Dogwatcher

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
Loxton, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central District, Moorook
I last night attended the Chopper/Jacko show at the Renmark hotel.

Just wondering what people think of Chop-Chop.

Here are some selected comments from the show:

Referring to his father: We're the criminal version of Steptoe and Son. My old man was a sick bastard. after one of our escapades he said "Of course son, I blame myself, I should've drowned you at birth.”

on pedofiles: People like that should be put down.

Parenting: Be careful what you say to little kids, because they don't realise you're joking.

On his reputation and career: Before you dismiss me as an evil person, I never did anything to people who didn't deserve it. It made common sense to me. Why should I go out and offend mother and father Australia when it was a lot fairer to wait for them (crims) to come home and get them? To me it made common sense but everyone else thought I was an a-hole.

On the movie: I didn't like the movie. The money I made from it went to the Royal Children's Hospital. I didn't even get an invite to the premiere, that's what hurts.

On his book: It's got a good moral to the story, I like it.

Fear: Confront your own fear or it will destroy you.

Finally: There's always a way to kill someone if you use your brains.

Now it's up to you the jury.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
He is the most detested crim. in Melbourne's history. What is colloquially known as a 'dog'. You did well to survive a close encounter with such a psychopath.

On the other hand, for years, every crim. in Pentridge threatened to write a book about their experiences and it all came to nought. He did it, with the help of a couple of journos, and he's parlayed it into a literary career.

Good luck to him, I suppose, though his success says more about the intellect of his readers than it does about him. From my knowledge, you would be surprised how accurate certain parts of his books are. He is not totally p*ss and wind, but a large percentage is, especially the bits about his own exploits.

Finally, it seems a much better idea for him to be flogging books, rather than people.

BTW his name is 'REED'. Don't call him read, because he can't.

Watto

Club Legend
May 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas/Lakers/Mavs
Excuse my ignorance, i know he murdered someone, but what for? I'm not excusing him for that, but he seems like he has got himself together.

NICK THE PIE MAN

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2000
Gold Coast, QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox (MLB)
Originally posted by skilts
He is the most detested crim. in Melbourne's history. What is colloquially known as a 'dog'.

Im doing the school play at the moment and its about prison life. Calling someone a 'dog' is every second line. And to a lesser extent, a chocolate frog. That's also the name of the play. Heard of it?

xBinny

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2001
Sunbury/Victoria
Other Teams
Hawthorn
He is the most detested crim. in Melbourne's history.
Is that right? What about Dennis......damn, forgot his last name! The guy who did all those Richmond murders! The one that was in with the crooked cops, and his Mum was Kathy and.............damn, I can tell you his life story because I'm reading the book at the moment but I can't damn well remember his last name!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh that's annoying!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

I'll get back to you on that one! Damn! Damn! Damn! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh oh oh! Ummmmmm it's something like Pettigale......damn.....close, but a little wrong! :mad:

Well, anyway, he was a maniac. Killing people left right and centre. Nearly put him down as a serial killer, but they couldn't, because he never had a pattern to his killings, he just killed whoever he wanted to.

Damn......what's his last name????????????? :mad:

xBinny

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2001
Sunbury/Victoria
Other Teams
Hawthorn
DENNIS ALLEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His Mum was Kathy Pettingile!

The books called : "The Matriach".

It's a good read, although quite disturbing because it mentions all towns that you know. Including Sunbury which scared the absolute crap out of me!

Dogwatcher

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
Loxton, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dennis Allen

Another book in which Dennis Allen is highly mentioned is Blue Murder, which I'm currently reading.

Blue Murder was also a movie, featuring Alex Dimitriades as a druggie.

Bee

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 6, 2000
In your bonnet!
AFL Club
Carlton
Originally posted by skilts

BTW his name is 'REED'. Don't call him read, because he can't.

Actually it is READ. But you are correct he can barely read, write or spell.
He is a criminal who is making money out of selling his crimes. Maybe this can come under "Confiscation of the profits of crime Act":rolleyes: .
I wouldn't even think about contributing any of my honestly earned money toward him make a living.

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Re: Dennis Allen

Originally posted by Dogwatcher
Another book in which Dennis Allen is highly mentioned is Blue Murder, which I'm currently reading.

Blue Murder was also a movie, featuring Alex Dimitriades as a druggie.

Brilliant TV production that was. All-star cast as well.

Captain Sensible

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jan 8, 2001
On the 'Group W' bench.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Originally posted by xBinny
I think Dennis Allen would definately have to rank as one of (if not THE) most detested Melbourne crim.

Dennis' brother Victor Pierce was gunned down in front of his kids in Port Melbourne last month. He also had a brother called Peter Allen who was also a nasty piece of work he is also now dead.

The police also charged Victor and Peter with the Walsh Street murders where two young police officers were gunned down and killed in Walsh street South Yarra in 1988.

Dennis was a bone fide loony. He once made one of his drug couriers kill his girl friend, cut her up and stuff all the pieces into a barrell for ripping him off. He operated a successful drug dealing-mainly amphetamine-business in Richmond, that rumour has it was frequented by more than one VFL/AFL star.

I dont know that any of these guys would be the most despised crim in Melbourne. The most despised Crims are always rapists and child molesters. In this case I would think that Raymond'Mr stinky' Edmonds would be most hated.

Chopper killed a few people. The only one I can remember for sure was a guy called Chris Liapas for being a drug dealer-Chopper liked to think that he was cleaning the streets of the criminal element.

May 16, 2001
Brisbane
Saying you did something only to people who 'deserved it' is a cop out. Who decides who deserves to die?

Read wanted the money from drug dealers to finance his life.

Get a bloody job or start a bloody business if you need money that bad!

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Originally posted by Appleyard
Saying you did something only to people who 'deserved it' is a cop out. Who decides who deserves to die?

Read wanted the money from drug dealers to finance his life.

Get a bloody job or start a bloody business if you need money that bad!

Quite so. I didn't explain very well what I meant by 'detested'. All the other crims had this opinion, because he ripped off their ill-gotten gains.

It's of little consequence if Joe Public doesn't think highly of a crim. If other crims think you're a 'dog', they are capable of doing something about it. However, because most crims are, by definition, cowards, Read (sorry about that) still graces our fair shores.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Originally posted by localyokel

Dennis' brother Victor Pierce was gunned down in front of his kids in Port Melbourne last month. He also had a brother called Peter Allen who was also a nasty piece of work he is also now dead.

The police also charged Victor and Peter with the Walsh Street murders where two young police officers were gunned down and killed in Walsh street South Yarra in 1988.

Dennis was a bone fide loony. He once made one of his drug couriers kill his girl friend, cut her up and stuff all the pieces into a barrell for ripping him off. He operated a successful drug dealing-mainly amphetamine-business in Richmond, that rumour has it was frequented by more than one VFL/AFL star.

I dont know that any of these guys would be the most despised crim in Melbourne. The most despised Crims are always rapists and child molesters. In this case I would think that Raymond'Mr stinky' Edmonds would be most hated.

Chopper killed a few people. The only one I can remember for sure was a guy called Chris Liapas for being a drug dealer-Chopper liked to think that he was cleaning the streets of the criminal element.

Be very scared.

The worst crim. in Melbourne got out of Pentridge about five years ago. I'm betting none of you have heard of him. His name is Keith Ryrie. This man was the personification of evil. He murdered a five-year-old girl in the late sixties, by ****ing her to death.

He was to be the next one hanged after Ryan. They had his grave dug. Then they stopped topping people. People who knew him in the nineties, while he was still in jail, reckon he's never reformed.

Joe Mama

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2001
Everywhere you want to be
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Mernda, Murch/Toolamba, Man City
"Chopper" Read grew up in Lalor, my uncle Brett knew him, he went to school with him at Lalor Tech, and he said that Mark was full of ***** back then.

Also, my grandfather, Tommy Felle was a cop in the early 70's, (stationed at Preston) when Chopper was cutting his teeth with the Thomastown Sharpies, and he said that if it was daylight, you would have to look at the window, totally unreliable.

I believe that some of the things in his books and in the film were true (especially the bit where he told his girlfriend to "was your mouth out, because it's got the taste of that wog's ****") but, you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Wishinman

All Australian
May 6, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
No doubt We will soon see the next generation of little "chop chop's" running around the suburbs, killing for fun - All inpired by his movie and book.

Chopper is the perfect role model for the young, especially those that are a few beers short of a six pack. He shows that by being a brutal killer, and then writing a few books, that anyone can be successful - a great message to send out to the little kiddies.

I am so happy with the way Australian society is heading......I cannot wait to see what it will be like out on the streets in 40 years time, when i am too old to defend myself - only then will i realise what it is like to be a prisoner, a prisoner in my own home.

Why is society so blind to see where we are heading?

Dogwatcher

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
Loxton, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Loxton News
July 31 2002

A night with ‘Chopper’
by Rob McLean
“There’s always a way to kill someone, if you use your brains.”
Those were the chilling final words of the nation’s most notorious criminal, Mark ‘Chopper’ Read, at the conclusion at his Renmark Hotel talk last Wednesday night.
Around 300 people attended the evening, which also featured Mark ‘Jacko’ Jackson, Adelaide based comedian Kevin Lindblom and former Carlton champion Peter Bosustow, as MC.
The crowd included members of both sexes, visiting Victorian country footballers, avid fans of Chopper Read and those of us who were just curious about the man and the myth.
We found that Chopper’s world is a confusing place.
“Before you dismiss me as an evil person, I never did anything to people who did not deserve it,” he said, in justification of his various crimes and misdemeanours.
“I earned my living standing over other criminals and I thought that was fair enough.”
That comment was greeted by muted cheers from some of the more ardent fans present, as well as applause from his ever-present bodyguard Terry Fox.
Chopper’s infamy developed through a series of novels about his life written whilst still in prison. The novels presented an insight into a world that most of us would not dream of entering.
It was from those stories that Chopper delved for much of the night’s material, meaning there was little new for those who had read any of the novels.
When given the chance to speak about something new, for example the movie about his life (Chopper) and the controversy surrounding his children’s book, ‘Hooky The Cripple’, he answered briefly, giving little insight into his thoughts on the issues.
One insight he did give was that he did not profit from the movie Chopper (although he didn’t say whether its release reinvigorated sales of his books or tickets at his shows), preferring to make a donation to the children’s ward of a hospital.
Like his novels, Chopper’s stories were graphic, meandering and full of self-justification and often weird humour.
The most fascinating aspect for many of those in attendance was being able to look at and get close to this man, whose less than wholesome reputation is based upon absolute fear and violence.
Chopper walks with a slight hunch, his short hair and missing ears (hacked off “for fun” in prison) giving a sense of toughness that most of us could never approach. He is not a man living a lie, his body of evidence proves the stories are true.
When having his photo taken with eager punters Chopper stared straight ahead, barely acknowledging their presence with a less than firm handshake.
He seemed always alert to possible dangers that might confront him. Is a man with a reputation like Chopper ever safe?
In one of the more revealing moments of his talk, Chopper, who proudly quotes that he never hurt women, children or the elderly, also provided some advice to parents.
In his low spoken voice, he leaned forward with that big, scary grin which holds the attention and said “be careful what you say to little kids, they don’t realise you are joking.”
It was a weird moment, one where you asked yourself “is this guy serious?”.
All in all it was a strange evening with Chopper.
At one point in his presentation Chopper said “as far as I’m concerned, the world is a simple, perverted place”.
Given the fact that people paid money to listen to a self-confessed murderer tell jokes as a form of entertainment, Chopper’s probably right.

Deej

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Well, I don't listen to any of the crap people think or write about Chopper or any other person frankly, I just judge people on my own knowledge and experience.

Having met uncle chop chop twice, I reckon he's just a normal rough bloke. I have met and talked to many other people in my life that have given me the creeps far more than chopper did, he seems to be ok so long as he knows you are down to earth and cool about stuff. And honest.

I won't list the pub's name but chopper drinks at a joint in collingwood regularly, it's a decent joint too (Coopers on tap cant be bad!). Plenty of people I know know that he drinks there, and he seems friendly to people that come up and say g'day as long as you arent a nuffnuff or a tourist, ie.groupie type. If you just act normal and you aren't some wet behind the ears type from canterbury or prahran, then he's really quite a reasonable bloke in my opinion.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Originally posted by Bee

Actually it is READ. But you are correct he can barely read, write or spell.
He is a criminal who is making money out of selling his crimes. Maybe this can come under "Confiscation of the profits of crime Act":rolleyes: .
I wouldn't even think about contributing any of my honestly earned money toward him make a living.

Surely he is rehabilitating himself and is only being honest about what he used to do.

Better he sell books than go back to a life of crime.

Dogwatcher

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
Loxton, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Better still if he donates his proceeds from these books to Victims of Crime.
Because he's still benefiting from what he did, for example 20 odd murders for which he proclaims guilt but has never found guilty of.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Better still if he donates his proceeds from these books to Victims of Crime.
Because he's still benefiting from what he did, for example 20 odd murders for which he proclaims guilt but has never found guilty of.

But he has to make a living

At least he is doing it honestly, all be it using his misdeeds of teh past

I think Chopper really does show people why you don't want to go to the Big House though.

Dogwatcher

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
Loxton, SA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I don't know if some people think he is an advertisement for staying out of jail.
There were a lot of people who I saw at his recent show that thought he was an absolute hero.
He thinks its ok to kill pedophiles, well then I might just do it thinks one.
What happens if one day one of these people following in Choppers footsteps get it wrong its not a ped they've killed?

Captain Sensible

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jan 8, 2001
On the 'Group W' bench.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
He thinks its ok to kill pedophiles, well then I might just do it thinks one.
What happens if one day one of these people following in Choppers footsteps get it wrong its not a ped they've killed?

When, not if. You cant take the law into your own hands.

Back