What could we expect from a Turnbull government?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tax on baby boomers generation super .These guys had a dream run , post-war ,plenty of work at large companies with generous super schemes .In just 30-40 years the rules have changed dramatically and there is nowhere near the amount of secure employment around for the current generation ,and these guys all they do is push up housing affordability in their retirement with the numerous middle range properties they have been able to accumulate , time they payed up afterall , it was their parents who fought the wars not them ,society owes them nothing and the wealth that some of these people have been able to accumulate simply by being born at the right time in history is unreasonable and doesn't auger well for an ongoing prosperous Australian society for generations to come .

So if a baby boomer retires today with a house worth $600k, a car $40k, a carvan $40k and $200k in super, how much would you like to tax this bludger?
Not saying theyre bludgers just that they have had a dream run in their working life moreso than any other generation that has come after and they have been given opportunities that no young person today could ever dream of . 'They should be prevented from pumping up the housing prices as they do in their retirement somehow .

So how much would you tax this pensioner?

EDIT: I'm A baby boomer, still working and 90% of my wealth has been achieved in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
Kevin Rudd lite
Then oblivion for the LNP
This might be a fair point were the ALP being lead by a likable visionary rather than a wet lettuce leaf. Turnbull has a golden chance to win another turn, because Bill isn't going to stop him.

So how much would you tax this pensioner?

EDIT: I'm A baby boomer, still working and 90% of my wealth has been achieved in the last 10 years.
Due to your house price going up?

Everyone understands the difference in house pricing, but 90% in the last 10 years sounds improbable given the huge investment gains of the 90s-00s were cut back severely in the GFC.

Anyway, I think there is some misunderstanding on the Super concessions. It is on the tax applied to income that is transferred into Super. i.e. You can be very wealthy and yet have hundreds of thousands taxed at only 15c per $1 by putting that money into Super. This is what people want changed, as it unfairly helps the rich (who else can afford to sacrifice that much of their salary?) and is costing the budget big-time.

Due to your house price going up?

Everyone understands the difference in house pricing, but 90% in the last 10 years sounds improbable given the huge investment gains of the 90s-00s were cut back severely in the GFC.

Anyway, I think there is some misunderstanding on the Super concessions. It is on the tax applied to income that is transferred into Super. i.e. You can be very wealthy and yet have hundreds of thousands taxed at only 15c per $1 by putting that money into Super. This is what people want changed, as it unfairly helps the rich (who else can afford to sacrifice that much of their salary?) and is costing the budget big-time.

We all want pensioners to fund their own retirement but you don't want to encourage them to save for their retirement, go figure.

Warren Buffett made most of his money after he turned 50 http://www.businessinsider.com.au/m...s-wealth-was-earned-after-his-50th-birthday-1

We all want pensioners to fund their own retirement but you don't want to encourage them to save for their retirement, go figure.
Are you saying 'I don't want to encourage them'?

You aren't speaking to pre-schoolers here. We can tell the difference between 'encourage them to save' and 'cost the budget billions so rich people can avoid tax'.

Getting rid of a PM with such a grievous speech impediment would be bonus enough. At least Turnbull doesn't repeat every second sentence, because he needs time to think of what bullshit he's going to say next.

Got a lot of time for Turnbull...he is one of the very few we've ever seen that actually has the capacity to cross party lines, put one foot into both camps, and potentially become a relatively popular long term and half decent leader.

My only concern is that he entered politics under the assumption he would one day become our first president...something he can never state or admit but everyone knows. The bloke is no dill and will feel his own perceived destiny slowly evaporating as each year passes. It doesnt take much for a bloke with that much conviction to impart his own agenda upon a nation...and the nation doesnt need that debate again yet i reckon. Its something that is still 50/50 and therefore shouldnt even be up for debate again anytime soon. It will be obvious when we want to forge our own version of a republic.

Touch of irony that the republicans amongst us realise we have more chance of it happening under an LNP govt than ALP.

I could handle him as PM sure...i'm not into infantile political bias just for the hell of it.....i just think his true time would be better served maybe 5-10 yrs from now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What could we expect from a Turnbull government? The same underhanded and morally corrupt going's on to undermine him as we saw from the Labor rat Rudd perpetrate upon Gillard.

The same s**t that happened to Turnbull when he was leader of the opposition; in other words, that which was replicated by Rudd when he was turfed out by the Labor Party as leader with the only difference being that Rudd is referred to as "rat" in ALP jargon and Rudd types on the "liberal" side are called "freedom fighters".

I had a lot of time for Turnbull, before he showed his lack of political spine and a willingness to completely abandon his own principals for advancement within the party.

I had a lot of time for Turnbull, before he showed his lack of political spine and a willingness to completely abandon his own principals for advancement within the party.

Abandoning his own principles for advancement? I'd suggest that him sticking to his principles is one of the reasons he hasn't advanced so far.

Abandoning his own principles for advancement? I'd suggest that him sticking to his principles is one of the reasons he hasn't advanced so far.
Not so sure about that. Perhaps members are concerned that he may go back to them but haven't seen this so far.

The PM is terminal, I think that is something that most of this board could agree on. So we are left with the prospect of a Turnbull government, delighting some, horrifying others and it will begin again. But what can we expect from him as a PM? Many on the left are hoping for a swing into the centre, many on the right are hoping he can do enough to get them re-elected so then they can knife him again half way through the next term, I suspect. Turnbull is on the same power trip as Rudd for mine, the ego is driving him more than anything else, I'm not sold on him. But I'd be expecting to see a more liberal attitude on social issues, but would expect little movement on the austerity style economics, although the attempt to sell it will improve out of sight. I also think that everybody would welcome a less adversarial style of politics which I tend to think both Shorten and Turnbull are capable of.
From a purely political point of view this could be exactly what the Liberal Party needs. A Turnbull ascension would likely see the the final remnants of the Howard government flushed away, nearly twenty years after they were first elected and eight years since we decided that we didn't want them in the first place.
I think you are talking Turnbull down a bit comparing him to Rudd. p'raps Turnbull mkI GodwinGretch iteration turnbull. this one? on the spectrum, sure.

I dont think much changes. I have some grudging respect, tho vehemently disagree on political grounds, that Turnbull and Hockey tried to swing the pendulum IPA right, and correct the budget spending weaknesses. ofcourse, no concern on the revenue side of the ledger. but gees, did they * the political strategy

Bit rough blaming him for the Republic Meds. He was always a minimalist republican - it was the ******* direct election idiots in the
Convention - this gave Howard a divide and conquer opportunity that he played elegantly and masterfully. Howard must be embarassed how s**t his protege has been
Republic was the perfect branding mechanism to place him centre stage on the national landscape.

like Morrisson, taking the immigration portfolio, most consider it an anchor, and chiefs give it to potential enemies or rival, see:Bowen, too ambitious, too big for their boots.
for Scotty boy, its a good thing the electorate have a memory use-by-date of about 24 months, and he can achieve the transformation. The electorate now knows who he is, but they will soon forget why they know who he is, and he will be able to achieve cuddly scott mkII. I have put some money on Morrison on William Hill at 20s for 2025 pm. I will shout the beers folks, cos I will be in the money.

Nothing unusual for a politician and he's certainly not alone in that regard.:)

Republic was the perfect branding mechanism to place him centre stage on the national landscape.

like Morrisson, taking the immigration portfolio, most consider it an anchor, and chiefs give it to potential enemies or rival, see:Bowen, too ambitious, too big for their boots.
for Scotty boy, its a good thing the electorate have a memory use-by-date of about 24 months, and he can achieve the transformation. The electorate now knows who he is, but they will soon forget why they know who he is, and he will be able to achieve cuddly scott mkII. I have put some money on Morrison on William Hill at 20s for 2025 pm. I will shout the beers folks, cos I will be in the money.
Do you stand to collect if he attains that office before 2025? If not it might be a good idea to have a saver.;)

Is there any pie in which our beloved leader doesn't have a digit?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back