What does each club request for their fixture each season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong ! as usual. in 2006, Collingwood did not travel to Brisbane at all, but they did have to endure the tough 50 minute flight to Adelaide twice. So Collingwood do not "always" travel once a year to each football state.

Theres always an exception to the rule. I think we travelled to Perth twice back around 2001 as well. The teams we played played interstate finished 1st 2nd 4th and 12th, so it was hardly an easy draw......despite that we won three games. Brisbane finished a lowly 13th with just 7 wins so Collingwood would have preferred a road trip there rather than against 2nd placed Adelaide who beat us twice in 2006 and kept us out of the top four.

Since the two new clubs came in all teams are expected to travel to all major states.

I've heard that Adelaide request to play Brisbane at the Gabba every year.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is true given that Brisbane and Adelaide have played each other at the Gabba for the last 9 years in a row.

pjcrows do you know why the Crows request this fixture every year?

I've heard that Adelaide request to play Brisbane at the Gabba every year.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is true given that Brisbane and Adelaide have played each other at the Gabba for the last 9 years in a row.

pjcrows do you know why the Crows request this fixture every year?
Because it's a good chance to an important away win. If Brissie were good then they wouldn't ask for it.

Conversely, Port Adelaide would probably be forgiven for desperately wanting a home game against Geelong. Last time they met there was Round 1, 2008.

I'm sure Brisbane wouldn't mind a home game against Hawthorn for a change. And from an Essendon point of view, a game against Adelaide in Melbourne would be nice.

It's got to the point where Hawthorn supporters complain that we don't play Brisbane away - I think there's a few Brisbane based hawks and also melbourne based ones looking for a holiday excuse.

It's got to the point where Hawthorn supporters complain that we don't play Brisbane away - I think there's a few Brisbane based hawks and also melbourne based ones looking for a holiday excuse.
You haven't played them in Melbourne in that time either, have you?

As for next year. We're desperately due a home game against Freo. Need one against Geelong too.

Conversely, Hawthorn and Melbourne are well overdue a home game against Essendon.

You haven't played them in Melbourne in that time either, have you?

As for next year. We're desperately due a home game against Freo. Need one against Geelong too.

Conversely, Hawthorn and Melbourne are well overdue a home game against Essendon.

I think there's was one game in Melbourne (2010 or 2011?) over a 7 year or so period. Its usually a fly to tassie game. They're classed as a "victorian" team for purposes of satisfying tasmania wishes for 2 of the clubs we play there to be "victorian" (I think sydney also fit this). So we usually play one "actual" vic team - usually dogs or north (before they started at hobart), one "pretend" vic team and 2 other interstaters.

At least we did visit QLD this year.

I think there's was one game in Melbourne (2010 or 2011?) over a 7 year or so period. Its usually a fly to tassie game. They're classed as a "victorian" team for purposes of satisfying tasmania wishes for 2 of the clubs we play there to be "victorian" (I think sydney also fit this). So we usually play one "actual" vic team - usually dogs or north (before they started at hobart), one "pretend" vic team and 2 other interstaters.

At least we did visit QLD this year.
Actually, right you are.

It was 2012.

Carlton too.

Played Dons at home once in ten years, haven't had a home game against Carlton in 6 or so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They use it as one of their corporate trips every year and make a shedload of $ from it. A lot of Crows fans up there too.

It's just a bit too hot that's all (tongue firmly in cheek).

Win/Win situation for both Brisbane and Adelaide, seems as though Sando was the only one not happy with this fixture :p

Do you know what other fixtures the Crows request?

Adelaide rarely get home games against Carlton, and this year was the first time since 2009 that they played Essendon away.

Do you know what other fixtures the Crows request?

Shocking, but I believe we request a home game against Collingwood and Essendon every year because they have the biggest away support here and increase the chances of getting Friday night football, and we have to request the two showdowns a year I believe, even if it is a bit pro forma.

Shocking, but I believe we request a home game against Collingwood and Essendon every year because they have the biggest away support here and increase the chances of getting Friday night football, and we have to request the two showdowns a year I believe, even if it is a bit pro forma.

Carlton have the biggest support in SA, followed by Collingwood/Essendon/Hawthorn.

Port won't request it, but I dare say we might get an away Friday night game against Essendon next year.

Most clubs seem to request home games against Collingwood every year as they are the most supported club in the country.

Two showdowns a year is always a given.

Carlton have the biggest support in SA, followed by Collingwood/Essendon/Hawthorn.

Port won't request it, but I dare say we might get an away Friday night game against Essendon next year.

What's Richmond's support like in SA?

Will Essendon fans boo Ryder if they get a home game against Port Adelaide?

Does anyone know what priorities each club requests for their fixture, eg. home games against Collingwood, games against other clubs 2x etc.

For example, Fremantle complained about playing in Tasmania back in 2010 IIRC, hence sending half a WAFL side over there. I also heard somewhere that Fremantle now request to the AFL that they have a home game against Geelong each year so they don't have to travel to Kardinia Park.

Yes. North, bullies, Melbourne, hawthorn, Saints and Geelong all request a home game vs Collingwood at the MCG. They basically say, we don't care what else happens as longs as get this fixture. The smaller clubs make about 350k net profit from these games.

Richmond's support in SA isn't very big. I put this mainly down to 3 reasons. During the 80's when the VFL started to gain widespread coverage in SA Richmond were largely s**t, they never had anything resembling a star recruit from SA and most Glenelg supporters (same colours) followed Kernahan to Carlton or became Crows supporters.

Yes. North, bullies, Melbourne, hawthorn, Saints and Geelong all request a home game vs Collingwood at the MCG. They basically say, we don't care what else happens as longs as get this fixture. The smaller clubs make about 350k net profit from these games.

I'm pretty sure that every Victorian club requests a home game against Collingwood every year.

Sydney don't need to as they are contracted to play a home game against Collingwood at ANZ Stadium every year.

West Coast and Fremantle's requests are only in regards to travel, they don't care who they play at home as they sell out Subiaco regardless of who they play.

I'm pretty sure that every Victorian club requests a home game against Collingwood every year.

Sydney don't need to as they are contracted to play a home game against Collingwood at ANZ Stadium every year.

West Coast and Fremantle's requests are only in regards to travel, they don't care who they play at home as they sell out Subiaco regardless of who they play.

Yep makes sense. Also this being the cad why should bag The pies for having so many MCG games? It's the other who ask for them

Hawks will cop every top 8 side twice again.

As for requests can we please have Carlton and Melbourne twice. Never seems to happen (probably because they never make the top 8) but haven't lost to either in nearly a decade.

Who do you reckon they will fixture against Essendon in the early rounds?
I predict
R1 Essendon v GWS
R2 Gold Coast v Essendon
R3 when the six months is up Essendon v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back