What do you realistically expect from Tom Boyd?

What is a pass mark for Tom Boyd in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
SOS stuffed up a lot of our early picks, this was one of them. At least we shipped him off and got good value at the right time.
Yep, a 28yr old with back issues who was struggling mentally to keep up with the game. Definitely dropped on output this year, would think he is on the slide to the end now. Good value though :rolleyes:

Yep, a 28yr old with back issues who was struggling mentally to keep up with the game. Definitely dropped on output this year, would think he is on the slide to the end now. Good value though :rolleyes:

Pick 7 as well, no? Must admit I thought it was a good trade for you guys at a time (don't think much of Griffen as a player/person anymore) but nonetheless Boyd's first year was horribly off the mark of expectation, but he has time on his side so this trade still has a few years to play out before it can be properly assessed.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pick 7 as well, no? Must admit I thought it was a good trade for you guys at a time (don't think much of Griffen as a player/person anymore) but nonetheless Boyd's first year was horribly off the mark of expectation, but he has time on his side so this trade still has a few years to play out before it can be properly assessed.
Pick 7 for a KPF who went at pick 1? I think any team would do that. Sure, it was but it didn't help that a) he was playing too heavy up at GWS, so last season was focused on him getting his weight down (didnt touch a weight at all i believe) and b) had appendicitis, so started his preseason late as it is. This will be his first full preseason, and i expect improvement from him. I'd say 35-40 goals would be the aim, given that he is likely to probably miss a couple of games through the season. If he can average 2 goals a game, then i'll be happy and mark it as a successful year.

the dog's kennel

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2007
The Land of Baileys
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So he will be on 1 million next year... whats a pass mark for him?

To answer the question I think playing 20 games, scoring 30 goals and providing a serious presence in a lot of contests would be about right.

I also think that those querying him last year simply proved themselves nobs. But this year Boyd has to accept a degree of pressure (not suggesting he should be anything like a finished product. But he should be expected to take a decent step up this year). Hope he rises to the challenge.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He still has one more year before you should be expecting big returns from a promising KPF, only a few jump out the gates by their third season, if he hasn't done anything by the end of 2017 than they might have a problem until then i wouldn't be worried long as he builds year on year.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Not entirely sure who that is. Is it Moore? Either way he definitely needs some acne cream.

Yes its more, and I agree he needs some acne cream.

grouse mate

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2014
On a bike
AFL Club
GWS

I award this post 2/10.

Pick 6 and $1 million in cap paid for by the Dogs. Keep trying you'll get something right one day.

I award this post 2/10.

Pick 6 and $1 million in cap paid for by the Dogs. Keep trying you'll get something right one day.

We must have got something right when we flogged you this season (before you got all those convenient injuries).

I seem to remember many giants fans celebrating at the end of 2014 after that one kick win that it was a sign of things to come.

That cap space is done now, it's irrelevant. Like whoever you burned pick 6 on

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
He was used to just being able to out-body his opponent.
Obvioulsy at AFL level the bodies are bigger so he needs to learn to run and jump at the ball to beat his opponent.
He will have a simular line to Tom Hawkins IMO. He took 3-5 years before he showed anything.
The problem with Boyd is the price the dogs are paying him to do jack s**t.
Boyd and his family are laughing all the way to the bank.

He was used to just being able to out-body his opponent.
Obvioulsy at AFL level the bodies are bigger so he needs to learn to run and jump at the ball to beat his opponent.
He will have a simular line to Tom Hawkins IMO. He took 3-5 years before he showed anything.
The problem with Boyd is the price the dogs are paying him to do jack s**t.
Boyd and his family are laughing all the way to the bank.
Agree with this

1m for him to develop into something seems very pricey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Agree with this

1m for him to develop into something seems very pricey
If in 5 years he's our number one KPF in a premiership contender and up there with the best forwards in the league do you really think were gonna care what we paid for him in his first few years to develop when we had absolutely shitloads of cap space.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
If in 5 years he's our number one KPF in a premiership contender and up there with the best forwards in the league do you really think were gonna care what we paid for him in his first few years to develop when we had absolutely shitloads of cap space.
If you loose other good players because of money you will..

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Compare Boyd to Mcarthy...I know who I'd rather..
Boyd every day of the week. Hes the number 1 forward who can do some ruck work we cab build around, as talented as McCarthy is we dont need a player like him as much as we need Boyd. Of course McCarthy was going to come on a little quicker considering their body types. I have no doubt Boyd will be better in the long run.

And everyone has already signed long term and after this year Boyd will be back to a very managable contract. I think our list management (who would have to be close to one of the best teams in the business in recent years) would have a better idea about this than you.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I'd rather a captain that doesn't go missing when the heat is on, but that's possibly a different matter....
I must of hit a saw point...
If another club offered a unproven 19 yrold a contract like what the dogs offered to Boyd and then the player did jack s**t in his first year im sure the dogs fans would be critical.

Back