Opinion What do you think about the flow of ex-Demons players into the Cats?

Remove this Banner Ad

I might add that we've done ok in the past with players who have come from other clubs - John Barnes, Cam Mooney, Brad Ottens, Liam Pickering, Leigh Tudor, Ken Hinkley and some Hawthorn reject who could play a bit

spinkzy white and grgic

I might add that we've done ok in the past with players who have come from other clubs - John Barnes, Cam Mooney, Brad Ottens, Liam Pickering, Leigh Tudor, Ken Hinkley and some Hawthorn reject who could play a bit

Finally.. someone sees the light. Imagine the trash that woulda been talked on here when we heard that Geelong picked up the 'unproven Ablett guy'.

Blease will be a s**t pickup if it happens.

Rivers was one of Melbourne's best players and has been good for us. Clark was at Melbourne for all of five minutes. More of a Brisbane player.

Whilst the acquisition of Rivers and Clark (potentially) may be fine, the club wouldn't want to get into the habit of recruiting a lot of players who are struggling in bottom sides, which is the case with Blease and Stanley.

So we appear to be on a bit of trend now with ex-Melbourne players joining the Cats playing list.

What does everyone think of this?​

We have ways at Geelong Football Club to rid them of their Demons.

82575_700b.jpg

Last edited:
Traditionally we've had more misses than hits at bringing in other teams players. However I definitely believe there is a lot of Melbourne players, probably even all Melbourne players in the last 5 years who would have been better at any other club.

Traditionally we've had more misses than hits at bringing in other teams players. However I definitely believe there is a lot of Melbourne players, probably even all Melbourne players in the last 5 years who would have been better at any other club.

I wonder what sort of player Jack Watts would be if he was drafted by a top club like say...Hawthorn.

Re: why so many Demons - Melbourne is quite a unique case in modern football in that they've been so ordinary for so long, they have inherited quite a few talented young players through the draft/cap space, and lost them through failure to improve their players or their fortunes. Effectively, there's a lot of untapped potential in that club available cheaply.

This nails it for me.

We could ask the same of people hoovering up former first round picks from GWS, particularly if they don't rise up fairly sharply in the next two years.

Finally.. someone sees the light. Imagine the trash that woulda been talked on here when we heard that Geelong picked up the 'unproven Ablett guy'.
You would have thought that the Hawks would have seen talent after his second game.

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 5.34.52 pm.png

Yep sure they had trouble controlling him. But jesus.

i wonder if blease is that big fish
The smart arse in me wants to call him John West… the fish others reject… but im sure its already been used…

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

spinkzy white and grgic

That's a bit like saying our record with Father-Son picks has been ordinary because of Tim Callan, Adam Donohue and Simon Fletcher.

Yep I didn't mind the stint Tim Hargreaves had at Geelong ;-)....

I do miss the "built not bought" mantra we had for a few years there. I know you can't go on without trading other players, but it was nice knowing that every player was home grown (Ottens being the exception).

If we took that philosophy now, we wouldn't have Josh Caddy.

Some of the players would turn up early to watch the reserves as they knew Gary was playing. This is the Hawthorn seniors we're talking about here. Obviously some of his exploits from back at Drouin, along with brothers Geoff & Kevin, had brought a lot of the hype along with him but that in itself suggests this wasn't any ordinary footballer.
Some of those goals which he kicked at Hawthorn are simply ridiculous. The boundary throw in ruck goal against Richmond where Leigh Matthews twice looked back at Gary just be sure it was him who kicked it . . . talent probably doesn't do the man justice but a shame they couldn't hang onto him ay.
....such a shame

Some of the players would turn up early to watch the reserves as they knew Gary was playing. This is the Hawthorn seniors we're talking about here. Obviously some of his exploits from back at Drouin, along with brothers Geoff & Kevin, had brought a lot of the hype along with him but that in itself suggests this wasn't any ordinary footballer.
Some of those goals which he kicked at Hawthorn are simply ridiculous. The boundary throw in ruck goal against Richmond where Leigh Matthews twice looked back at Gary just be sure it was him who kicked it . . . talent probably doesn't do the man justice but a shame they couldn't hang onto him ay.
I'm gutted Bobby... My heart bleeds for them;):D

When I was in the army I knew a guy who had played at Drouin in the under 15's or something.
This was about 1989 when we had this conversation.

And he said that every junior team used to stay back after their games just to watch him play.
They named a bloody stand after him before he was an AFL star, and he was a kid playing seniors.

I don't think its that big of an issue, rivers was no spud at melbourne and so far has been a really good get for us, Mitch Clark showed how good he can be, also no dud so that's 2 pretty good gets. Blease is a different one, I don't really rate him, he has pace but that's it, didn't do enough at melbourne from what I see. Obviously Geelong see him with a big upside, so will back then if they go through with it.

Definitely has huge upside. Kicked five goals and had 20 touches as a 21 year old in a loss to St Kilda a couple years ago. Will cost us nothing also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back