1. Congratulations to mobitout 8/9 (nobody tipped the card) and 9 points off the tie-breaker. FREE Premium Platinum for 12 months! Full Tapatalk access and no banner ads for a year.

Get your tips in!

2. Trade, Draft and Fantasy Games

Climb into your very own coaches box!

Compete against your BigFooty friends!

Skills What do I need to be able to do

Discussion in 'Skills, Coaching, Admin, Umpires' started by Magpies2010, Mar 18, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. Magpies2010

Magpies2010 Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    What do I need do to be able to play pro AFL

Ok I'm 13, about 166cm tall, 56-7kg, run 20m in 2.99 seconds (July last year), got a good jump and decent set of hands, beep test of 11.2 (October last year), solid 30m right foot kick, left about 20m but am shaky, solid handball on both hand (preferred right hand), I know where the goals are, good leader and am a really determined footballer. I played CHF or in the middle last year.

What do I need to work on? I sometimes stuff up my kicking action on the run and definitely have to work on my left foot but other then that I turn 14 in September what should I have as "goals" for the end of the year when I'm striving to play AFL as a pro.

Help appreciated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. vWestCoast

vWestCoast Team Captain

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Mt Buller Demons
    Re: What do I need do to be able to play pro AFL

Endurance is everything. As a CHF you're require to do a lot of running. Work on that constantly. Try not to focus on slow long distances and instead replace it with interval training (google it)

Work on the skills everyday. I'm 15 and get up every morning at 5 am to train. There is always time to get down and have a run or kick. Aim high, don't try and set the bar low so it's easy to achieve it. You should try and get a bigger kick and be able to hit targets off both feet at a decent distance. Build up your core, do lunges, squats, push ups ect. Don't start lifting as it's completely unnecessary at your age. Just enjoy your footy and try not to over think things.

If you're training all the time and working on your weaknesses there isn't much that can go wrong.
  3. Sweaty Undies

Sweaty Undies Draftee

GWS
    Other teams:
    Re: What do I need do to be able to play pro AFL

what v said.

how are you going btw v?
  4. GeeUUess

GeeUUess Team Captain

GWS
    Other teams:
    You're 13, have fun playing footy!
  5. Pancho Gonzales

Pancho Gonzales Team Captain

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
    First off, as has already been said, have fun with your footy! Only a very few kids ever make AFL and even fewer make a career out of it. What you want to aim for is to become the best footballer you can.

You're at the age where you will be starting to come under the eye of state level development squads. At your current height and weight, there will be plenty of kids with a similiar build to you hoping to get noticed. The big things you want to work on to lift your profile are:

1) Clean hands / disposals - Scouts want to see fellas of your size picking up the ball with one grab, not paddling it forward or fumbling. Make sure you practice getting your hands on the ball with one take. Work at training or with mates with a bump bag to help you practice getting the ball under physical pressure.

2) Impact on the game - Scouts look for kids who can have an influence on the contest; whether it's with the ball or without. Good players may get the ball 30 times a game. This may work out to be 3 minutes of game time. Make sure that for all the time you don't have the ball, you're helping your team - shepherds, smothers, tackles, voice - all tools you need to develop. If your work off the ball helps your side have another 30 effective disposals then you've doubled your impact on the game.

Hope that helps and good luck for season 2012! :)
  6. Magpies2010

Magpies2010 Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Thanks for all your tips guys
  7. Hungryhaydo

Hungryhaydo Rookie

Essendon
    Other teams:
    i think its awesome that you're taking such initiative at such a young age mate...

keep working on skills and overall strength..

one tip, talk to everyone you can in the industry and pick their brains...you can learn something from everyone in this life...so do ur best to extract that.
  8. Silent Alarm

Silent Alarm Is your bed made? Is your sweater on?

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Be tall, have some speed, and know people. That's how most of the kids I know playing AFL got a decent gig. There aren't too many young Jimmy Bartel's in development squads: The majority are strong bodies.