What do you do and how much do you make?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does everyone get paid:

1) Weekly
or
2) Fortnightly
or
3) Monthly

I have experienced all 3 versions but am currently o fortnightly which i find the best option of the 3

Monthly for me. Being paid fortnightly was good but monthly makes budgeting much easier for me as you can take fixed expenses out straight off the top each month.

Out of every single occupation that I know people currently working in teachers are the easily the ones that most overstate their importance and workload.

12 weeks leave, 8.30-3 every day, no real KPI's, real overtime only required twice a year during report writing periods.

The only thing I will give teachers is that it is definitely challenging dealing with 20-30 students who don't want to be there but you chose the job knowing that so why complain about it!
You're very ignorant. Teaching is so variable in how much work it takes or how long each day is. I am a former teacher and couldn't hack it, I had a difficult class and spent every waking moment dealing with issues, lesson planning etc, this is no exaggeration. If you have a pleasant grade who just follows orders then best case scenario you will get away with what you have described, lesson planning in lunch and what not, however still have meetings and will rarely be home before 5.30.

I am now working in an office job and it is so much easier. As a teacher your work hours are compulsory 8-4 and you have to be on the whole time, you can switch off and chat for 5min etc, you are responsible for those kids and working for the entirety of that time. In other positions your hours may be 9-5 but you aren't working that whole time, I chat to colleagues or mentally switch off between efforts.

I have had several jobs and by a long long way a challenging grade is the hardest job going around.

You're very ignorant. Teaching is so variable in how much work it takes or how long each day is. I am a former teacher and couldn't hack it, I had a difficult class and spent every waking moment dealing with issues, lesson planning etc, this is no exaggeration. If you have a pleasant grade who just follows orders then best case scenario you will get away with what you have described, lesson planning in lunch and what not, however still have meetings and will rarely be home before 5.30.

I am now working in an office job and it is so much easier. As a teacher your work hours are compulsory 8-4 and you have to be on the whole time, you can switch off and chat for 5min etc, you are responsible for those kids and working for the entirety of that time. In other positions your hours may be 9-5 but you aren't working that whole time, I chat to colleagues or mentally switch off between efforts.

I have had several jobs and by a long long way a challenging grade is the hardest job going around.

This is all true, which is why it annoys me that seriously dumb people are becoming qualified teachers every year. Mediocre high school results get you in, then you're at uni failing classes, doing summer school to catch up, can't even read a map to drive to a school for placement. But eventually, in between shifts at Woolies they pass and get their degree. Dumb people teach your kids. The stupid teach, it's like Idiocracy.

This is all true, which is why it annoys me that seriously dumb people are becoming qualified teachers every year. Mediocre high school results get you in, then you're at uni failing classes, doing summer school to catch up, can't even read a map to drive to a school for placement. But eventually, in between shifts at Woolies they pass and get their degree. Dumb people teach your kids. The stupid teach, it's like Idiocracy.

Post = BF username

You're not wrong, definitely agree. There are a lot of ordinary teachers out there. There's some amazing ones though who need more support and need to stop having more pressure put on them.

I took a 30% paycut to do a job I enjoy, compared to my previous one.

I guess I am the odd one out.

I'm about to do the same but not taking that size of a hit, maybe 5 - 10%

It's a position that I've been really pushing for my company to create for the last 3 years and now they've done it. They advertised it for an initial period of 2 1/2 weeks around 3 weeks ago but took it down after 3 days and approx. 80 applicants. I had my interview last Wednesday in which they told me they were only interviewing two, I know who the other one is. It looks like I'll take on the new role and the other bloke will slot into my current supervisory role.

It's a step back for me but for longevity sake, it's something I'd much rather be doing and am fairly passionate about. From my point of view, it's actually quite exciting. The only drawback is the diabolical roster I'm currently doing which will carry on into the new role.

Three months ago I was doing an 8/6 roster, so 48 hours per week. In August we changed to a 7/7 roster, 42 hours per week, I lost $10k but it was well worth it, working 26 less days per year I was expecting to lose a fair bit more based on my current daily rate. :)

6 Weeks ago I shifted onto my current 4/2 and 5/3 roster. I got my $10k back but the difference with the 7/7 roster is that I'm now working an extra 52 x 12 hour days per year to earn it, I now work 54 hours per week for same that I was earning working 48 hours per week.

In real, hourly dollar terms, going from a 7/7 to a 4/2 and 5/3 roster, I've lost around $7 per hour.:( I figure if I'm going to be doing the s**t roster, I might as well be doing something that I will enjoy.

With my current roster, it's really going to restrict where I can live due to needing to be within reasonable proximity to the airport.

I've just found a 2 week on / 2 week off job online, my dream roster, my family and I could live anywhere we want them. I'll have to have a better look at it tomorrow. It would probably include taking another hit to my wage, but for the work / life balance I'll be having a serious look at it.

No I am not ignorant, none of those points you listed would be unknown if you did enough research entering into the job. *, all you had to do was ask a few teachers on one of your placements. It's seriously the equivalent of eating a hot chilli, knowing it's going to be hot and then complaining that it's hot once you've eaten it.

Teachers need to STFU or get out

No I am not ignorant, none of those points you listed would be unknown if you did enough research entering into the job. ****, all you had to do was ask a few teachers on one of your placements. It's seriously the equivalent of eating a hot chilli, knowing it's going to be hot and then complaining that it's hot once you've eaten it.

Did you crash out of a teaching degree? You've got a serious grudge against teachers. They may not have the same type of work you, I and many others do but I have no doubt teaching is a tough profession if done correctly

No I am not ignorant, none of those points you listed would be unknown if you did enough research entering into the job. ****, all you had to do was ask a few teachers on one of your placements. It's seriously the equivalent of eating a hot chilli, knowing it's going to be hot and then complaining that it's hot once you've eaten it.

They weren't unknown, my parents were both teachers and told me all my life to not be a teacher. However, I found myself in a position where I couldn't get work and completing a diploma in education so I could at least earn an income became a good option for me. Now please don't start an argument about unqualified teachers because I already agree, they handout degrees and I think the uni system is a joke.

When you can't find work though and completing a short course in teaching guarantees you an income....... its a poor system.

I decided to do it without ever wanting to be a teacher full time, I just wanted to learn about education in the hope it would help further my qualifications and experiences for other positions. I did give it a go though and quite simply you can earn more money for less work which is now what I am doing. I have been lucky enough to tie both my degrees together and am now working in educating others.

So you're saying because teachings hard (hot chilli) teachers aren't allowed to say as much? At least you're conceding it is an incredibly tough gig.

They weren't unknown, my parents were both teachers and told me all my life to not be a teacher. However, I found myself in a position where I couldn't get work and completing a diploma in education so I could at least earn an income became a good option for me. Now please don't start an argument about unqualified teachers because I already agree, they handout degrees and I think the uni system is a joke.

When you can't find work though and completing a short course in teaching guarantees you an income....... its a poor system.

I decided to do it without ever wanting to be a teacher full time, I just wanted to learn about education in the hope it would help further my qualifications and experiences for other positions. I did give it a go though and quite simply you can earn more money for less work which is now what I am doing. I have been lucky enough to tie both my degrees together and am now working in educating others.

So you're saying because teachings hard (hot chilli) teachers aren't allowed to say as much? At least you're conceding it is an incredibly tough gig.

Don't get me wrong it's a bloody tough job, I certainly couldn't do it which is why I don't. I just get frustrated with how many people know this and then still choose it as a career path and either don't change like yourself or get over it.

Did you crash out of a teaching degree? You've got a serious grudge against teachers. They may not have the same type of work you, I and many others do but I have no doubt teaching is a tough profession if done correctly

See above mate. I don't disagree that at times it's really tough but all the reasons which people complain about are known going into the industry.

Once you are in you aren't stuck there, make a change if it bothers you that much or STFU!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See above mate. I don't disagree that at times it's really tough but all the reasons which people complain about are known going into the industry.

Once you are in you aren't stuck there, make a change if it bothers you that much or STFU!
Yeah fair enough, my argument to that is that good teachers are lost due to a lack of support and a poor system. I think the system should be better and I don't think just accepting that it's crap is logical.

Challenging schools are a complete different ball game to privileged ones but they operate under the same rules.

Happens in every industry. I hated being an accountant and knew what I was getting in to.

Yeah I just think that teachers seem to be the most vocal though and the job is not that bad....

So its not about, not liking the job and complaining about it.

When you boil it down your grips is that you think the job isn't too bad, the pay is good, so they should shut up and be thankful they are dealing with everyone's kids day in day out?

You really need to open your eyes, yes the pay is good, but the job is crap. Fast forward to age 40 plus and the wage is now average, and the job is still crap.

So its not about, not liking the job and complaining about it.

When you boil it down your grips is that you think the job isn't too bad, the pay is good, so they should shut up and be thankful they are dealing with everyone's kids day in day out?

You really need to open your eyes, yes the pay is good, but the job is crap. Fast forward to age 40 plus and the wage is now average, and the job is still crap.

Sort of. My gripe is that you know all of this going into the career, everyone has a choice and if you aren't happy make a change!

Sort of. My gripe is that you know all of this going into the career, everyone has a choice and if you aren't happy make a change!
I think I get what you're saying and I do tend to agree. I knew teaching was a tough gig and poor money, I was prepared for all that and didn't care. I believe it's becoming a harder job than before and long term teachers agree. You just have zero support these days, you have a naughty kid who you do everything to account for but eventually need to discipline so you keep them in for lunch, then mum and dad come and abuse you over it and the principal questions your actions to the point where the kid knows that they have the power over you and thus behaviour is even worse. On top of this you have NAPLAN testing which just isnt fair, teachers teach to the test and don't really educate kids.

I have a passion for teaching and love educating children, helping them grow but you do very little teaching these days. Too many rules. And thus when you want to teach but can see all the things wrong with the system you complain.

I think I get what you're saying and I do tend to agree. I knew teaching was a tough gig and poor money, I was prepared for all that and didn't care. I believe it's becoming a harder job than before and long term teachers agree. You just have zero support these days, you have a naughty kid who you do everything to account for but eventually need to discipline so you keep them in for lunch, then mum and dad come and abuse you over it and the principal questions your actions to the point where the kid knows that they have the power over you and thus behaviour is even worse. On top of this you have NAPLAN testing which just isnt fair, teachers teach to the test and don't really educate kids.

I have a passion for teaching and love educating children, helping them grow but you do very little teaching these days. Too many rules. And thus when you want to teach but can see all the things wrong with the system you complain.

What do you think would improve it, therefore eliminating most of the whinging? Not tongue in cheek

What do you think would improve it, therefore eliminating most of the whinging? Not tongue in cheek
In my opinion if a teachers truly passionate about teaching they don't need more money, the money would just be compensation. I just wanted more support, I felt like I was being hit from all angles and there's noone in my corner. I wanted more education and guidance in dealing with challenging kids and parents, I very much felt left on my own and wasn't supported in my actions. I think it's just a sign of the times but anything you do can be misconstrude by psychotic parents. In the past I think children and parents were respectful of teachers.

Secondly it's super competitive now even between teachers because of the rules in place. The thing that annoyed me most is grading students learning levels. Teachers are under pressure to get ongoing positions and meet learning standards but this just leads them to fudge results. Every 6 months you have to mark where each student ranks. In order to appear to be achieving great results teachers will overank students. The following year you then have your grade filled with kids who aren't at the level they have been graded at and you are under pressure to make them reach the next level or fudge results and pass on to the next teacher for next year. If for example a student is marked level 2 but they are really a 1 they need to be a 3 by the end of the year. I've had kids that I was honest about because I didn't want to pass on the problem but then it looks like I haven't taught them anything in 6 months, or they have even gone backwards. From here you then get parents saying how come my students gone backwards, she wasn't like this with Mrs So and so. This creates pressure between teachers and it's just not condusive to good teaching. I think teachers should need to be accountable and meet standards but the current system supports cheating and bad teaching, not quality. This is frustrating for those who just want to teach kids.

The only way to 'fix' teaching is to value teachers more. Teachers are actually paid OK relative to most professions that aren't professionals or trades, but relative the cost of living it's difficult to get ahead. Lower relative salaries and declining respect leads to less motivation to enter the profession which leads to worse quality teachers... it's a dangerous cycle.

Anyway, teachers are constantly being asked to do more with less. Cost cutting in public education on the front line means bigger class sizes, less resources etc. And don't get me started on constant curriculum changes and other numpty ideas that education bureaucrats come up with...

IMO the main benefit to a private education isn't that you get better teachers (in many instances you do, but it's unfair to make an absolute divide between private and public based on quality) but that that the teachers you do get have better resources at their disposal and there is more of a shared responsibility for the child's education between the teacher and the parents. Far, far too many people treat the public education system as glorified babysitting and expect teachers to raise kids as well as educate them.

I started school in 1990 so after the days of the cane but if you were a little s**t or a dumb campaigner the teacher would tell your parents that you're a little s**t or a dumb campaigner and the parents would respect the teacher's opinion. These days parents side with the kids against the teacher and blame them for the kid's behaviour.

Anyway I could rant much further but I'm off topic as is...

FWIW I'm not a teacher and don't intend to become one. The stories I've heard from friends and family are enough to put me off it.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

I believe him/her. While 80k is on the higher end of the pay spectrum that kind of money does exist in warehouses.

Afternoon or night shift with some overtime as a casual could see that happen at a major warehouse. I used to be a forklift driver and while I didn't make that much, I know it is certainly possible if you do a bit of overtime (I rarely did because I didn't enjoy it).

I'm in the same boat, although I wouldn't say " I couldn't hack it", just wanted a change.

Office job is waaaaaaaay cruiser.

The best thing about the office job is if you're having a crap day you can just go on BigFooty or take a long lunch and catch up with your work when later that night or early the next day. You can smash your work and leave early on a long weekend, get a coffee when you want, goto the toilet when you want, take your holidays when you want, have a beer at lunch etc etc.

Teaching you are responsible for 20 plus kids, with different personalities, stuff going on at home etc etc, it's like a 6 hour oral presentation each day. Then interviews, reports, marking, planning, staff meetings, team meetings, professional development, behavioural calls and meetings with parents, camps, open days etc. Its got its positives, but you have to love it or it's not worth it, even with the holidays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back