What does each club request for their fixture each season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have request 8 games at Simonds Stadium (4 day, 4 night)
Three MCG home games (will still probably 1-2 at Etihad Stadium)
A marquee game vs either Carlton or Richmond at Kardinia Park
ANZAC Day eve game vs the Bulldogs to kick off ANZAC festivities in Geelong (falls on a Friday night)

I don't understand why Geelong would want to play a high drawing club at their smaller venue? Clubs like the Tigers and Blues average home crowds over 40,000 on a bad day so where would all these supporters fit at Kardinia? Geelong usually fills their stadium even against smaller clubs making the same coin. Wouldn't it better to hold home games against these bigger clubs at bigger venues?

there is a 99% chance that the Saints will be playing in Launny this year. im going to guess early in the season as well. The 2nd Victorian/ex victorian team to play in launny is going to be interesting. Brisbane has already done 3 our of the last 4 years, and Bulldogs 2 out of 2. it would be hard to justify North playing in Launny, which doesnt leave much else on the table.

IM guessing North will play GWS/GC, WCE, and a marquee game against a top performing interstate team or a Victorian one. Im guessing Melbourne, as it is easier to get them to Hobart than Launny due to MCG deal. completely guessing on Hobart though.

No team has played twice in the same season as a away team, yet.

I don't understand why Geelong would want to play a high drawing club at their smaller venue? Clubs like the Tigers and Blues average home crowds over 40,000 on a bad day so where would all these supporters fit at Kardinia? Geelong usually fills their stadium even against smaller clubs making the same coin. Wouldn't it better to hold home games against these bigger clubs at bigger venues?

Unless it's a 70,000+ crowd at the MCG we actually make more money from Simonds Stadium than other venues, regardless of who we play. So financially it's better for the Cats. Whether you think it's fair from a supporter access POV then that's another story, it may not be for the away team. But since when should home games be favoured to the visiting teams? That's part of having a fortress. But because we play the sport at mostly larger capacity venues in this country, I think supporters have been spoiled and feel entitled.

Unless it's a 70,000+ crowd at the MCG we actually make more money from Simonds Stadium than other venues, regardless of who we play. So financially it's better for the Cats. Whether you think it's fair from a supporter access POV then that's another story, it may not be for the away team. But since when should home games be favoured to the visiting teams? That's part of having a fortress. But because we play the sport at mostly larger capacity venues in this country, I think supporters have been spoiled and feel entitled.

Yeah, but let's say you're going to play 'home' games against Gold Coast and Richmond, one at Kardinia park, the other at the MCG....Which combination would make you more money?

Sellout Vs GC at KP, 60K Vs Richmond at MCG.
or
Sellout Vs Richmond at KP, 20K Vs GC at MCG?

Yeah, but let's say you're going to play 'home' games against Gold Coast and Richmond, one at Kardinia park, the other at the MCG....Which combination would make you more money?

Sellout Vs GC at KP, 60K Vs Richmond at MCG.
or
Sellout Vs Richmond at KP, 20K Vs GC at MCG?

We would never play GCS at the MCG unless it was a final, so the comparison isn't valid.

A game this 2014 season at Simonds Stadium we had a average crowd of 28,000 and the club made approx $500K profit per game. It used to be more but the stadium upgrade costs come out now. To make anywhere near that kind of money at the MCG we need a home game that draws 70,000+ because the expenses are much greater at the MCG & Etihad. A full house home game at Etihad only makes us about $150K profit.

I understand that opposition supporters from bigger clubs like Richmond may feel cheated if they have to play an away game at Simonds (due to decreased crowd capacity). But it wasn't that long ago that you did anyway. If the AFL want us to prop up the competition with all these equalisation taxes then we need to play where we can maximise our revenue stream. When it comes to this issue of home grounds I often feel like there's one rule for Geelong, and one for every other club. We don't give away home games like other clubs do, we're forced to play home games at other venues. How is that fair?

We would never play GCS at the MCG unless it was a final, so the comparison isn't valid.

A game this 2014 season at Simonds Stadium we had a average crowd of 28,000 and the club made approx $500K profit per game. It used to be more but the stadium upgrade costs come out now. To make anywhere near that kind of money at the MCG we need a home game that draws 70,000+ because the expenses are much greater at the MCG & Etihad. A full house home game at Etihad only makes us about $150K profit.

I understand that opposition supporters from bigger clubs like Richmond may feel cheated if they have to play an away game at Simonds (due to decreased crowd capacity). But it wasn't that long ago that you did anyway. If the AFL want us to prop up the competition with all these equalisation taxes then we need to play where we can maximise our revenue stream. When it comes to this issue of home grounds I often feel like there's one rule for Geelong, and one for every other club. We don't give away home games like other clubs do, we're forced to play home games at other venues. How is that fair?

Don't get hung up on the specific clubs mentioned.

You get 8 games at KP and 3 games in Melbourne.

Odds are you'll play 3 (11/17*5~=3.25) home games against the 5 'big' melbourne clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond).

So you get 3 big games and 8 against interstate clubs/smaller vic clubs.

8 (near) sellouts at KP anyway.

Doesn't it make sense to have the 3 bigger drawcards where it would actually make a difference?

Don't get hung up on the specific clubs mentioned.

You get 8 games at KP and 3 games in Melbourne.

Odds are you'll play 3 (11/17*5~=3.25) home games against the 5 'big' melbourne clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond).

So you get 3 big games and 8 against interstate clubs/smaller vic clubs.

8 (near) sellouts at KP anyway.

Doesn't it make sense to have the 3 bigger drawcards where it would actually make a difference?

This season we only had 7 home games at Simonds. The club actually wants 9 games with two at the MCG. I understand your POV, but from a monetary perspective we're better off at Simonds for most of our games. What you're arguing makes more sense to you because you view our ground without emotional attachment. So it's easy to say stuff playing these at Simonds. What if the AFL said to Richmond you have to play 3 or 4 home games a year at Etihad? You'd crack the shits big time. As it is, the cats accept that we can't play 11 home games at Simonds. But it's a bit much when opposition clubs/supporters start telling us where we should play our home games. It's downright rude.

This season we only had 7 home games at Simonds. The club actually wants 9 games with two at the MCG. I understand your POV, but from a monetary perspective we're better off at Simonds for most of our games. What you're arguing makes more sense to you because you view our ground without emotional attachment. So it's easy to say stuff playing these at Simonds. What if the AFL said to Richmond you have to play 3 or 4 home games a year at Etihad? You'd crack the shits big time. As it is, the cats accept that we can't play 11 home games at Simonds. But it's a bit much when opposition clubs/supporters start telling us where we should play our home games. It's downright rude.

Pretty sure Geelong started playing in Melb at their request though.

If you played 11 games in Geelong, I wouldn't have a problem. If it's purely a tradition thing without regard to money, I look forward to you hosting Collingwood down there soon....You are requesting that too, right?

Pretty sure Geelong started playing in Melb at their request though.

If you played 11 games in Geelong, I wouldn't have a problem. If it's purely a tradition thing without regard to money, I look forward to you hosting Collingwood down there soon....You are requesting that too, right?
You're missing the point altogether. Geelong has no control over who they play and where they play them. It's decided by the AFL, and I can tell you from experience that the Cats rarely get what they request in regards to the fixture. What you think or what I think has no bearing on the matter. So whatever you don't have a problem with, or do have a problem with is totally irrelevant. You have your opinion, and good luck to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why Geelong would want as many games as possible played at Kardina Park but from an AFL perspective wouldn't they rather have Geelong play smaller teams rather than larger drawing? Geelong fills their stadium regardless so it seems like a no brainer for the AFL to ask Geelong to play the bigger drawing clubs at the MCG where they can draw a massive crowd and all the benefits that go with that. Geelong will still get the same money regardless of who they play at home but are likely to make more money playing the bigger clubs at the MCG (and so would the AFL, broadcasters, caterers etc).

From a completely biased perspective I think Richmond, as one of the highly supported clubs, has played Geelong at Kardina Park for years. The AFL should take this into perspective and look at some of the other higher drawing clubs and give them a 'turn' down the highway. I know fairness never comes into the equation when such decisions are made but I think it should be.

I understand why Geelong would want as many games as possible played at Kardina Park but from an AFL perspective wouldn't they rather have Geelong play smaller teams rather than larger drawing? Geelong fills their stadium regardless so it seems like a no brainer for the AFL to ask Geelong to play the bigger drawing clubs at the MCG where they can draw a massive crowd and all the benefits that go with that. Geelong will still get the same money regardless of who they play at home but are likely to make more money playing the bigger clubs at the MCG (and so would the AFL, broadcasters, caterers etc).

From a completely biased perspective I think Richmond, as one of the highly supported clubs, has played Geelong at Kardina Park for years. The AFL should take this into perspective and look at some of the other higher drawing clubs and give them a 'turn' down the highway. I know fairness never comes into the equation when such decisions are made but I think it should be.

They did this year and the fixture drew a very poor crowd.

R7 2014 Geelong v Richmond M.C.G. 34,377 04-May-2014 3:20 PM

If that game drew 64,377 instead of 34,377 you probably would have a point...

Aside from their fixtures against Hawthorn and Collingwood (ie 70,000 plus) the Cats would make more money playing 30,000 to 60,000 fixtures (ie Richmond, Carlton) at KP than they would in Melbourne.

The capacity of KP is no longer an issue (33000) there is no reason why the Cats shouldn't be allowed to play 8, 9, 10 and in time 11 (when they are not hosting Easter Monday) at KP

They did this year and the fixture drew a very poor crowd.

R7 2014 Geelong v Richmond M.C.G. 34,377 04-May-2014 3:20 PM

If that game drew 64,377 instead of 34,377 you probably would have a point...

Aside from their fixtures against Hawthorn and Collingwood (ie 70,000 plus) the Cats would make more money playing 30,000 to 60,000 fixtures (ie Richmond, Carlton) at KP than they would in Melbourne.

The capacity of KP is no longer an issue (33000) there is no reason why the Cats shouldn't be allowed to play 8, 9, 10 and in time 11 (when they are not hosting Easter Monday) at KP
Maybe you should go and see what the weather was like on that day and then come back and tell us 34 thou is still a poor crowd. I'll save you the effort, the max temp for that day was 14.2 degrees, at 3pm it was even colder than that at 12.3 degrees, the coldest May Day of 2014. Oh it was also raining with close to 10mm falling which was also the 2nd wettest day of May 2014.

Maybe you should go and see what the weather was like on that day and then come back and tell us 34 thou is still a poor crowd. I'll save you the effort, the max temp for that day was 14.2 degrees, at 3pm it was even colder than that at 12.3 degrees, the coldest May Day of 2014. Oh it was also raining with close to 10mm falling which was also the 2nd wettest day of May 2014.

What's your point?

It drew a horrible crowd and would have easily been accommodated at KP. In fact the last 10 Tigers v Cats games in Melbourne have drawn:

34.3k, 55.6k, 33.7k, 42.2k, 37.2k, 34.5k, 48.2k, 33k, 31.3k and 38.4k

That's a hell of a lot of poor weather especially with KP now having a 33k capacity...

Why should Geelong happily shift profit making games to Melbourne, matches that only BE if the weather and 'vibe' is right? In fact there is probably an argument now for the Cats playing all 11 home games in Geelong for the first time since the early 1970s (in seasons where the Cats don't host the Easter Monday game)

What's your point?

It drew a horrible crowd and would have easily been accommodated at KP. In fact the last 10 Tigers v Cats games in Melbourne have drawn:

34.3k, 55.6k, 33.7k, 42.2k, 37.2k, 34.5k, 48.2k, 33k, 31.3k and 38.4k

That's a hell of a lot of poor weather especially with KP now having a 33k capacity...

Why should Geelong happily shift profit making games to Melbourne, matches that only BE if the weather and 'vibe' is right? In fact there is probably an argument now for the Cats playing all 11 home games in Geelong for the first time since the early 1970s (in seasons where the Cats don't host the Easter Monday game)

My point is, only 34 thou rolled up because the weather was s**t plus the fact that we have been the away team 7 out of the last 8 clashes against geelong, lets see what the totals would be with Richmond as the Home team as we were in the bolded.

My point is, only 34 thou rolled up because the weather was s**t plus the fact that we have been the away team 7 out of the last 8 clashes against geelong, lets see what the totals would be with Richmond as the Home team as we were in the bolded.

Okay...

You do realise you're talking about shifting Geelong home games to Melbourne right :eek:

But now that you mention it, the last 10 Richmond home games against Geelong

55.6k, 37.2k, 34.6k, 48.2k, 33.1k, 38.5k, 30.1k, 36.2k, 44.2k, 48.3k

Like I said, no reason why the Cats shouldn't be allowed to play the fixture at KP

Okay...

You do realise you're talking about shifting Geelong home games to Melbourne right :eek:

But now that you mention it, the last 10 Richmond home games against Geelong

55.6k, 37.2k, 34.6k, 48.2k, 33.1k, 38.5k, 30.1k, 36.2k, 44.2k, 48.3k

Like I said, no reason why the Cats shouldn't be allowed to play the fixture at KP
Still no bad figures for a team who has struggled, like I said we have been the away team too much of late v geelong, time for us to be the home team for a while, send Carlton or Essendon down there.

Just too let you know I'm a big believer of you don't negotiate where you play your away games so long as it's home and away on a regular basis against that team but as I've shown that isn't the case.

Can see us hosting Richmond at Kardinia Park, but probably not Carlton or another big side. Haven't hosted Coll/Carl/Ess down in Geelong since the 1990s, so despite the lights and capacity increases, I'm not sure the AFL would arbitrarily begin fixturing them to play there again. Even when Carlton were an absolute basketcase in the mid 2000s, our games were held at Docklands.

I'd say we're probably due to play Richmond twice next year anyway - hasn't happened since 2007. Could play once at the MCG and once at Simonds, in that case.

I'm all for Geelong hosting more Melbourne clubs at Kardina as long as it is not the same clubs every year. Last year we poor for the majority of the year and our crowds suffered as a result but we are now in a position to build and I would expect us to have much larger crowds as a result like we began to achieve in 2013. We had the 3rd highest attendance in 2013 and 5th the year before that so this year was more an anomaly than the standard.

I would like to see clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon play there too. If this occurred you would find that Richmond supporters would be fine with the decision for us to play there as well but the AFL is choosing us to play there over the others mentioned due to crowd numbers - I can't see how this is justified.

Clubs should not be consulted, asked or have any bearing on the fixture. The fixture became a joke as soon as they started asking clubs what they want. How amateur is it to ask the clubs what they want. It is a joke.
The League should set the fixture and it is what it is, you get what you get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back