What do you do with Shane Watson?

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness to Watson his record in ODI opening was very good and a lot better than Finch and Warner.
93 innings as an ODI opener, 3882 @ 45. SR 91.

That's pretty ******* good.

In fairness to Watson his record in ODI opening was very good and a lot better than Finch and Warner.

Yeah, he fell out of form after 2012 and has been sliding down the order ever since. I also think he was a much better bowler a few years ago as well, he doesn't do much other than toss pies atm, there is no movement, just slow medium pace. Australian wickets have done him no favours either.

I am okay with him being used as an opener if he can return to his previous form but don't think he is a good option down as low as he is unless the top order collapses.

Atm Smith is the only one you have any confidence in occupying the crease, that is part of the problem. We probably under-utilise Haddin and Johnson with the bat because we have so many batsmen and all-rounders. I am not sure if there is a better batting tail out there, but I think ours is good enough that we could drop someone for a strike bowler, i feel we are a bit too weak in the middle overs. NZ might expose us there in the final unless Starc can do some magic early.

Yeah, he fell out of form after 2012 and has been sliding down the order ever since.

no he didn't. The selectors were desperate to get Finch and Warner into the side and couldn't work out how to do it.

Then, yet again in his career, Watson was the 'victim of his (supposed) versatility' and moved to 3 so they could get the bam bam and pebbles into the team.

Ever since, we'vehad 2 rubbish openers and an underperforming #3. Before they made that move, we had one of the best openers in ODI cricket.

Thing is, Watto isn't as versatile as the selectors think, and his record shows it at all levels in all formats.

no he didn't. The selectors were desperate to get Finch and Warner into the side and couldn't work out how to do it.

Then, yet again in his career, Watson was the 'victim of his (supposed) versatility' and moved to 3 so they could get the bam bam and pebbles into the team.

Ever since, we'vehad 2 rubbish openers and an underperforming #3. Before they made that move, we had one of the best openers in ODI cricket.

Thing is, Watto isn't as versatile as the selectors think, and his record shows it at all levels in all formats.

In 2012 batting as an opener in ODIs he scored
1 vs India (aus)
65,21, 15, 19 vs Sri Lanka (aus)
21, 25, 19, 28, 66 vs Windies (WI)
12, 66, 28 vs England (eng)

In 2013:
122, 76, 0 vs Windies (aus)
24 (eng), 5 (nz), 5 (sri) (ENG)

His batting then was okay at #3 for a while before it slumped in 2014, he had the odd good innings but too often just got out relatively quickly after looking shaky, it has only been recent where he has batted lower than 3rd.

He focused too much on bowling and his batting declined and his bowling declined as well, just don't suit the type of wickets most nations are putting down to favour batting. He should retire his bowling, drop about 20kgs and just focus on his batting to return as an opener.

As Pietersen said in the Big Bash, you go from top order to middle order and the next demotion is out of the team. I'd like to see him do well but atm neither part of his game is A grade any longer, I think he still has a future with the bat.

But isn't he an arrogant, self obsessed tossbag?

(This is in no way relevant to any discussion surrounding his form, just the perception people have of him could not be more wrong)

Will Watson go to West Indies?

I think that Smith will be promoted to 3 for the series, Mitch Marsh has had a decent start to his career with the bat and Maxwell is in with a chance to be selected in the squad. Is it time to move on from Watson and let one of the younger guys have a decent opportunity?

Will Watson go to West Indies?

I think that Smith will be promoted to 3 for the series, Mitch Marsh has had a decent start to his career with the bat and Maxwell is in with a chance to be selected in the squad. Is it time to move on from Watson and let one of the younger guys have a decent opportunity?

We shall find out very soon. Watson did score an 81 and a few wickets in last Test of summer so still some chance of staying.

Clarke
S Smith
Haddin
Warner
Rogers
Burns
S Marsh
Johnson
Pattinson
Cummings
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

is something like I am expecting for chore of the spots with more recent results and info going on.

After that Mitch Marsh, Maxwell, Faulkner,Watson and a back up keeper will be hoping their names are on the list of those selected but two or more of them will be missing out. Chances are one of Pattinson and Starc will stay at home too. Harris apparently staying home for birth of child. Voges is the outside chance too for a batting spot after mountain of runs in first class summer. Also forgot about Ashton Agar. He will probably go as a second spinner unless they go with Maxwell as only option after Lyon.
Got no idea if they taking 15, 16 or 17. I think in coming days we will hear the squad announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pattinson was injured in the shield final and they'll take more than 13. If they pick Cummins when his last FC game was against South Africa it'd be pretty poor IMO. For me the squad should be:

Warner, Rogers, S Marsh, Clarke, Smith, Voges, M Marsh, Haddin, Nevill, Johnson, Starc, Hazlewood, Bird, Lyon, Agar

I know they will take more than 13. Expecting it to probably be 15 but had no word on the number.
If Pattison just had twinge of hammy the probably not concerned and still pick him. Depends how serious it was.

Yeah but Pattinson also bowled s**t in the shield final.

He's been injured, came back and played 1-2 shield matches, got injured, came back to the final and broke down mid match.

I'd suggest that the best thing to do with Pattinson is to sort out his body.

Yeah but Pattinson also bowled s**t in the shield final.

He's been injured, came back and played 1-2 shield matches, got injured, came back to the final and broke down mid match.

I'd suggest that the best thing to do with Pattinson is to sort out his body.

You may well be right. Obviously did not see footage of Shield final so the only bowling I seen him do was a bit of Big Bash stuff and a few other highlights and in those moments he showed he lost none of his strike power. However, I do not think you give away a talent like him based on one or two poor games. The selectors know how good he is so a poor final probably not going to change much of their plans. However as you say, if his body needs sorting out that may mean they decide to let him stay home. Problem is , if he missed this they basically also have to leave him out of Ashes too.
Will be interesting to see their approach. Squad I believe will be announced sometimes in next 36 hours.

I'd prefer Pattinson uses his English passport to try and play some county cricket. It would give him some much needed fitness as well as some experience in English conditions before the Ashes.

Interesting idea. Not a bad idea at all. Could be a de-facto 18th Aussie player on tour there doing it what way.
A few Australians in past have made their debut based on just happen to be playing County Cricket over in England when Australia over there with injuries.
Mike Whitney made his debut that way from memory.

But isn't he an arrogant, self obsessed tossbag?

(This is in no way relevant to any discussion surrounding his form, just the perception people have of him could not be more wrong)

At the Boxing Day test two years ago he signed autographs for over an hour outside the players rooms during the match and he was the only one who did (at least while I was there), I was very impressed :thumbsu:

At the Boxing Day test two years ago he signed autographs for over an hour outside the players rooms during the match and he was the only one who did (at least while I was there), I was very impressed :thumbsu:
Watto used to be a very intense character... He seems to have come back down to Earth a lot in the last few years. I was never his biggest fan off the field in the early days, but was always pushing his case on the field. I genuinely thought he was a massive chance of breaking the 40-batting-average and 30-bowling-average barrier. Less than half a dozen players have done that in test cricket history.

I remember reading that he has massive confidence issues and was told to have this strong outward body language to not show weakness. I never really checked into it but it did explain a few things.

As time has moved on it's become obvious he is never going to fulfil that massive talent but he has mellowed right out off the field and things like Daniel Brettig's tweet and a few others have come to light which is good to see.

It does go to show what a massive talent he is. Averages more with that bat then the ball and takes over 1 wicket a test (nearly 1.5). Despite that he is very much considered an unfulfilled talent, and in the eyes of many is deemed as basically a failure at test level.

Hmmm how many more failures before we dump his sorry arse? Is he seriously still the best allrounder we can muster. How sad.

We have a better one in the squad...and all rounder is being nice...is it his 5 overs a test?

Hmmm how many more failures before we dump his sorry arse? Is he seriously still the best allrounder we can muster. How sad.

Hey. Watto is improving.

He's learnt that if he gets out caught really early he can't be criticised for making starts and getting out lbw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back