What Do You Think Of John Casey As A Commentator?

Remove this Banner Ad

NMFC4LIFE

Team Captain
May 9, 2008
wallan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea,MVFC,Seahawks
I noticed in another thread that John Casey seems to be among a lot of posters worst commentators list which I think is probably a bit harsh given that his play by play announcing career isn't afl based, personally I think he's one of the better play by play announcers as he keeps the commentary flowing with the speed of the game (for reference see c7 & c10 for noticable difference in this area :D) however his knowledge of the game is a bit lacking but should get better. Your thoughts?

Freo_4eva

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont, San Antonio, ND Irish
I will give him credit for not being biased... however i just cant stand his references to things related to time (ie. 4 goals in 9 mins etc) and yes his knowledge is lacking altho improving.

Doesnt get me pumped for a game at all

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I like him. He might muck up players names occasionally but at least he is has no ego or hidden agendas like so many commentators.

Give me a professional caller who makes honest mistakes any day over some biased, semi literate ex player masquerading as a commentator.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Better than Dwayne. Isnt that hard though. 'REACHES INTO HIS BAG OF MAGIC TRICKS. THAT'S FROM THE VERY BOTTOM'. 'IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE A GROWN MAN CRY'.

Personally, I like Casey. 'Gets the job done', 'diffuses the situation', 'climbs upstairs'. If you played a drinking game when he commentates youd be smashed within the first quarter.

Personally, I like Casey. 'Gets the job done', 'diffuses the situation', 'climbs upstairs'. If you played a drinking game when he commentates youd be smashed within the first quarter.

:D Mind you you could probably do that with every commentator. If you were to have a drink for every time Bruce now asks a question, you may well die of alcohol poisoning by half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bushrangers
He treats an AFL game like a basketball game and adapts his traits from that area.

Goals are more meaningful in AFL than basketball, and I don't think he's exciting enough in the key moments of games to reflect this. He also brings up the meaningless stats ("And Troy Simmonds kicks his 8th goal of the season!", "And the Power have 3 goals in 11 minutes!") that should really be shown up on screen instead of spoken.

Juza

All Australian
Jun 7, 2007
Melborune
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melb Victory/Storm
All of Fox Sports Commentators are terrible!

I'd rather have the TV going and hve the radio call the game.

Shinboner '07

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yeah, hes easily the most worst and stupid commentator ever, doesnt know anything... his commentating skills is more suited for sports like golf and lawn bowling

silky268

Draftee
Jul 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm, Liverpool FC
Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether the 3AW commentary of the '08 grand final is available for download somewhere? And if so, where?

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
One of the few who are professional enough to call without bias.

It's a poor commentary on the profession that that needs to be said.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Does anyone have any footage where Casey is commentating? Trying to describe to a mate who he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back