What changes (if any) would you make to our Team of the Century?

Remove this Banner Ad

poulsman

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
the oficial team
B: Harold Rumney - Jack Regan - Syd Coventry
HB: Billy Picken - Albert Collier - Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett - Bob Rose - Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill - Murray Weideman - Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne - Gordon Coventry - Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson - Des Tuddenham - Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw - Wayne Richardson - Marcus Whelan - Gavin Brown

my 'modernised' changes

Didak for Merrett
kyne for rocca?? perhaps not. phonsey was a st kevins boy after all!
give thomas and pendles 5 years.

any thoughts?

2 best and fairests and potentially 2 norm smith medals (was named our best player in 2 grand final wins), a couple of brownlow top 10 finishes and an AA guernsey has Didak covered.

No current player has done anywhere near enough to push into our team of the century.

And Thomas and Pendles are going to need a bit more than 5 years.

it was either merrett or shaw...
didak's skill level far exceeds shaw's, but obviously that's not why the man was picked.
still , i think dids would have to get in there somewhere. he's possibly the best and smartest kick to have ever played the game.

make pendles and thomas 10 years, not 5.
any thoughts on kyne?

the oficial team
B: Harold Rumney - Jack Regan - Syd Coventry
HB: Billy Picken - Albert Collier - Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett - Bob Rose - Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill - Murray Weideman - Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne - Gordon Coventry - Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson - Des Tuddenham - Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw - Wayne Richardson - Marcus Whelan - Gavin Brown

my 'modernised' changes

Didak for Merrett
kyne for rocca?? perhaps not. phonsey was a st kevins boy after all!
give thomas and pendles 5 years.

any thoughts?

You have got to be joking right?? i think you are overating didak and underating some of the past legends of our club.. For me Didak is nowhere near being in the team of the century.. Leave it as it is

My centreline would be-
Millane Buckley Brown

and Followers-
Thompson Greening Rose

Those are lines to cream over but how to you squeeze out a Harry Collier?

Six time premiership player, twice premiership captain, two Copelands, one Brownlow.

If he doesn't make it, who does? lol

An impossible task this is really, how do you fit them all in?

Those are lines to cream over but how to you squeeze out a Harry Collier?

Six time premiership player, twice premiership captain, two Copelands, one Brownlow.

If he doesn't make it, who does? lol

An impossible task this is really, how do you fit them all in?

Could not possibly squeeze Harry out. No way. When I used to go to the footy, I used to run into Harry in the social club and you could not meet a nicer bloke. His passion for footy and the black and white never wained.
Harry for captain for mine!!!!!! Sorry Thurold!

Bit of an epic BUMP here, but thought this was an interesting thread. Do not remember starting it, and am slightly embarrassed by my Didak suggestion...

But the interesting one is Pendles. It's been close to five years now. Is he doing enough to potentially be considered in another 5? I'm inclined to say yes. He's definitely becoming a champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way cloke is going he could take Murray's spot in a few years if not now.

I don't think I'd make any changes right now but by the time Pendlebury retires he will be ahead of Wayne Richardson IMO.

Until a CHF wins us a flag we have no right to win then I'd be hard pressed to replace Murray Weiderman. Not sure exactly how good he was as a pure footballer but he won us the 1958 flag with his tactics when he decided he'd take it upon himself to upset a few an enlisted the aid of Hooker Harrison to bowl a few over and told the rest of team to not worry about what they did but just play football. Melbourne were unbeatable going into the game.

Didak wouldn't get into our 5th team of the century. Good player but the current team alone will have 4+ players retire ahead of him (Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Cloke, Shaw....).

As for some if the names there - we did win 4 flags in a row at one point so it stands to reason that some if those players were among our best ever. Hard to see many current players getting near that.

The only player I feel could force inclusion is

Pendelbury

Serious consideration to J Clement - 2nd best player I've seen behind Buckley since the early eighties. Seriously under rated. Felt like he never made the wrong decision.

Who to take out? Very difficult but I think Pendlebury will be ahead of G Brown by end of his career. Clement and Brown are on about equal level.

Pendelbury

Serious consideration to J Clement - 2nd best player I've seen behind Buckley since the early eighties. Seriously under rated. Felt like he never made the wrong decision.

Who to take out? Very difficult but I think Pendlebury will be ahead of G Brown by end of his career. Clement and Brown are on about equal level.

I feel the exact same way, Jimmy Clement was an absolute superstar. And in all seriousness a should be considered a Collingwood Legend.

My 2nd pick behind bucks aswell!

Pendlebury and Swan will both be in the next team of the century which none of us will be around to see. The glaring omission from the previous team is McKenna who has to be at least on the bench. None of the players mentioned are worthy of inclusion.

Pendelbury

Huge call.

Personally I would have Wright and Mcguane ahead of him. **** i would even have Presti ahead of him just

Huge call.

Personally I would have Wright and Mcguane ahead of him. **** i would even have Presti ahead of him just

Mcguane was right up there just a fraction behind players like Millane & Brown

G Wright was a star both fwd and back but not quite in the above company for mine.

Presti was one of the best defenders since I've been following the Woods (1981), but Clement had him covered in my opinion. Better mark, better kick and more attacking while still being able to close down the best opposition defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back