What happened to .....

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if exactly the right thread, but the current series against the West Indies has made me think about some of the more obscure/random WI players:

Omari Banks
Carlton Baugh
Vasbert Drakes
Nixon McLean
Mahendra Nagamootoo
Ravi Rampaul
Shane Shillingford

Not sure if exactly the right thread, but the current series against the West Indies has made me think about some of the more obscure/random WI players:

Omari Banks
Carlton Baugh
Vasbert Drakes
Nixon McLean
Mahendra Nagamootoo
Ravi Rampaul
Shane Shillingford
Omari is a musician these days.
Carlton Baugh is s**t and I'm surprised he's played as many matches as he did for the Windies
Drakes is 45
McLean is 41
Nagamootoo is 39
Rampaul and Shillingford just fell out favour in recent years.

It really is funny looking back thinking about Damien Martyn's notorious reputation for being so media adverse as a player and seeing how much he seems to be loving being a commentator/pundit/twitter junkie today!

I think he does a pretty good job of it, can't see him ever breaking into the mainstream here in Australia with Channel 9 or the Big Bash, but looks to be forging a nice career overseas with various broadcasters.

It really is funny looking back thinking about Damien Martyn's notorious reputation for being so media adverse as a player and seeing how much he seems to be loving being a commentator/pundit/twitter junkie today!

I think he does a pretty good job of it, can't see him ever breaking into the mainstream here in Australia with Channel 9 or the Big Bash, but looks to be forging a nice career overseas with various broadcasters.

Oh no does this mean in a couple of years we'll have to put up with commentary from Shane Watson ? :p

Martyn & Nannes have been good on the CPL

Ravi Rampaul
Shane Shillingford

Rampaul is currently playing for Barbados in the CPL
Shilligford is playing for St Lucia in the CPL but has only played 2 games [they've played 8] in the series

He was my favourite player to watch, technically he was pretty close to perfection. I was in Wellington in March 2005, saw him get a flawless ton on a difficult pitch, ran into him in the lift in the Lobby, gave him one floor's grace then started gushing - he gave me the wet fish and so I was a bit deflated. Knowing what he was going through at the time and having been in a bad place myself, I wonder what kind of player he could have been if he had been able to free himself during his playing days.

Last edited:
He was my favourite player to watch, technically he was pretty close to perfection. I was in Wellington in March 2015, saw him get a flawless ton on a difficult pitch, ran into him in the lift in the Lobby, gave him one floor's grace then started gushing - he gave me the wet fish and so I was a bit deflated. Knowing what he was going through at the time and having been in a bad place myself, I wonder what kind of player he could have been if he had been able to free himself during his playing days.

I find him such an intriguing and seemingly contradictory character.

Burdened by so much self doubt yet frequently made the game look utterly effortless.
Very quiet guy but strutted around the field like a rockstar all for the purpose of subtly getting under the oppositions skin.
Was never thought of as 'one of the lads' but was best man at Ponting's wedding.
Absolutely detested the media during his playing days, yet is growing what looks to be a successful career as a commentator, opinionated talking head and prolific social media user.

Really is an enigma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back