What does the AFL's tv rights deal mean for the Foxtel Cup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Under the new tv rights deal, the extra ninth game of AFL each week will be a Saturday twilight game shown on Fox. So what now for the Foxtel Cup next year? Will it get dumped after just one year?

A concern I agree. Having said that, I have heard that the Foxtel Cup has been committed to for 3 years. With a 24 hour fox footy channel and FS1 also showing footy, Foxtel need content. The relatively low cost of doing the Foxtel cup (when you consider the millions they paid for the rights), I reckon it will probably survive.

Coles have come on as a sponsor as well apparently, and word is the participating clubs have valued the experience and foxtel ratings have been reasonable.

Interceptor

All Australian
Aug 20, 2009
London, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Just saw a promo for the new AFL channel for 2012 and the Foxtel Cup was listed a feature of the channel. So it should live on. Not sure when we'll see the matches screened though.

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The advert actually says Foxtel cup games lives as well, but the fact they are talked about in the advert for 2012 bodes well for their future.

Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Fitting it in is a problem. Possible Monday night games? The only other slot is Saturday or Sunday mornings as a curtain raiser to the early afternoon games.
* Exactly where it is now, 3 AFL games on Fox Sports AFL, with the Foxtel Cup on between the 4th adn 5th Saturday game
* Sunday Night
* Mid Week

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
A concern I agree. Having said that, I have heard that the Foxtel Cup has been committed to for 3 years. With a 24 hour fox footy channel and FS1 also showing footy, Foxtel need content. The relatively low cost of doing the Foxtel cup (when you consider the millions they paid for the rights), I reckon it will probably survive.

Coles have come on as a sponsor as well apparently, and word is the participating clubs have valued the experience and foxtel ratings have been reasonable.
Cheers for that info 2010. Fingers crossed it does survive and with Foxtel setting up an AFL channel they'll want to keep it going as well given they'll need weekly content. Maybe they could host it Sunday night or a Monday night replay.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
In regards to the Foxtel Cup, what they need to do from next year onwards is instead of having a NEAFL club go up against a WAFL team, because it could end up being a one-sided encounter, what about having the Foxtel Cup split into two groups of eight? Group 1 would be the VFL, SANFL, WAFL clubs that is represented in the Foxtel Cup; Group 2 would be the TSL, NEAFL, NSW-ACT clubs plus NT Thunder. The top two from each group meet in the semi finals. The two winners from the semi finals meet in the grand final.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL says on page 29 of its mid-year review released today that it wants to build on the Foxtel Cup (and NEAFL, academies and draft/combine) as part of its drive for the best talent and make Aussie Rules the No.1 code of choice for the best athletes. So good news the Foxtel Cup will continue into the future :thumbsu:.

http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/afl_hq/afl-2011-mid-year-review^2.pdf

Back