What does BenKen need to do to get a game?

Duggy31

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously, this kid has potential coming out his eye sockets. And IMO just need a solid 3 or 4 game run to really show us what he's got.

He's got X factor, he's got defensive ability, he runs all day, and he kicks goals. Surely this are some traits that would be attractive to selectors.

He's now in his third season and should be cementing his place in our best 22. But I feel he's never been given a chance to do so. I know he's contracted but if he doesn't get a fair go this year I can see him walking.

So could someone tell me what he needs to work on to get selected? Coz I can't see it.

DrDavoren

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
For BK to get a game he needs to put up some consistent good numbers.

Of all our S.A boys he is the one I think will go back home.

He's unwell at the moment. He's not going anywhere, just re-signed at the end of last year, he's just had rotten luck with compartment syndrome limiting his ability to run out games.

Ketchup

Cancelled
May 9, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Aberdeen FC
Has to put together 3-4 strong VFL performances together to take someone's spot. Can't gift games to kids because they're young.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
With JT likely to be gone there is one less fighting that kind of position/role. Blair has it at the minute.
String a few quality games together at VFL and he would in the mix to get a senior gig.
He certainly has more pace than Blair so that has got to help him

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Seriously, this kid has potential coming out his eye sockets. And IMO just need a solid 3 or 4 game run to really show us what he's got.

He's got X factor, he's got defensive ability, he runs all day, and he kicks goals. Surely this are some traits that would be attractive to selectors.

He's now in his third season and should be cementing his place in our best 22. But I feel he's never been given a chance to do so. I know he's contracted but if he doesn't get a fair go this year I can see him walking.

So could someone tell me what he needs to work on to get selected? Coz I can't see it.

He doesn't have X factor. He can't rull all day (is one of our poorest aerobically, probably the worst 2km time trial of all our players under 200 cm). He isn't a great kick (average but not great). He isn't exceptionally quick. He IS tough at the contest, but isn't big enough to do much damage as an inside mid beast.

He will probably make it as a solid 10-20 ranked player in the side, but needs to work on a fair bit and will take some time.

He has to do what Seeds and Broomy did, that is be in the best players for multiple weeks in a row at VFL level.

This slight setback hurts his chances though, means he would have to be BOG next week in the VFL to be any chance for ANZAC day.

He will get games eventually, but some may get games ahead of him (De Goey, Dwyer, Karnezis, Freeman).

Duggy31

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
He doesn't have X factor. He can't rull all day (is one of our poorest aerobically, probably the worst 2km time trial of all our players under 200 cm). He isn't a great kick (average but not great). He isn't exceptionally quick. He IS tough at the contest, but isn't big enough to do much damage as an inside mid beast.

He will probably make it as a solid 10-20 ranked player in the side, but needs to work on a fair bit and will take some time.

I think you may be thinking of Brendan Abbott.

When we recruited him people were calling him the next Brent Harvey, If that's not X factor I don't know what is.

Had no idea he was ill though, that explains Broomhead getting the nod this week.

shizzle

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Exactly, in time he can be a slight upgrade on Jarrad Blair, but he's no Boomer Harvey.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's unwell at the moment. He's not going anywhere, just re-signed at the end of last year, he's just had rotten luck with compartment syndrome limiting his ability to run out games.

What's compartment syndrome?

I rate him, and reckon he'll be a good player once he gets some consistent games. Straight swap for Josh Thomas.

What's compartment syndrome?

I rate him, and reckon he'll be a good player once he gets some consistent games. Straight swap for Josh Thomas.
http://www.aapsm.org/chroniccompartment.html

He was diagnosed at the end of his first year and had surgery in the offseason. Had an interrupted 2014 preseason as a result and struggled to build up the required fitness to run out games, hence the constant sub vests.

This year is his first really fully fit uninterrupted preseason, and he looked quite good during NAB, but this new mystery illness is another setback.

I'd like to see the kid actually get a good run at it. I think he and Broomy have bucket loads of potential, and would both be best 22 by now if they hadn't both had significant setbacks in their first 2 years.

Duggy31

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
By demanding high standards. Outrageous.

I'm all for high standards. And I'm a supporter of Buckley. But there comes a point where players like Blair are regularly vanilla (I admit last week he was quite good) and you have players like Kennedy, Karnezis and Kylie Martin, dominating the 2's and not being rewarded for good form.

No wonder Martin lost his desire. And if Kennedy and Karnezis keep getting overlooked then it's only a matter of time before they follow suit.

ace andy

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

I agree with your opinion of Kennedy.

But having said that there has been times he has dominated the VFL and not been rewarded in the seniors when others were not playing well. I don't think he is a future champ but he has deserved a better crack at it than some of the other young players in the team like Ramsay.

ace andy

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you may be thinking of Brendan Abbott.

When we recruited him people were calling him the next Brent Harvey, If that's not X factor I don't know what is.

Haha people in the draft are always compared to champions. I can't believe you are using an off the cuff comparison by over excited viewers as an evaluation of his actual ability.

Leigh Lowther

All Australian
Apr 20, 2013
Elsternwick
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only thing that needs to be said in this thread...

It's only round 2

X factor isn't a quantitative measure and in my opinion is a bit of a buzzword. Let me tell you that after all the work coaches and selectors put into regarding research and statistics of players, they aren't going to throw it out the window and choose a player because of X FACTOR.

Apart from the fact that Kennedy isn't even right to play right now the coaches and selectors have reasoning behind their choices, and they are obviously confident in their game plan and we'll see how the season unfolds.

Collingwood are trying to refine a gameplan that they believe will make the club succeed. Every current player in the 22 has a specific role they must do, something that doesn't rely on having some immeasurable or special talent because success doesn't ride on that. Look at Hawthorn, they don't need any specific players to fire to win a game. They are all exceptional players and if one player is under performing they are able to collectively pick up the slack.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Ben Ken will play 200 games somewhere, just dont think thr majority will be with us. The match committee at times are just expecting way too much from him, and im sorta over all this s**t like 'he cant run out games'. Thats rubbish. The two games last year where he actually got a chance to stake his claim, he was probably in our best 3 against WC and the GC.

He's a star in the making.

Gambit78

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm all for high standards. And I'm a supporter of Buckley. But there comes a point where players like Blair are regularly vanilla (I admit last week he was quite good) and you have players like Kennedy, Karnezis and Kylie Martin, dominating the 2's and not being rewarded for good form.

No wonder Martin lost his desire. And if Kennedy and Karnezis keep getting overlooked then it's only a matter of time before they follow suit.

I was being a little facetious. But my take on all the players you've raised is that they've come to the club with the ability to play a significant role in our side. What stops them is their ability to play their role for a full game. It's not ability, it's fitness. And all of your mentioned players lack the fitness required for their role. And it frustrates me a little when supporters (not necessarily you) lack the patience to wait for that fitness base to develop. It used to be tall players took until 23-24 to fully develop. It's all of them now. They're the demands of the modern game.

Back