What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys like Cameron and especially Hogan are the exception. Most key forwards take a few years to develop at least and you usually don't start seeing what they can genuinely do until they are 22 or 23. I will be very interested to see who ends up the better key forward

Boyd
Cameron
Hogan
McCartin
Schache

We are almost entering a sort of golden era in key forwards that we have not really seen in at least 15 years.

Surely you've got a better response than that? Dear God...

I posted a response on his deficiences as a footballer which most dogs fans seem to wising up to apart from a lovestruck few and as usual you nothing of substance to refute of any of it. Your posts are nothing but a waste of bandwidth and time.

If you look at all the key forwards who are the exception to the rule that key forwards take time the majority are the slighter, more athletic types who come into the league with decent tanks already. The bigger blokes always take a few seasons and multiple preseasons (which Boyd hasnt had a full one yet) before they start to hit their strides. A lot of people will be eating their words in a few years. Pfft not a natural forward? Out of the little he has shown in his AFL career to date, thats one thing he has shown.

Guys like Cameron and especially Hogan are the exception. Most key forwards take a few years to develop at least and you usually don't start seeing what they can genuinely do until they are 22 or 23. I will be very interested to see who ends up the better key forward

Boyd
Cameron
Hogan
McCartin
Schache

We are almost entering a sort of golden era in key forwards that we have not really seen in at least 15 years.

*ahem*

60861_9bfbdbb4ead27c9b18847c27fe6b3350.jpg

Could of been another Plowman or O'Rourke. The Boyd trade was very good for us.

Was a good draft pick you got ... pity the player you got in the deal is an absolute shadow of his former self

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying, take the money out of the equation is just stupid. Would everyone like to have a Boyd in their team? Sure. But at 7mil over 7 years you could get any player in the comp bar 2. Any of them. Wingard is hugely close to his family, loves Port, practically tanked the draft to stay in SA. You offer him 7 mil over 7 years and he is yours. Cameron is on 800k a year. Schulz probably 500. Everyone is taking a dump on Cloke for underperforming at about 800k. Same with Tippett at 800k. The Dogs supporters are saying that all their stars have signed. Great. You don't win flags with 5 players. Sydney had to cut their depth to land Franklin and it shows. They are not a better team with him, because they have just shifted the talent around to different ends of the park. For mine, it is an even bigger problem for the Dogs because they have 3-4 guys who are in that Mid-KPF size and they will all take goals off of each other making it all the more futile to pay someone a million a year to do something that other players in the WB team can do 3 times better right now. You don't get a pass for being young when you are probably in the top 5 best paid players averaged over the next 7 years. What do I realistically expect? 300 goals, minimum. That's 42 a year. WB aren't going to magically turn into a turd side, they have too many good young players, but they have spent their cash until the salary cap goes up. Does anyone honestly believe they have got a premiership side? They have got a very good side, but every premiership side that I can think of over the past 15 years has had to bring in 2-3 key players to fill a need. The benchmark is not whether the WB will be a good side over the next 6 years, they will be. It is what they could have been. They were a good side this year and Boyd did SFA. Everyone would have been shitting themselves if they had a spare 1 mil a year lying around after this year so they could go and get 2 quality players. Successful teams get buy in from the players who are willing to play for less to play in a good team. But successful teams don't pay 1 or 2 players way overs and then ask the players around them to accept unders. I don't care how good your culture is, players won't wear that in the long run. Even if Boyd is getting 800k in his 7th year, the WB can't pay him, stringer, Dalhaus, Bont and others comparable money. So what Boyd has to do is establish himself as the best player in that forward line to justify to his teammates why he is on more money than them. To me that is a big ask and a huge risk on WB's part.

Boyd
Cameron
Hogan
McCartin
Schache

You forgot McBean.....

I think 181cm Key forward Blake Hardwick needs to be included in the conversation.

Saying, take the money out of the equation is just stupid. Would everyone like to have a Boyd in their team? Sure. But at 7mil over 7 years you could get any player in the comp bar 2.

NO, no you couldn't.

NO, no you couldn't.

Part hyperbole, but of the people willing to move for money (i.e not people who are nearing the end of careers and want to be one club players) 7 million would get anyone across the line. The only people on more are Buddy and Ablett (the 2) and Scully (won't ever get that money again). 7 Million would test a lot of loyal clubmen as well.

Back