• Left

Votes: 16 25.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went out during the week to the steakhouse and one of my mates picked out that I use my left hand to cut the meat. I've never really noticed but I looked around and the other 6 were all in the right then I sussed it out the next night at home and the rest of the family use their right hand. Surely there are other left handers out there. Odd topic yes but I'm right handed for everything house.

Table manners says everyone MUST hold the knife with the right hand, carve using the right, and use the fork with the left when done in conjunction.

Otherwise, when it comes to spoons and forks used alone, one MUST hold it with the right hand.

But for the ACTIVE tasks of cutting, carving, spooning, forking without knifing, etc......if your natural hand is left, you would use the left hand for those tasks only if you don't know table manners or you deliberately want to defy them especially to annoy those upper-class people who roll their noses up so much about these kinds of things.

Last edited:

Table manners says everyone MUST hold the knife with the right hand, carve using the right, and use the fork with the left when done in conjunction.

Otherwise, when it comes to spoons and forks used alone, one MUST hold it with the right hand.

But for the ACTIVE tasks of cutting, carving, spooning, forking without knifing, etc......if your natural hand is left, you would use the left hand for those tasks only if you don't know table manners or you deliberately want to defy them especially to annoy those upper-class people who roll their noses up so much about these kinds of things.

I don't exactly fit in the area of class! Cutting with the right is back to front, the small piece on the plate and the big piece is on the fork.

I went out during the week to the steakhouse and one of my mates picked out that I use my left hand to cut the meat. I've never really noticed but I looked around and the other 6 were all in the right then I sussed it out the next night at home and the rest of the family use their right hand. Surely there are other left handers out there. Odd topic yes but I'm right handed for everything house.
Hate to break it to you but your parents never trained you how to eat properly. I'm amazed how many times I'm at business lunches and dinners and notice work colleagues don't know how to eat. The big one I noticed all the time is people hold their knife like a pencil. May as well wear a sign on your forehead that says "I grew up in Frankston".

Hate to break it to you but your parents never trained you how to eat properly. I'm amazed how many times I'm at business lunches and dinners and notice work colleagues don't know how to eat. The big one I noticed all the time is people hold their knife like a pencil. May as well wear a sign on your forehead that says "I grew up in Frankston".

I'm shattered.

I'm a knife in the left hand guy as well. Apparently my Grandfather ate like that and I copied him. It seems more natural to me as a right hander as all the left hand does is move back and forwards to cut things. My right hand with the fork does all the work in stabbing the meat/veges and moving it up to my mouth.

Stuffed if I'm going to let my unco left hand anywhere near my mouth with anything sharp. I've seen how it throws :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said everything house....

*else

Left for me
Right-handed with everything else and fairly *ed when trying leftie
Except pool, I'm better with my right but can play reasonably well left handed

Back