Autopsy What did you learn from the NAB Challenge

Remove this Banner Ad

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't get to do this often but I feel a bit smug about Towers as while everyone was bagging him last year I kept pointing out the progression he was making each game, how he was looking more and more composed each game and that given time he could become a good AFL player. I am very happy that I may have been proven right.

i wouldn't start celebrating just yet. while i agree he's shown inprovement, i still dont think hes a lock. i think he's depth atm.

he could still be found out on the big stage. time will tell.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
laidler can be exploited by.opposition coaches. if they have the right structure and match ups, we'll pay for having laidler in the team imo. and i actually like his game. still has time to add another string though.

but he's still in the maybe box for me

shaw is done, may start the year but definitely wont finish it

heeneys ready

id also give Mitchell a run, give him an inside position and let him hold onto it. he's waitwd in the wings long enough

I've always thought the concern was somewhat overblown.
Seriously, if people think Mitchell is in there for speed? His role aint got much to do with speed I would of thought. I think Mitchell is a really good in and under player who just can't hit a target by foot.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The only question mark over Towers was his intensity/courage, right? He's fast, skilled, has a massive leap, and performed very well in the VFL. Just a question of whether he can hack the contact and aggression that goes with the top level.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I learned our coaches are next to clueless. I whinged last year, you wait for when Tom Mitchell isnt even named to play Round 1! It is just mind boggling, I agree with the Afl 360 Round Table tonight on Fox and have argued it for a long time, Hawks are absolutely our bogey side, dont care who shouts me down, our statistics against them compared to anyone else dictates that fact. To think we have done bugger all to address that is terrible.

I loved Jetta getting in Camerons face, we were weak as in the GF, if Naismith can play 1s and bury some people and tom mitchell plays in with JPK weve got half a chance to beat the hawks. We need to throw our weight around. Browny said it right Freo and Hawks bashed us the last two finals series defeats.

I learned our coaches are next to clueless. I whinged last year, you wait for when Tom Mitchell isnt even named to play Round 1! It is just mind boggling, I agree with the Afl 360 Round Table tonight on Fox and have argued it for a long time, Hawks are absolutely our bogey side, dont care who shouts me down, our statistics against them compared to anyone else dictates that fact. To think we have done bugger all to address that is terrible.

I loved Jetta getting in Camerons face, we were weak as in the GF, if Naismith can play 1s and bury some people and tom mitchell plays in with JPK weve got half a chance to beat the hawks. We need to throw our weight around. Browny said it right Freo and Hawks bashed us the last two finals series defeats.

Agree its alarming how poor the stats turn against hawthorn they expose our defence big time by smashing us in the middle

Clearances and kicking efficiency need work big time

I have seen no sign in the nab we changed a thing, as it sits right now we need someone else to knock hawthorn off for us

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
No idea what we are doing with Mitchell. The guy is obviously an in and under midfielder but he spent so little time there in the preseason that I wonder if that is what the coaches have planned for him.

More likely they've used the NAB to get some run into his legs and maybe used a few positions to strengthen the weaker parts of his game. Game time in the NAB is more about conditioning of players than anything else.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I've learned the NAB challenge is a nice way to give us fans a bit of footy for having to put up with cricket for so long (yes, I hate any game that fat guys can play)

I don't get to do this often but I feel a bit smug about Towers as while everyone was bagging him last year I kept pointing out the progression he was making each game, how he was looking more and more composed each game and that given time he could become a good AFL player. I am very happy that I may have been proven right.

I also claim shotgun on the Towers Bandwagon. Some of my posts from his early days:

I simply don't care what anyone else says, I think Towers first two games have been OK. Not setting the world on fire, but certainly does enough.

I think Towers is being pretty harshly judged. Didn't set the world on fire, but did quite a few good things. Not necessarily with the ball, but ran to the right place to open space, shepherd and keep his man occupied.

Improving every game. Getting some confidence and starting to look ok. Disposal not as good as Jetta, but a better accountable player because he gives 100% all game, he doesn't dip in and out like Jetta. He's better defensively too.
I'd be pretty disappointed if we let him go just when he's showing some early signs.

I've watched the game a couple of times. Towers may not have done all that much, but he did some good things, was in the right places. He applied decent pressure, good shepherding, and came close to a couple of goals. Nothing to set the world on fire, but he looked solid enough. Certainly didn't look like a point of weakness, just lack of polish.
I'm just not sure what his ceiling is. Was that game nerves, inexperience... will he get better? Or is that his level, i.e. good backup for a Cunningham, Jetta etc... if they get injured?

Towers was a late starter. Despite his age, i still think he was on a level with the other 1st year recruits (Marsh, Dick etc...) but with a bit more developed body. He'll come on, but i never really expected him to be a star in his first AFL year. He'll do another pre-season, and then come in next year, and we'll all sing his praises then.

On an unrelated note, i appear to use the expression "set the world on fire" too often.

I've learned the NAB challenge is a nice way to give us fans a bit of footy for having to put up with cricket for so long (yes, I hate any game that fat guys can play)

Will cancel the bigfooty swans board darts tournament then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree its alarming how poor the stats turn against hawthorn they expose our defence big time by smashing us in the middle

Clearances and kicking efficiency need work big time

I have seen no sign in the nab we changed a thing, as it sits right now we need someone else to knock hawthorn off for us

With respect, that's rubbish. Hawthorn are not unbeatable.

There's way more positives than negatives.
We are typically a terrible starter - but in 8 days (without Buddy, Tippett, McVeigh, Benny) we've knocked off Freo and GWS - and blooded some more pretty handy young guys, great for future depth.
These have also been games with high intensity and pretty good skill levels for early on.
Players aren't perfect - but overall I though Reid and Shaw did their job - I just don't get the "they're rubbish or old or useless or gone".

Umpiring in the Freo game against was criminal - and we just win a game with Stevic playing.
All upside for me in 2015.

With respect, that's rubbish. Hawthorn are not unbeatable.

There's way more positives than negatives.
We are typically a terrible starter - but in 8 days (without Buddy, Tippett, McVeigh, Benny) we've knocked off Freo and GWS - and blooded some more pretty handy young guys, great for future depth.
These have also been games with high intensity and pretty good skill levels for early on.
Players aren't perfect - but overall I though Reid and Shaw did their job - I just don't get the "they're rubbish or old or useless or gone".

Umpiring in the Freo game against was criminal - and we just win a game with Stevic playing.
All upside for me in 2015.

Who said they are unbeatable

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I learned that

i) Heeney touches the ball and half the board get a collective woody
ii) Those same folks think any player over 28 is cooked/done/list clogging
iii)Bird could win a Brownlow and folks would still leave him out of the 22
iv) It's hard to line up sentences neatly when you use Roman numerals
v) Leg End is one of the few sensible posters on this thread.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Will cancel the bigfooty swans board darts tournament then

Yes do that. I have one correction to make. SUMO is a sport played with fat guys and I quite like watching it.

Darts, Snooker, Golf & Cricket are all games rather than sports. Enjoyed by thin and fat people, people dressed in white, people smoking/drinking while playing, and some wearing silly clothes and bits of tartan. I don't mind playing them but they're dull to watch (especially when I play)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I learned that:
1: Mickey Mouse game of practice matches = professed lack of importance v's generated angst is disproportionate
2: GWS are two shock wins away from rest of AFL discovering they also have an Academy. Which comes as no surprise as they've just realised GWS have Riverina recruiting zone. LOL

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
I've also learnt that fans say 'I don't care about NAB', only to totally care about NAB and use it as a predictor to our 2015 season.

I learned that:
1: Mickey Mouse game of practice matches = professed lack of importance v's generated angst is disproportionate
2: GWS are two shock wins away from rest of AFL discovering they also have an Academy. Which comes as no surprise as they've just realised GWS have Riverina recruiting zone. LOL

Lol their secret academy will be found

dangle

Team Captain
Nov 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers, OKC Thunder
I also learnt that since the GF loss, this board is 95% negative Nelly's and the media who thought we were unbeatable going into the GF have been very quick to jump off the bandwagon after one game.

I also thoroughly enjoy bungee's posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back