricket
2. AFL
3. Union
4. F1
5. Soccer

Don't mind League and baseball isn't shocking. Soccer only makes the 5 because of how much I get into the internationals (and the World Cup), never been super entertained by the EPL though. Nothing can beat the first day of Test cricket of the summer.

1. Golf
2. Tennis
3. Basketball

I love sports that I can get around, can't do a thing with Golf. Just never cared for the other two.

Cricket.

The national team is full of entitled arseholes who have no semblance of sportsmanship or placidness. They are entirely ego fuelled and constantly in-fight, and brown-nosing arseholes like Langer end up heroes while someone like Shane Warne who seems misdirected but an okay guy are ridiculed. It's great fun to support England and apparently be labelled worse than Hitler.

Played by middle class, privately educated arseholes too. Probably the shittest sport to ever exist aside from rugby.

Cricket.

The national team is full of entitled arseholes who have no semblance of sportsmanship or placidness. They are entirely ego fuelled and constantly in-fight, and brown-nosing arseholes like Langer end up heroes while someone like Shane Warne who seems misdirected but an okay guy are ridiculed. It's great fun to support England and apparently be labelled worse than Hitler.

Played by middle class, privately educated arseholes too. Probably the shittest sport to ever exist aside from rugby.

Joe Root

Fave:
1. AFL
2. Cricket (preferably test)
3. Horse racing/greyhounds
4. Tennis
5. Soccer

Least fave:
1. Any kind of moror racing
2. Hockey

most of the Olympic sports are boring

Cricket.

Entitled arseholes, no semblance of placidness, ego fuelled - of course you never see this amongst any other sport...or amongst hipsters

one sport which hasn't been mentioned that i would encourage people to watch when they can is hurling. epic sport. i wish it was big in australia. i'd love to play it.

it's pretty much like aussie rules but with cricket bats. what's not to like about that.

this is last years all ireland hurling final

Only played mixed netball once for school sport, ended up spraining my ankle standing on some girl's foot and had to retire hurt.

Injured playing netball FFS, doesn't get much more embarrassing than that.

Netball has one of the highest injury rates of any sport - especially joint injuries. Knees, ankles, etc. I busted up my ankle pretty bad playing netball once and have sprained it several times.

Hell of a fun game, though the umpiring can be frustrating. Being a tall man playing defence pretty much guarantees that you'll get called even looking at the ball but it's still lots of fun.

My favourite sport to play is definitely racquetball - it astounds me that so few people play it because it's seriously easy to pick up, there are weekly social comps in any remotely sizable city and it's exceptionally good aerobic exercise. It's also nowhere near as frustrating as squash. No issues with weather because it's an indoor sport and basic equipment is very cheap.

In terms of watching, nothing beats AFL, but cricket is very good. Don't mind watching squash/netball either but I think that's more to do with playing it myself.

Cricket.

wat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie Rules and Gridiron, that's about it.

I used to play Basketball and watch it (NBA and NBL) in the 90s during the Michael Jordan era.
These days, I might have a passing interest in the NBA Finals.
NBL? Is that joke of a league even still around?

Horse Racing is not a sport if the horses can't be interviewed. Good for a day of punting I suppose.

Last edited:
one sport which hasn't been mentioned that i would encourage people to watch when they can is hurling. epic sport. i wish it was big in australia. i'd love to play it.

it's pretty much like aussie rules but with cricket bats. what's not to like about that.

this is last years all ireland hurling final

I see the similarities with Aussie Rules, but doesn't seem as chaotic/unpredictable with the ball and tackles.

Least fave:
1. Any kind of moror racing
2. Hockey

I agree on Motor "Sports"... more of a display of showing expert utilization of technology, rather than a sport.

Field Hockey I agree 100%. Hurling looks more interesting.
Ice Hockey... I can see the appeal of it with all the speed and hard hits involved, but way too chaotic for me. I can't even see the puck 90% of the time.

Netball has one of the highest injury rates of any sport - especially joint injuries. Knees, ankles, etc. I busted up my ankle pretty bad playing netball once and have sprained it several times.

Hell of a fun game, though the umpiring can be frustrating. Being a tall man playing defence pretty much guarantees that you'll get called even looking at the ball but it's still lots of fun.

My favourite sport to play is definitely racquetball - it astounds me that so few people play it because it's seriously easy to pick up, there are weekly social comps in any remotely sizable city and it's exceptionally good aerobic exercise. It's also nowhere near as frustrating as squash. No issues with weather because it's an indoor sport and basic equipment is very cheap.

In terms of watching, nothing beats AFL, but cricket is very good. Don't mind watching squash/netball either but I think that's more to do with playing it myself.

It's not even the spraining of knees and ankles in netball. It's the wear and tear. Sprinting and having to stop in 2 steps is not good for the cartilage in your knees that's for sure. But, you get that through many, many sports with jumping and accelerating/decelerating.
Great to play, though, Netball. It's similar to basketball for me. Can't watch netball or basketball, bar the NBA finals, occasionally, but I love playing both.

A great sport to play, if there is a local league near you is Dodgeball. So much fun.

Cricket.

That's why I support the Black Caps instead as they are better blokes with less arrogance and arseholeness than the Australian team, probably helps that they don't win as much and are well behind the All Blacks as the no.1 national sports team.

Also my parents are Kiwis so I grew up supporting the Black Caps. Back when they were playing an ODI here in Perth back in the 1980s I couldn't go to the game as I was playing junior cricket which I was devastated about. My mum's friend was going to the game and knew someone in the NZ team, she went into their dressing room after the game and told them about me and how devo'd I was about not being able to go to the game. Jeremy Coney the NZ captain wrote a message to me on a couple of their player members passes "Sorry you couldn't be at the game today, you were there in spirit, thanks for your support" signed by him and the whole team, including the likes of Richard Hadlee, Martin Crowe, Lance Cairns, John Wright, Ian Smith, Martin Sneddon and Ewen Chatfield.

To say I was tickled pink to get them would be an understatement, they were my most prized possessions as a kid and after that I was a BlackCapsSupporter4Lyfe.

Yeah netball can be quite a physical sport, the girls we were playing with all played netball and took it pretty seriously with plenty of physical contact. There is a lot of stopping and starting too which can be tough on your joints, I'd played a lot of basketball so had a hard time adjusting to stopping when you caught the ball rather than running and dribbling.

Squash and racquetball are good sports to play too and a great fitness workout. My best mate at school and next door neighbour was a WA junior squash champion, his mum was a big squash nut and ran a squash court place so she'd often take me and my mate down there on school holidays where we could play squash on any of the free courts. Needless to say I didn't win too many matches against my mate, he would smash me if he was playing seriously.

Last edited:
Cricket.

So everyone that plays is a middle class, privately educated a-hole? What's with you and sweeping generalisations?

Cricket.

Perhaps Redders is more your sort of cricketer SA?
http://thewastedafternoons.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/was-ian-redpath-australian-crickets.html
Was Ian Redpath Australian Cricket's first Hipster?

Ian Ritchie Redpath played 66 Test matches for Australia and made 4737 runs at an average of 43.45, making him one of Australia's most accomplished openers. Importantly, he also provides me with another great example whenever I'm listing cricketers with higher test averages than Mark Waugh to bored onlookers.
What is underrated about Redders is that he was (in my mind) Australian Cricket's first hipster and if there anything hipsters love, it's being the first to do something. After looking through this photo essay, I am sure you will agree with me that Redpath was cooler than Tyler the Creator riding a fixed gear bike through an organic fruit market.
Redders had cool facial hair

Whilst it was not yet de rigueur to go the full hipster 'Ned Kelly' beard in the late 70's, Redders was an effortless exponent of facial hair, sporting sideburns that the members of Jet probably had wet dreams about. Sometimes I look at photos of Redders and mistakenly think it's George Harrison. Wrong; Redders was even cooler than the coolest Beatle, and he never even had to pick up a guitar or listen to what Paul McCartney had to say.
Redders had a sideline job as an Antique Dealer

If we know anything about hipsters it's that they cannot settle for one job title. Back in the day, hipsters used to be graphic designers or musicians, but now they favour "slashie" titles like "artist/creative director/blogger." Redders was a trendsetter in this regard, and also gets extra points for his 'slashie' addition being a profession totally at odds with what all his cricketing teammates did. Most ran indoor cricket centres, pretended to sell insurance or did 'promo' work. In other words, they were totes mainstream. Not Redders, he was knee-deep in antique lithographs and historical artifacts. He actually turned down a spot on the 1975 Ashes tour because he was too busy with his antiques. And people bagged Adam Voges for staying home to get married...
Literally every time I walk into an antique centre or one of those country junk shops these days, I'm tripping over hipsters fawning over some industrial light fitting that they want to hang in their vegan soul food cafe. Well sucked in guys, Redders was into antiques before you were born. Go home, you lose.
Redders gave Slam Poetry readings before we even knew what that was

Who am I kidding? I still don't even know what Slam Poetry is. I bet that Redders does though because he probably invented it.
Redders sold out way before it was cool to sell out

The advent of World Series Cricket brought Redders a very deserved pay-day at the end of his career. He actually came out of retirement to play but was no less a pariah to the cricket establishment than any other 'rebel' who joined Packer's "circus". His club side South Melbourne even blacklisted him, confirming my suspicions that nothing good ever happens in that suburb.
This photo shows Redders' foot having just collapsed under the weight of his 'cool'. Actually that's not true, he shredded his Achilles in the first year of WSC whilst bowling to Clive Lloyd. If you claim to have had a cooler injury than that I will call you a liar straight to your face. I'd also like to point out he is wearing Adidas 3-stripe gear about 10 years before Run DMC supposedly made it cool. Yep, Redders was actually hipper to the trends than the world of hip hop.
Perhaps the coolest thing about his WSC years is that even whilst being a 'sell-out' and a rebel, Redders played in the WSC Country Cup games. Supertest's were WAY TOO MAINSTREAM for Redders, you see.
Redders was a hit with the ladies

The central premise of hipsterdom, as far as I can tell, is to present yourself as the coolest specimen alive and thus the most desirable person on the planet. The thing is, Redders didn't even need to resort to such contrivance; women just naturally flocked to be near him and ask him for his autograph. They were only human. Who could blame them?
Redders rode vintage track bikes before they were even vintage

Even if you were skeptical up until this point, you now have to admit that Redders was the head technician in the outbreak of hipsterdom. Every time you see a fashion blogger wheeling along on their fixie with a soy latte in one hand, yell out at them and let them know that Redders was all over that trend 35 years ago. And he didn't even wear a helmet. Helmets are for laggards, not early adopters.

Squash and racquetball are good sports to play too and a great fitness workout. My best mate at school and next door neighbour was a WA junior squash champion, his mum was a big squash nut and ran a squash court place so she'd often take me and my mate down there on school holidays where we could play squash on any of the free courts. Needless to say I didn't win too many matches against my mate, he would smash me if he was playing seriously.

Yeah, that is one problem with squash/racquetball. If someone's a bit better than you, you'll struggle to even win a point. And since there aren't that many people playing, you can end up in a situation where nobody is at your level (both above and below) and you struggle to get a good match.

When you do end up on a similar level to others though, there's nothing more enjoyable than a good hit of racquetball. Really love it.

A great sport to play, if there is a local league near you is Dodgeball. So much fun.

Once when I was living in America I signed up for dodgeball which is played in a trampoline arena. Super fun, except that I was completely awful at it :p

FAVORITES: Football Codes (including Gaelic and American, but only Test Match Rugby Union), Test Cricket, Boxing/MMA (although I don't follow it closely, just want to watch a decent stink)

LOVED TO BE INVOLVED IN (but not necessarily watch):
Archery, Darts, Long Distance Running (10km+)

LEAST FAVORITES: Netball, 20 Over Cricket (Corrupt), Women's Tennis (and the grunting is only a small part of it), Lawn Bowls, Olympic Distance Triathlon (Predictable to a tee, half decent swimmer leads a pack before being caught on the bike by a pack of 20 riders. 2-3 strong runners then run away from the field)

But I will watch just about anything.

Favourites

Overall:
1. Footy
2. Cricket
3. American Football/ Basketball (can't split)

Watch:
1. Footy
2. American Football
3. Basketball
4. Cricket (an exciting test can easily beat the two above)

Play:
1. Footy
2. Basketball
3. Cricket (a casual backyard/ beach or when played back in school at lunch time can beat out the two above)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back