What do people think of Creationism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Creation beliefs originated prior to the Bible and the Bible gave it a voice. The Bible is what creationists lean on as a massive leap of faith.

Then there is the countless scientific books and theories based on evidence of evolution which is strengthened as science progresses.

Some people choose to ignore science as they want to live in a bubble. I don't know why as evolution doesn't disprove God. It just disproves creationism.
Lovely piece of thinking here, just like evolution.

Lovely piece of thinking here, just like evolution.

Thanks. I'm also not trying to sound disrespectful to people who believe in creationism I just find it a bit flippant that some people choose to close their minds.

I can completely understand why creationism would be very plausible many years ago as a way to get people's minds around to why we are here.

Thanks. I'm also not trying to sound disrespectful to people who believe in creationism I just find it a bit flippant that some people choose to close their minds.

I can completely understand why creationism would be very plausible many years ago as a way to get people's minds around to why we are here.

Thats how an 'understanding' of life, death & meaning was explained by tribal man. All over the world different stories were created to make sense of it all.

The bible can be seen as the strict 'word' by fundamentalists, or can allow for adjusted views as 'knowledge' is gained. I think of the religious attack on Galileo. He was a heretic because of his observational astronomy. Even the worst of the Fundamentalists now accept that the Earth goes around the Sun. Its funny how science has broadened our understanding where once it was all magic, mystery & the work of some deity or other.

Its sad that some people simply ignore reality. But thats their right to live in ignorance. It only becomes a problem when the real religious idiots try & force their beliefs on others.

Perfectly logical that a universe could be created which then evolved from thereon in

Doesnt mean there is a god you can ingratiate yourself to for favours in the afterlife

Doesnt men the afterlife exists either

Also too much of the discussion revolves around what some guys wrote a few millennia ago. What has that got to do with anything. Proposing the first ever theory doesn't automatically make it the right theory

Perfectly logical that a universe could be created which then evolved from thereon in

Doesnt mean there is a god you can ingratiate yourself to for favours in the afterlife

Doesnt men the afterlife exists either

Also too much of the discussion revolves around what some guys wrote a few millennia ago. What has that got to do with anything. Proposing the first ever theory doesn't automatically make it the right theory

Exactly. The first - and worst - idea for how we got here.

Clearly the biblical account is rubbish or highly poetic, like a csny song.

Clearly evolution exists and has occurred.

Question is did the universe evolve from nothing or was there a creation.

And was the 'creator' a deighty which can be appeased by religious trappings

If you see yourself as open minded, you have to keep an open mind.

It did occur that very few of our creations have then evolved in a sructural sense, IE is clearly software

So creating such a complex evolving thing is pretty special

Clearly the biblical account is rubbish or highly poetic, like a csny song.

Clearly evolution exists and has occurred.

Question is did the universe evolve from nothing or was there a creation.

And was the 'creator' a deighty which can be appeased by religious trappings

If you see yourself as open minded, you have to keep an open mind.

It did occur that very few of our creations have then evolved in a sructural sense, IE is clearly software

So creating such a complex evolving thing is pretty special

That's the thing, when I grew up I was taught BY A CHURCH that the biblical account included things that weren't necessarily to be taken literally.
As such it made sense.
7 days of creation were "era's of time" not days.
Coming out of the garden of eden - developing intelligence and self awareness during evolution.
etc.

I was actually surprised when creationists came up with the conflict against science. "Stop believing science people , its all magic. Your car goes along the road because we pray for it." Yeah Nah.

Not an expert on darwin, but he didnt set out to disprove god, just made theories based on his observations.

He was smart enough to know there was the creation question, and how people would rail for and against his ideas with other agendas

That's the thing, when I grew up I was taught BY A CHURCH that the biblical account included things that weren't necessarily to be taken literally.
As such it made sense.
7 days of creation were "era's of time" not days.
Coming out of the garden of eden - developing intelligence and self awareness during evolution.
etc.

I was actually surprised when creationists came up with the conflict against science. "Stop believing science people , its all magic. Your car goes along the road because we pray for it." Yeah Nah.

Well isnt that the whole problem. We have a bible, its either taken literally or different people put different interpretations on it. So which is it? Its either true or its a bunch of fairy stories that need some 'expert' to explain it to us dumb folk.

It seems that different people put a different spin on things. It also seems that Christianity & Islam are very similar, but the extreme fundamentalists are completely mad. Talk about blood thirsty savages.
Also the way the religious bigots give us their view of the world & apply it to everyone. What about Hindus & Buddhists, Shinto, Daoism & a thousand other belief systems. They are ignored by the 'truth' sayers.

'Religion' or religious organisations & their dogma is the worlds biggest problem. Not the belief in God per se.

Not an expert on darwin, but he didnt set out to disprove god, just made theories based on his observations.

He was smart enough to know there was the creation question, and how people would rail for and against his ideas with other agendas

Correct. Same as all the early geologists - Buckland, Lyell and co (and Darwin himself - Voyage of the Beagle contains far more geology than biology) - they were all devout men, but once they delved deeper and deeper into the rocks and kept finding different layers, they realised Usher's idea of a 6,000 year old Earth was simply untenable.

Worth noting that there was a debate even back in the first millennium about whether the creation story was figurative. Even though there was no scientific breakthrough to force them to wrestle with this issue, there is a lot in Genesis 1 that suggests it wasn't meant to be taken literally (for example, it's written as poetry). St Augustine was a famous proponent of this view.

Worth noting that there was a debate even back in the first millennium about whether the creation story was figurative. Even though there was no scientific breakthrough to force them to wrestle with this issue, there is a lot in Genesis 1 that suggests it wasn't meant to be taken literally (for example, it's written as poetry). St Augustine was a famous proponent of this view.

Their were certainly some great little thinkers back in the old days.
The philosophers 'drinking song' tells us that.
'Yes Socrates himself is particularly missed, a lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed'.:rolleyes:

Its just a pity we had to put up with the Spanish Inquisition & other such nasty institutions of control. Perhaps mankind could have got past its brutish stage by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the latest version of 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' explained quite clearly how we came to be. Would love to rewatch it with a couple of Creationists in the room just to see what they thought.

Anybody who still believes in creationism is a loony and should be approached with caution.

Is that show coming back? I enjoyed it. I think I remember that episode and it was very good. Still, it didn't have the explanation for the origin of matter.

I thought the latest version of 'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' explained quite clearly how we came to be. Would love to rewatch it with a couple of Creationists in the room just to see what they thought.

Anybody who still believes in creationism is a loony and should be approached with caution.

Believe me, you wouldn't love it all. You'd weep with frustration.

Maybe there isn't one yet.

That's the bit that religious people can't handle above all else - it's ok to not know. Gives us something to try and work out.

God created it is a convenient catch-all explanation when there is no answer and we do not know. Fascinating and daunting to think that once there was nothing.

Well of course we dont know that. It could have been just a different physical reality. We cant see before the BB.

You never know. You don't have to go far back at all to a time when looking at space in detail was science fiction. Maybe they'll work it out someday. Then all hell will break loose!

And like I said, you sound like someone who forms conclusions on insufficient evidence.
Ironic in this thread really.

FWIW you are wrong.
There is myriad evidence of genius existing hand in hand with total insanity within the same person.
50% of the best educated Americans passionately believed in slavery.
Insufficient evidence is being supplied by you and the religious.
No-one else.
In fact no evidence whatsoever. None.

There is myriad evidence of genius existing hand in hand with total insanity within the same person.
50% of the best educated Americans passionately believed in slavery.
Insufficient evidence is being supplied by you and the religious.
No-one else.
In fact no evidence whatsoever. None.

Belief in slavery is not necessarily insanity. Its a matter of philosophy. Many people believe that its OK to get ahead at the expense of others. I don't think that would necessarily be classed as insane.

What are you talking about insufficient evidence being supplied by me. Evidence of what?

No one else what?

Belief in slavery is not necessarily insanity. Its a matter of philosophy. Many people believe that its OK to get ahead at the expense of others. I don't think that would necessarily be classed as insane.

What are you talking about insufficient evidence being supplied by me. Evidence of what?

No one else what?
I never said it was...
Merely examples of allegedly educated people holding illogical views.
Insufficient evidence to support God, religion, creation.

I never said it was...
Merely examples of allegedly educated people holding illogical views.
Insufficient evidence to support God, religion, creation.

I'm not sure why you'd expect me to have evidence to support God , religion , creation.

Mind you, if I believe in StKilda football club, its probably not that much of a leap of faith.

I'm not sure why you'd expect me to have evidence to support God , religion , creation.

Mind you, if I believe in StKilda football club, its probably not that much of a leap of faith.

True.
I was under the impression you were explaining creation?
Maybe i'm got the wrong end of the stick.

True.
I was under the impression you were explaining creation?
Maybe i'm got the wrong end of the stick.

Nah I'm more trying to understand how it can be such a big movement at odds with evident science.
I had religion shoved down my throat as a child ( its a good thing to do to your kids, less chance of them being "born again" later ) , and I didn't see a conflict between religion and science at the time.
But now it seems there is this move where the bible is to be taken literally, and science is to be shunned despite evidence and sometimes sheer blatant obviousness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back