Discussion What Footy Jumpers/Sports Uniforms Do You Own?

Remove this Banner Ad

A recent huge whale catch which immediately vaults into the top 5 of favourites in my collection: Nathan Ablett's signed and match worn 2007 Grand Final guernsey from the record-breaking game against Port Adelaide.

fsxhi.jpg
6fyww4.jpg

A recent huge whale catch which immediately vaults into the top 5 of favourites in my collection: Nathan Ablett's signed and match worn 2007 Grand Final guernsey from the record-breaking game against Port Adelaide.

fsxhi.jpg
6fyww4.jpg

Bloody hell, if that just made it into your top five, the other four above it must be pretty good

Why Ablett would let that go is just beyond me.

Not every footballer has an interest in material memorabilia. Given that he already has his medal and this guernsey was just lying around collecting dust, Nathan was nice enough to sell it.

I know some of the Geelong boys place similar regard toward their guernseys. Not all of them bother collecting for a man cave of sorts or are too fussed with the monetary value of it as an asset. That's obviously a big plus for the crazy home collectors (of which I am one), but if anything it just goes to show how simple and non footy-crazed some of these guys are outside of their jobs as footballers.

Not every footballer has an interest in material memorabilia. Given that he already has his medal and this guernsey was just lying around collecting dust, Nathan was nice enough to sell it.

I know some of the Geelong boys place similar regard toward their guernseys. Not all of them bother collecting for a man cave of sorts or are too fussed with the monetary value of it as an asset. That's obviously a big plus for the crazy home collectors (of which I am one), but if anything it just goes to show how simple and non footy-crazed some of these guys are outside of their jobs as footballers.

Yea that's fair enough, similar to Dane Swan.

I know you probably wont say, but may I ask how much it was? or at least what ballpark it was in?

Traditionally they would have been guernseys, named after Guernsey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey
On Guernsey, they make a style of outerwear in the category that we collectively call jumpers.
Specifically these Guernsey made jumpers are thick and made of wool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey_(clothing)
Today, footy jumpers are no longer made of wool, and no longer even thick, they're light weight polyester.
So it's a stretch to call them guernseys.

There is another Channel Island called Jersey.
They make lighter weight jumpers on Jersey, called jerseys.
The very first Australian Football jumpers were jerseys, swapping over to Guernseys around the 1900s, after having used jerkins, or lace-up vests between the 1880s and about 1900. Some players still wore jerkins up to the early 1910s.

A few weeks ago, you might have found me on the wrong side of this debate. Thanks to everybody's favorite buddy Mero here, who kindly made this distinction in another thread, that cannot be the case. However, I at least had the tenacity to ask . . .

My 2007 Hawthorn long-sleeve training guernsey worn by Josh P. Kennedy in his debut year arrived today. Very happy with it!

15 months late, but here are some (very poor quality) pictures:

JPK1.jpg JPK2.jpg JPK3.jpg JPK4.jpg JPK5.jpg

From what I can glean, JPK debuted in 2008 but was on the list in 2007.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heresan update of my recent purchases

West Perth Player Worn 1962/63. Vinyl numbers are strange

Long sleeve peril. Never worn

US style 90 WCE top

Basketball Singlet

1972 Australia Matchworn Guernsey Ian Miller (worn in games v Carlton in London and Barcelona)

2008 West Perth worn heritage Round Guernsey

2007 West Perth Worn Heritage Guernsey

Latest purchase.

1994 Grand Final Cap

Not 100% sure how many of these there were, or who, apart from the players got them. The bloke I got it off reckons it was the players (obviously:D) and a select number of kids on the day, so maybe the kids that played at half time??

Anyway.
View attachment 70607
View attachment 70608
View attachment 70609

Always loved those caps :eek: would literally sell an arm and a leg if I ever come across one

Always loved those caps :eek: would literally sell an arm and a leg if I ever come across one

Not sure how rare they are, I have seen 3 or 4 in the last year I reckon come up for sale. I'd say they were given to the players, coaches, support staff etc, plus if what this bloke told me is correct, the kids on the day too. So I'm sure they will pop up now and again.

With most of us being collectors of jumpers, and with someone recently getting their hands on a matchworn GF jumper, thought this was a pretty interesting story. Just goes to show how much the game means to some, and then to others it's just a game.

Obviously meant a lot to him, so good to see a happy ending.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-31/gavs-greatest-gift

With most of us being collectors of jumpers, and with someone recently getting their hands on a matchworn GF jumper, thought this was a pretty interesting story. Just goes to show how much the game means to some, and then to others it's just a game.

Obviously meant a lot to him, so good to see a happy ending.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-31/gavs-greatest-gift

Ive always been confused as to how many jumpers Gav wore on the day? Im guessing he only wore one then.

This was from the Power auction site in 2004.

Own the players’ premiership guernseys
Port Adelaide Football Club

Mon 27 September, 2004
It was that one day in September. And it was the Port Adelaide Football Club’s greatest day of them all. Now you can own something very sacred from that day – one of the players’ match-worn premiership guernseys.
All the players wore two guernseys on the day – one they’re keeping for themselves and the other is now up for auction, and will finish on Wednesday or Thursday.
The guernseys come signed, unwashed and with a certificate of authenticity.
The missing three guernseys have already been auctioned off at the Power’s post-game function. They fetched more than $6,000 each, while the match-ball went for $20,000

All the players wore two guernseys on the day – one they’re keeping for themselves and the other is now up for auction

Pretty ridiculous they didn't just say here Gavin have your other one you wore, we will forgo the cash from auctioning yours off so you can keep one. Glad it all worked out in the end for him though, albeit ten years late!

Pretty ridiculous they didn't just say here Gavin have your other one you wore, we will forgo the cash from auctioning yours off so you can keep one. Glad it all worked out in the end for him though, albeit ten years late!

Also ridiculous from a 'trying to get it back' standpoint, as well. If you hold off on auctioning the second guernsey, there would be no reason for anyone besides Wanganeen himself, or the club, to be in possession of his 2004 GF guernsey and the person who had it would have had to keep it hidden away in a closet, once it became publicised that it was missing. Since they went ahead and auctioned the second one off, the person who had the stolen one in their possession could always just say that they won it in an auction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back