What does BenKen need to do to get a game?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Unfortunately for Ben Ken like Karnezis he is one of the least fit players on our list.

Won't play until he run out games but I still believe he is very talented.

If Ben Kennedy has glandular fever he should be hawked around the SA clubs as an early season special. If he does not show us this year why we drafted him, he never will!
Seriously.... I don't even...

Black Prince

Debutant
Jan 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Barcelona, LA Lakers, NY Yankees,
If Ben Kennedy has glandular fever he should be hawked around the SA clubs as an early season special. If he does not show us this year why we drafted him, he never will!

Does the same apply to Scharenberg Sinclair Reid Brown and maybe half the side ?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does the same apply to Scharenberg Sinclair Reid Brown and co maybe even Buckley ?
Only Kennedy because he is so small and not the best choice in the first place. In any case, all the other players listed have already had long periods on the sideline without needing to add GF to their list of ailments.

This is Ben's third year and he was meant to be AFL ready in his first year. If the rest of you are content to add him to a growing injury list and pass over it without comment, feel free to do so. (Who's next?) I thought he had little enough (no pun intended) to offer before this glandular fever story. If he actually has it, then it is bye bye Ben. Tough but realistic.:p

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We seem to say this year after year. What players other than our's have contracted glandular fever the last 3 years? Whatever way you care to view it, we are down yet another player for most of the year.

I've had glandular and was back to 100% in 2 weeks but I've known other people it's knocked them around for 3 months. The kid really needs some fitness then a good run at AFL level and he will show everyone why he was the AA under 18 rover

Even if it was possible to Hawk a player around at this stage of the season what would be the point. You would be offering him up at a low point and start to negotiate from a point of weakness. "Early season special" right

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Even if it was possible to Hawk a player around at this stage of the season what would be the point. You would be offering him up at a low point and start to negotiate from a point of weakness. "Early season special" right
It's called humour. Mods cannot perceive humour nor its relatives or derivatives. :p

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've had glandular and was back to 100% in 2 weeks but I've known other people it's knocked them around for 3 months. The kid really needs some fitness then a good run at AFL level and he will show everyone why he was the AA under 18 rover
So your personal experience of this illness has determined your view of Ben K's illness! Normally I am sure you'd be riding with your lance held high into battle on the back of a BK barbed comment or a slight at someone else who is not on your short list of off limit players.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Two things

1. string together some form at VFL level

2. build his tank, which still needs work.

Like this kid but still very much ranked as a maybe for mine.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So your personal experience of this illness has determined your view of Ben K's illness! Normally I am sure you'd be riding with your lance held high into battle on the back of a BK barbed comment or a slight at someone else who is not on your short list of off limit players.

Did you even read my comment? I said it could be 2 weeks or months not exactly determining how long he will be out o_O

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Poor kid. Hope it's not a bad case. That s**t can knock you out for weeks or months...

Yeah it was pretty flattening to hear initially considering he's the fittest he's ever been and I'd had my fingers crossed because he was initially given the all clear, but it appears the genie's out of the bottle now.

I personally have question marks on where he fits long term, but there's no denying he deserves a clean run at it!

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He doesn't have X factor. He can't rull all day (is one of our poorest aerobically, probably the worst 2km time trial of all our players under 200 cm). He isn't a great kick (average but not great). He isn't exceptionally quick. He IS tough at the contest, but isn't big enough to do much damage as an inside mid beast.

He will probably make it as a solid 10-20 ranked player in the side, but needs to work on a fair bit and will take some time.

I think he'll surprise a few by what he brings once he's established, just needs a decent run at it.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back