What do you expect from the new Admin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Going on from the membership discussion, I guess its interesting to see what people expect from the new Admin, and what KPIs will they be judged by to deem if they have been a sucess or failure.
For what its worth, this is what I expect.

1. A flag or at least playing off in a GF by 2020.
2. Revenue to be increased by 15-20% extra a year for the next five years.
3. No more losses. With our place in the SA footy market we should never be placing loses year after year. I expect to have profits around a mill a year going forward.
4. I expect to see our clubs reputation as a power club restored.
5. I want to see our membership grow to match West Coast. They are to WA what we are to SA. We should be closer to West Coast than we are to Port.
6. I want to see our club get better at becoming a destination club for players we want to poach.

That to me is what I expect to see, and how I will judge Fages and co.

West Coast's membership will most likely boot once they get a bigger stadium too.

I want to see us earn respect, be true to our supporters, make a healthy profit, build a culture we can be proud of and stop the talent drain to other clubs. Success will follow.

Hasnt fagan already said the membership numbers don't worry him because he's more interested in selling bigger memberships over quantity? As long as the 11 game memberships are maxed the rest doesn't matter too much, right?

Hasnt fagan already said the membership numbers don't worry him because he's more interested in selling bigger memberships over quantity? As long as the 11 game memberships are maxed the rest doesn't matter too much, right?
He said more than just that.
In fact he said they reduced 11 gamers by 2500ish to create more ga.

Get the next coaching appointment correct and the rest should fall into place. This industry is very much based on being successfull onfield, ie the core business.

Having said that I would also like to see the club invest in non football revenue earners. A pub in the city would be nice, but that industry is not exactly booming at the minute. Maybe we could invest in a fleet of pop up bars and food vendors.

Destination Club? Nice buzz word, and the acquisition of Eddie Betts, who was loved by Carlton supporters and is probably the game's best Small Forward shows we are a destination club. Even if we dont tell everyone we are. Five of our "best 22" players at the moment started their careers at another club. Thommo, Sauce, Jenkins, Eddie and Lynch.

A Premiership.
Fagan has said his goal is to have the best football department. If this happens premiership(s) will follow.

Appointing Walsh was clearly part of this. Now we have to start again with this. This part I am confident he and management can get right.

There is a lot of window dressing to fill column inches. But I tell you what, a premiership will definitely increase my column inches.

I'd just like us to look like we're competing for a premiership. There's only so much our admin can do. The rest is up to the team and coaches.

Going on from the membership discussion, I guess its interesting to see what people expect from the new Admin, and what KPIs will they be judged by to deem if they have been a sucess or failure.

3. No more losses. With our place in the SA footy market we should never be placing loses year after year. I expect to have profits around a mill a year going forward.
5. I want to see our membership grow to match West Coast. They are to WA what we are to SA. We should be closer to West Coast than we are to Port.
6. I want to see our club get better at becoming a destination club for players we want to poach.

Cleric, great post except your membership. This you clearly are refusing to listen and want glory hole numbers you can brag about instead of actually being productive to our needs. The Crows are maximising revenue potential out of Adelaide Oval.

No, he is maximising game day revenue which consists of filling a certain number of seats with 11 game members which are sold out. The rest are a variety of 3 game membership products and general public ticket sales. He is achieving that but also has a members list of nearly 70 odd thousand I think he said of members inclusive of non game day memberships and interstate memberships which is growing at a rapid rate. I think a few people have jumped on the club out of habit when it simply isnt warranted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regular finalist with ultimate success.

Returning regular profits off field.
Profits sounds nice. But there are no shareholders to return a dividend to. So of course that means these go back to the footy club.

However returning a profit in the context of an AFL footy club also suggests that there were excess resources within that year. If you don't win a flag that suggests to me that you did not use every availiabe resource to win that flag.

Continued profits without ultimate success suggests to me priorities could be misplaced.

I am happy with a profit that sustains the club but not so big that not all resources were used in the push for a flag.

After all, what would be the point in posting a $2m+ profit if you finish outside the 8?

A 20% increase would mean revenue almost 2 and a half times what it is now. In 5 years. That's not really feasible.

Profits sounds nice. But there are no shareholders to return a dividend to. So of course that means these go back to the footy club.

However returning a profit in the context of an AFL footy club also suggests that there were excess resources within that year. If you don't win a flag that suggests to me that you did not use every availiabe resource to win that flag.

Continued profits without ultimate success suggests to me priorities could be misplaced.

I am happy with a profit that sustains the club but not so big that not all resources were used in the push for a flag.

After all, what would be the point in posting a $2m+ profit if you finish outside the 8?
But profits also build up cash reserves.

with all the bullshit equalisation going on there will be limits on the amount you can spend in the footy department.

Having cash for capital items won't be a bad thing.

From the admin, off field? to lift us above the mid-tier strong enough to not need help but not strong enough that the taxes etc don't hurt us, that we are well ahead of the level the AFL tries to boost have nots to.

I got historical membership numbers from here. Not sure if they are "official".
http://www.aflmembershipnumbers.com/adelaide-membership-numbers.html

However, our average change in membership over the journey has been +563. The standard deviation is 2562. These numbers have our membership dropping by 106 this year. This is a completely insignificant result.

If there is a more accurate list of membership numbers please, someone point me to it. I'd be genuinely interested it doing this with official figures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back