Opinion What does it mean to be a supporter?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
[MOD EDIT] Hagla wrote this thought provoking post (below) in another thread and it's worthy of a thread of its own.

What does it mean to be a Collingwood supporter?

Folks,

A request - please do not use this thread to bash specific posters and question whether they are real supporters - let's keep it civil.

Thanks

[/MOD EDIT]

Being a supporter isn't all about enjoying the good times alone though. I have no respect for a "supporter" who only knows how to enjoy Premiership years. There's plenty to be excited about when your club isn't winning premierships if you know how to appreciate the whole package. The journey should be more than half the fun, don't come celebrate with me in a Premiership year if you've bagged us out for the last 5 or 6 years (or many more) on the way there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah I'm indifferent. Have been a member of the footy club since I was born and have watched most games - all if it was possible and even if it wasn't I'd at least try get it on the radio. I love the club just as much as anyone on here.

But being in QLD, I've met a tonne of people who say they're Collingwood supporters. Usually because a parent is Victorian and grew up barracking for the Pies or something like that. A lot of the folk up here just don't see as much footy. They like it, they can watch it, and the team they like the most is Collingwood. But they won't really get amongst it until things get pretty.

On one hand I'm like, yeah whatever, the more the merrier.

On the other hand, one such person got tickets to the replay while I missed out and it was the hardest moment of my life to date. She's the type who would say something like this, "yeah, my friend was a mad Pies fan, so I just sort of tagged along and it stuck. Go Collingwood!" but not have any idea that Daisy doesn't play for us anymore. And then when she somehow managed to get a ticket to the granny it drove me wild.

Long story short, I don't really mind how much other people want to support the club, but occasionally an isolated incident will really piss me off.

No one has a right to tell someone else how to support their team. How you choose to support it is up to the individual. Who's really gonna critique Melbourne fans for being pissed off with their team?

No one has a right to tell someone else how to support their team. How you choose to support it is up to the individual. Who's really gonna critique Melbourne fans for being pissed off with their team?
Yeah, sort of, I guess. But I do have the right to criticise their methods, just as they have the right to criticise "their" team (continually). How you react to someone who sh!ts you up the wall is also up to the individual (within reason).

Depends on if they're actually 'supporting' them though.

I cannot stand "supporters" at both the football and online who endlessly abuse our own players, coaches and staff but have nothing constructive to say and are just bitter abusive arseholes.

I have no issue with supporters being critical of the team, but the endless personal abuse of certain players is just ridiculous and some people need to have a good look at themselves.

We are members. Have a membership to Collingwood. A membership to Bigfooty.com when you sign up. Members have a say. Turn up. Pay their money. For me winning is everything. Second sucks. Im competitive. Most of us here weren't good enough to play sport at the elite level but would give up something valuable to play for Collingwood. To see success, to just see players walk away and play else where is incomprehensible to most of us when we think like that. That's passion, to know your players are loyal and give their all. When you get it right as a club it breeds success and thats why you play the game in first place. To win. As supporters we want to go along knowing all the above is occurring. Go pies!

To me, it's all about loving my team and deriving enjoyment in watching them play and seeing the evolution/improvement in our players. It goes without saying that winning is great and I'll never forget how awesome it was to be at the G in 2010 when we won the premiership, just as memorable as the breaking of the drought in 1990. Supporting the Pies is something I carry as a badge of honour - I own it and say bring it on to any nuffie who thinks they can be a cliched smart arse.

However, I think this recent period of success has spoilt some in thinking that it is a given and goes without saying that the Pies will be contenders year in year out. Couple that with some extraordinary teams having unprecendented dominance rarely seen before (Cats & Hawks), and unrealistic expectations set in. Being a supporter means riding the waves, enduring the lows in order to savour the highs and not getting off the bus when things go south.

Footy, as in life, goes in cycles and our turn will come again and with all the groundwork done in 2013 and 2014, we will reap the rewards sooner rather than later. GO PIES!

We are members. Have a membership to Collingwood. A membership to Bigfooty.com when you sign up. Members have a say. Turn up. Pay their money. For me winning is everything. Second sucks. Im competitive. Most of us here weren't good enough to play sport at the elite level but would give up something valuable to play for Collingwood. To see success, to just see players walk away and play else where is incomprehensible to most of us when we think like that. That's passion, to know your players are loyal and give their all. When you get it right as a club it breeds success and thats why you play the game in first place. To win. As supporters we want to go along knowing all the above is occurring. Go pies!
You know I may be in the minority when I say this but I really don't mind the attitude that you have, it's just when I or anyone else attempt to have a decent discussion with you it's quite frustrating when you basically ignore our argument and just say something completely irrelevant. One of the posters I respect the most is 76woodenspooners because when he has a discussion with someone he barely misses a posters point and at times breaks down a whole post into separate quotes in order to be as precise as possible, I may not necessarily agree with the points that he makes but I appreciate the effort he makes to contribute to a discussion. I'm not asking you to be as precise as he is but it would be nice of you to make a bit more of an effort to reply to a persons point rather than to just reply.

That's just it though, for a lot of us winning isn't everything (obviously it's important, we would all like to win). I can still enjoy a season if I can see development though (I spent years enjoying individual achievements of Collingwood players while we were a train wreck - I am so glad I didn't use Bigfooty then because it would have sent me mad, and possibly made me just as sour as some others). Does someones need to vent trump another persons desire to enjoy and discuss the positives of footy without having negative tripe forced down their throats by disillusioned supporters? Does that same disillusioned supporter/member really have the right to yell abuse at players on their own team around kids (or others with a more innocent view of the world)?

The answer is probably neither sides are "right", we can't tell people how to live their life and stop them from being who they are. But those who do choose to view everything in a dim light should know that their negativity does rub off and affect others.

Being a supporter is a positive thing for me. I enjoy barracking (even when we're losing) and I enjoy seeing the young kids become fully fledged magpies as they grow. Two memories sum up being a supporter to me. In 1958 when we were no hope of beating the all powerful Demons (who were boasting about equalling or record of four flags in a row)...blokes like Tuck and Henderson and Louie Richards just drew a line in the sand and beat the blue bloods senseless. It was awe inspiring. Murray Weideman tackled 3 blokes at once during the third quarter....and he chased Ron Barassi for 50 yards before catching him. That was a typical Collingwood team. Few stars but with hearts bigger than Phar Lap's.

The second memory is of Johnny Greening playing his comeback game in 1974. He was a shadow of the champion he had been. He moved so much slower, his balance and reaction time had gone but he carried the number 22 out onto the MCG proudly and he helped us whip the Tigers by a bit. Greening had every right to "hang em up" after his dreadful incident with Jimmy O'Dea that almost cost him his life. But he wanted to try once more. Before his injury he had dreamt of being a Collingwood captain, winning premierships and playing 300 games in the black and white. After he was king hit he dreamt only of playing for the pies once more.

As a supporter you see the good and the bad, the luck and the unfortunate nature of sport. But as a Collingwood supporter you are part of the largest "family / tribe" in the AFL and you have to face the taunts and jealousies of the other clubs supporters because it's true that you either love Collingwood or you hate it. I consider myself lucky to have been born into a Pies family and having the Great Bobby Rose as my first hero. But it could have just as easily been Thorold Merrett, Des Tuddenham, Johnny Greening, Wayne Richardson, Peter Daicos, Gavin Brown, Darren Millane, Jimmy Clement, Bucks or Maxy. Along the journey they have all been significant people in my life and even without knowing them personally they all gave me hope when all else seemed lost.

I don't hold that as a member I am entitled to degrade or to criticise the club because I simply am not well enough qualified to do so. Some will say that's an easy cop out but I truly believe that the CFC has always tried to do the best by us and that we owe them allegiance and support the best way that we can. As I get older I appreciate every pre season. Its always a time of great expectation when dreams are had and spirits soar. I hope to get to as many games as I can, the grandkids take me now!! And I hope to sing the song many more times at the end of each game.
Go Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood is my life.
I know its a big thing to say but its the truth, they have been a result on my happiest moment and saddest moment in my life to date.
My great great grandfather was born in Collingwood and from then on the whole family went for Collingwood, through the tough times , the very early 1900's when the pies first started.
Im a 4th generation Collingwood supporter and every person in my family has to be a Collingwood supporter.
Win, lose or draw after every game i come home, by train talking to other great pies supporters about the history, players, the game, the future.
Will never forget the time , my most proudest moment in my short life. The night after the 2010 pre lim, on the train home all the way to Frankston, where from Richmond station to almost all the way to Frankston the whole carriage was singing the club song, we are the champions, and the collingwood chant.
These memories seem like so long ago, but they feel not too far away again. Stick by us, the times will come good again and the mighty pies will rule the world!

I try to respect others rights to barrack for Collingwood how they choose. You get all types, you see them at the games carrying on like pork chops, bagging everyone left right and centre. Same on here.

I don't really like those that follow the club blindly. One of the worst things i read on here is 'well the club thinks so and they are pros so what would you know' Sometimes people on here seem to get things that the club doesn't. The club does actually get s**t wrong sometimes.

i am at least 3rd generation magpie, and have made sure i extend that further through my kids. I've seen all types, sat in all areas, from corporate to bleachers (even standing room for a few years). I'm happy to support the club through tough times but i reserve the right to voice my concerns when they are underachieving. I think the current group should be performing better. Why aren't they? ****ed if i know but i'm happy to have a guess on here and put my thoughts forward.

As much as we'd like the team to be the premiers every year that's just not going to happen.
Supporting a team means being there in the good times, the not so good, and the bad.
Each year you start with the highest expectations - because anything is possible - and ride the rollercoaster throughout the season.

Your team, in our case Collingwood, is like your family and you support them through the good and the bad, the thick and the thin.
You believe in the team, and know and trust that, no matter what, every member of the team is endeavouring to do his best, and that the Club has the same endeavour.

Nowadays I think it's too easy to question a player's loyalty because it's much easier for him to change clubs, and we can't believe that anyone would prefer to be anywhere other than Collingwood. We invest so much of ourselves in watching them play and taking each one to heart, and it's a tremendous loss when someone leaves.
But for everyone that leaves another arrives, and we start all over again.

It's such a seesaw of emotions but I love it. I love the build up and the scream at the end when you leap up out of your seat when someone goals.
I love the suspense and the uncertainty.
Yes, I hate the disappointment and loss but I'm always there next week, or next season.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Club is everything, and at the end of the day it's the Club we follow - rain, hail or shine :hearts::rainbow:

I think sometimes people consider Collingwood's purpose is to win games of footy / Premierships.

It's not.

Its objective is to win games of footy / Premierships, that's not its purpose.

Is this just semantics?

No.

Consider this example: tomorrow I am going for a run. What is the objective? To run 10km's. What is the purpose? To lose weight / to relieve stress / to get fit.

The purpose drives the objective.

If the purpose had been: "to run 10km's" then I would be running 10km's in order to run 10km's ... A bit hollow and pointless?

It's like a dog that catches the car ... Oops, woof woof, what now?

So if the objective is to win games of footy / Premierships, what's the purpose? What's driving the desire to win games of footy / Premierships? Just to win for the sake of winning? Or is there some higher purpose?

The purpose of the Collingwood Foodball Club is to bring pride to their members and supporters.

How to bring pride to the members and supporters? Win games of footy / premierships of course! But there's more ...

... There are so many other things that bring pride to us ...

Pendles sitting Dale Thomas on his butt - tick
Langdon sledging Dale Thomas - tick
Dane Swan winning a Brownlow - tick
Collingwood having the biggest membership - tick
Collingwood having great facilities - tick
A new Moore wearing the number 30 - tick
Collingwood having a storied history - tick
Collingwood helping the community - tick

Collingwood winning a Premiership - priceless!

Is there a risk that having a purpose that embraces all these other objectives that we lose focus with achieving the ultimate objective?

No.

The purpose drives the objective. When players go out onto the footy field to represent us, they need a purpose for winning, an inspiration to go harder, to go faster, to go stronger.

And what purpose drives that?

To bring pride to us all, the people of Collingwood!

Support your team, their purpose is to do you proud!

Go Pies!!!

Last edited:
I try to respect others rights to barrack for Collingwood how they choose. You get all types, you see them at the games carrying on like pork chops, bagging everyone left right and centre. Same on here.

Too right!

I was peeved when Ed announced the fan forum and made a point that it wasn't going to be an "Internet style carping" session.

There's nothing that gets said on here that doesn't also get said at footy games or in pubs over a beer.

I don't really like those that follow the club blindly.

We're all born that way

One of the worst things i read on here is 'well the club thinks so and they are pros so what would you know' Sometimes people on here seem to get things that the club doesn't. The club does actually get s**t wrong sometimes.

And at the very least it's good to have different points of view to help understand a topic

i am at least 3rd generation magpie, and have made sure i extend that further through my kids. I've seen all types, sat in all areas, from corporate to bleachers (even standing room for a few years). I'm happy to support the club through tough times but i reserve the right to voice my concerns when they are underachieving. I think the current group should be performing better. Why aren't they? stuffed if i know but i'm happy to have a guess on here and put my thoughts forward.

Always happy to hear your views :thumbsu:

I think sometimes people consider Collingwood's purpose is to win games of footy / Premierships.

It's not.

Its objective is to win games of footy / Premierships, that's not its purpose.

Is this just semantics?

No.

Consider this example: tomorrow I am going for a run. What is the objective? To run 10km's. What is the purpose? To lose weight / to relieve stress / to get fit.

The purpose drives the objective.

If the purpose had been: "to run 10km's" then I would be running 10km's in order to run 10km's ... A bit hollow and pointless?

It's like a dog that catches the car ... Oops, woof woof, what now?

So if the objective is to win games of footy / Premierships, what's the purpose? What's driving the desire to win games of footy / Premierships? Just to win for the sake of winning? Or is there some higher purpose?

The purpose of the Collingwood Foodball Club is to bring pride to their members and supporters.

Collingwood winning a Premiership - priceless!

Is there a risk that having a purpose that embraces all these other objectives that we lose focus with achieving the ultimate objective?

No.

The purpose drives the objective. When players go out onto the footy field to represent us, they need a purpose for winning, an inspiration to go harder, to go faster, to go stronger.

And what purpose drives that?

To bring pride to us all, the people of Collingwood!

Support your team, their purpose is to do you proud!

Go Pies!!!

An old chesnut dragged out again. Sorry it's just semantics. I said so the last time you used this. It's all about winning premierships.

"go harder, to go faster, to go stronger." is that a Daft Punk song or the Olympic motto. You've already lifted the Mastercard ad. Priceless.

An old chesnut dragged out again. Sorry it's just semantics. I said so the last time you used this. It's all about winning premierships.

What's the point of winning Premierships?

To stick it to Carlton mates, to snog a stranger at Victoria Park, to smuggly accept a free beer from an Essendon mate ... There's gotta be something.

And what motivation do the players have? To be able to put "won Premiership" on the C.V .. They gotta have something.

"go harder, to go faster, to go stronger." is that a Daft Punk song or the Olympic motto. You've already lifted the Mastercard ad. Priceless.

I grab any pop culture reference I can and I run like I stole it!

I find it hard to explain.

For me I barrack for the club more than any player. I love to watch the players but if they decide to move on I don't care that much. If I thought they were a good bloke at Collingwood I'll think the same elsewhere and if they were a tosser the same applies. I still love Heater but don't care for Daisy but I have to remind myself that they're just young fella's finding their way in life.

I feel lucky to have seen 2 flags in my life. Sure I'd love more, but after seeing the ups and downs I realise that so so much has to go right to win one. I think what irritates me the most is that some think it's so simple. One that sh1ts me is the old 'if MM stayed we would have won more". It's such bollocks it's laughable. And I loved MM as our coach. (Even though I think he's an extremely flawed human being).
I sit beside a 55 year old Saints fanatic at work and that gives perspective. But for a fickle bounce he would have experienced one of he greatest days of his life. Now they're back down the bottom and he's almost resigned himself to never seeing a flag.

I'm looking forward to this season more than say 2011. It might sound strange but 2011 was pretty boring for me. Spent most of the season just waiting for the GF. Going thru tough times (77 79 80 81) makes the good times even better. For that reason the 1990 Second Semi & 2002 Prelim are still 2 of my favourite games. The great thing about this year is that I have no idea what our best 22 will look like by the end of the year. That excites me now, but may disappoint me by years end. Such is footy.

I laugh at myself that footy takes me on such an emotional rollercoaster in such a short space of time. My missus thinks I'm insane when watching the footy but 5 mins after a game (win or lose) I'm back on an even keel. I move on pretty quickly. I may move on but I've already decided what went right/wrong during the game and have firm views on the team, players, and coaches. (I've been wrong on players :D).

It summary footy takes me on incredible highs, drags me down, and lifts me back up again.

I love the Pies and it's part of who I am.

I feel relieved that I didn't grow up supporting another team. :thumbsu:

DEATH TO CARLTON!!!!!!

nuff said...

Great thread.

I have so much love for our club that it annoys me when people attack us.

Good thread on main board about most hated club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back