What do People want of the AFL ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumparoo

Rookie
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Having read (and participated) in a few threads about salaries, academies and the general fairness of the AFL I have noticed that there seems to be a number of distinct views of what the AFL comp should be or how it should grow. The two main ones seem to be:

1. The AFL is now a big business and needs to operate as such with an equal and open salary structure and draft with no concessions. A desire to grow the game for all nationally and become an even more professionally run organisation.

2. The AFL has moved away form its roots and it is no longer the same game. The AFL needs to rediscover itself and protect the heartland. No more propping up the game in weaker markets with expansion teams which dilute the game.

It seems generally (I know a sweeping statement) that Victorians favour 2 and the remainder favour 1 (also some things like an equal and open salary structure are wanted by the option 2 people as well (if not more)), but I am interested in genuinely finding out what people think is their ideal for the AFL. Do Victorians value protecting the Victorian teams over developing the game nationally? Would they be happy to accept that maybe in the best interest of the game there are a few too many teams in Victoria (or elsewhere). I have a view (which may come across) but I am not saying one is right and one is wrong, but the differences in views (if strong) have the capacity of really dividing the leagues fanbase.

Last edited:

I don't consider it in the best interests of the competition for any club(s) to merge, relocate or otherwise cease to remain in the league. Business interests shouldn't over-ride the fact that this is a sporting competition, and that people support clubs in this competition: in my view, already too much ground is conceded to the business/financial side of the competition, at the expense of a sporting competition that is fair, equitable, and stable.

I wouldn't consider myself wedded to either of the viewpoints you brought up. My view is simply that we ought to preserve every club in the competition, because those are the entities which people support, and so culling them does nothing to grow the game, but instead to dilute it: like I said, sporting competition firstly, with all that that entails, and business interests only after that.

Given we're dealing with a discussion on the livelihood of those very entities which people support, it's no surprise that this issue is divisive.

to get rid of at least 1 maybe 2 teams in Melbourne, force to relocate or merge.
stop clubs bying up endless amounts of pokes, like the NRL
to fix the COLA situation in NSW, if they do need a cost of living allowance, have it on spent on the number of players earning the least amount, & be made visible for the AFL to monitor it
Move Essendon back to the MCG

The AFL is not a big business.

The biggest clubs have an annual revenue that is slightly less than a single largish Coles or Woolies store. There are over 700 Coles and over 800 Woolies.

All clubs put together would be a smaller business than one tenth of the Coles stores in Melbourne alone.

The AFL is not a big business.

The biggest clubs have an annual revenue that is slightly less than a single largish Coles or Woolies store. There are over 700 Coles and over 800 Woolies.

All clubs put together would be a smaller business than one tenth of the Coles stores in Melbourne alone.
How much was the media deal worth again?

To take care of our great game overall not just the AFL clubs interests.

$1.5 billion.... around 3% of Woolworth's annual revenue.

However Woolworths is an enormous business.

$1.5 billion eh? SME then? In terms of sport in Australia I'd call it big business. In terms of what it used to be it's definitely big business which is clearly what the OP was getting at. I don't see what Coles or Woolworths has to do with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair and equal fixture for all clubs - a form of rolling draw. Commensurate compensation for those clubs ripped off with unfair stadium deals to pay off a stadium that will belong to the afl - I.e. The afl buys the stadium off of the clubs that paid for it! Fair allocation of timeslots. Fair allocation of theme games and tv exposure. From there let them fight it out on an equal basis.
And for the afl to not pay bonuses to its employees based on revenue. Flat pay. They are a non-profit organisation tasked with managing the sport, not tasked with fattening the wallets of the board.

I just want to be able to go the footy and enjoy the day and a contest.

That means fair distribution of playing talent and off field talent across the clubs.
And an affordable enjoyable experience come game day.

No one likes going the footy if your team is getting belted. And I reckon there is a bit of fatigue with clubs like Hawthorn and their supporters not even that interested in going to games where they know they will win easily. And people don't really enjoy alternative time slots.

No cheats in the sport, like Trigg!

*sfellow*

pot-and-kettke.jpg

Why would you compare a sporting organisation to a retail organisation?

Of course Woolies has high revenue, it has a lot of paying customers. However it also has high expenditure for all the products sold.

It's not really a good way of comparing two different industries.
Try considering assets, profits, market value, number of employees etc

Why would you compare a sporting organisation to a retail organisation?

Of course Woolies has high revenue, it has a lot of paying customers. However it also has high expenditure for all the products sold.

It's not really a good way of comparing two different industries.
Try considering assets, profits, market value, number of employees etc

assets
profits
market value
number of employees

Yep I've considered it, the AFL is not a big business.

1. A set of rules which are not changed, and which are implemented at all levels, from AFL to juniors in the country.
2. A few clubs to be rebranded - specifically GWS, Adelaide and West Coast.
3. A level playing field in terms of television exposure, and fixturing in terms of grounds, not just timeslots.
4. Fit electric shock collars to anyone suggesting Melbourne based clubs be relocated or merged.
5. Pricing at games to be corrected so that it can be a day out where you can afford to have a few drinks and some food, rather than having to be so money conscious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back