Strategy What has changed with a new coaching staff?

Remove this Banner Ad

We saw a fully fit team in the opening two rounds and pre-season. The same fitness staff were employed under Worsfold.

Worsfold had to deal with enduring injuries for a few seasons. Simpson cops a few injuries and all of a sudden we witness one of the worst losses in WCE history. Simpson has got a lot to prove.

It's probably only in the top 5 of the last 2 years.

Carlton 2013
Adelaide 2013
Geelong 2013
Collingwood 2013
Geelong 2014

Is probably where I'd rank it. There's also Richmond in 2013 to consider.

Yes, that's fine and to be expected.
People saying Worsfold wouldn't have dealt with the game on the weekend are kidding themselves though. Had Worsfold been coaching, we would have been in the game.

Disagree entirely. Last year showed this.

Sigh. You were just expecting Priddis dropped and it hasn't happened four rounds in. I think Hill being demoted to the seconds was certainly a change. Schofield, Butler and McGinnity also a fair way out of the side (in that it took a huge wave of injuries to see their way into the side).

Yes you are correct. At least the latter happened. Good point.

Poor old Simmo, up until Saturday our only loss under him was in the intraclub scratch match. Then all of a sudden Geelong smashes a glorified East Perth lineup and there's calls for his head.

Agreed. The intention of this thread was to highlight any changes not to discredit Simpson. I am happy with Simpson and I think he gives a refreshing change in the Press conferences. He answers questions with clarity!!!! :eek::p:D

We saw a fully fit team in the opening two rounds and pre-season. The same fitness staff were employed under Worsfold.

Worsfold had to deal with enduring injuries for a few seasons. Simpson cops a few injuries and all of a sudden we witness one of the worst losses in WCE history. Simpson has got a lot to prove.

That wasn't any worse than the losses we suffered towards the end of last year. How about the Adelaide game at Subi to finish the year off last year? The Geelong game at Subi a couple of weeks prior to that? Geelong kicked an identical score and we had 1 more scoring shot on Sat night.
Collingwood at the MCG.
They both had injuries but Worsfold had how many more games experience as a head coach of that playing group up his sleeve?

Agreed. The intention of this thread was to highlight any changes not to discredit Simpson. I am happy with Simpson and I think he gives a refreshing change in the Press conferences. He answers questions with clarity!!!! :eek::p:D

Yeah I thought the thread had departed from your intended topic pretty quickly.

I think (hope) that Priddis' clearances are down due to him not being the focus of our movements from stoppages. I think from a graph shown in another thread his are down and Shuey's are up. From the looking at the game it appears that way but you never know. I like it.
I just think what happened on Sat night lets him know what he has to work with with some of our senior players and their skill level / ability to stand up to pressure.

One of the things I noticed when we are up and about and have all midfielders on board is the spare man on the overlap. Not too sure what the relevance of 'North Melbourne' mates are either; if they are underperforming as an assistant they will be replaced.
We are still a middle of the ladder side with a new coach; at its highest barely top 8. Injuries didn't help our cause at KP either but I have a feeling we were leaving some in the bank for Port @ home.

I think a few here are getting a little carried away, way to early on. We were missing around 700 games of experience on Saturday night against probably the best team in the last 8 years, at their home ground, where they have lost 7 out of their last 50 or so games there. Who remembers in 06 when we were flogged by Port at AAMI, then the week later lost to the dogs at home, then a few weeks later got belted by Freo......what happened at the end of that year. What about when the Hawks got belted by Richmond last year? My point is, most teams lose games throughout the year, sometimes with key players missing, it turns into a flogging, see Freo last year against the saints, it happens to all teams, it's how we respond over the next few rounds that will tell the tale, can't blame Simpson, well not yet anyway;)

OK. Maybe this is a bit early to call but 4 games in have we seen any changes in our team?

I think our game plan has been adjusted slightly. We are trying to be more aggressive on the rebound bringing the ball through the corridor and playing on as much as possible.

I am not sure if anything has changed regarding personnel selections.

Our skills are marginally better but thats not hard to improve on from last year.

NN is still not right. Makes me wonder what they did when he rested from round 16 last year.

Thoughts?

Because the squad is mostly the same?

No s**t! We aren't Carlton just yet.

There were some absolute shellackings on the weekend. We were but one of them.

If losses like the Geelong game become the norm then questions should be asked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the things I noticed when we are up and about and have all midfielders on board is the spare man on the overlap. Not too sure what the relevance of 'North Melbourne' mates are either; if they are underperforming as an assistant they will be replaced.
We are still a middle of the ladder side with a new coach; at its highest barely top 8. Injuries didn't help our cause at KP either but I have a feeling we were leaving some in the bank for Port @ home.

Yes I noticed this too. It was a tactic used against us last year especially and Simpson seems to be employing it in our side. Bennell and Yeo seem to be the ones (and Hurn when in the side) that have been used mostly I see.

There were some absolute shellackings on the weekend. We were but one of them.

If losses like the Geelong game become the norm then questions should be asked

How many is acceptable? I would hope only Geelong and Hawthorn. Any other beltings would be very disappointing.

It's probably only in the top 5 of the last 2 years.

Carlton 2013
Adelaide 2013
Geelong 2013
Collingwood 2013
Geelong 2014

Is probably where I'd rank it. There's also Richmond in 2013 to consider.
That loss to Richmond was the one that really broke my spirits last year. I seem to recall that we had a pretty decent side on the park. Only lost by 40pts, but felt like 20 goals.

I think the coaching staff wrote off the game against Geelong at about Monday last week. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

That loss to Richmond was the one that really broke my spirits last year. I seem to recall that we had a pretty decent side on the park. Only lost by 40pts, but felt like 20 goals.

I think the coaching staff wrote off the game against Geelong at about Monday last week. Or at least that's what I'm hoping.

I pretty much knew then the season was over with that loss.

Simpson looked composed, not stressed. He has been measured in his appraisal and warned of ups and downs as the team developed and adjusted.

WCE had won every game till this point, preseason-regular. A big whack on the injury front playing the Cats at Kardinya, well a big loss was a predictable outcome.

The team has a top 4 defence and forwardline, but a bottom 6 midfield. It will take personel changes and gameplan adjustment to convert the current list to a steady top 8 team. It may happen later in the year, or in following seasons but so far the signs are alright.

The rubbish about worst loss, or boys club, or crazy coaching is just that. The team needs time to adjust, the same as when Lyon took over Freo. One loss and your every post is laced with new invective or accusations, suggests that you either possibly have emotional problems or are winding people up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simpson looked composed, not stressed. He has been measured in his appraisal and warned of ups and downs as the team developed and adjusted.

WCE had won every game till this point, preseason-regular. A big whack on the injury front playing the Cats at Kardinya, well a big loss was a predictable outcome.

The team has a top 4 defence and forwardline, but a bottom 6 midfield. It will take personel changes and gameplan adjustment to convert this situation into a steady top 8 team. It may happen later in the year, or in following seasons but so fa the signs are alright.

The rubbish about worst loss, or boys club, or crazy coaching is just that.[/quote]

Finally someone with some sense well said!

Last edited by a moderator:
the last time i checked, this is a new coach doing his first coaching gig. a lot of people on BF wanted a change, and they got one. they now need to realise these things take time. there's no silver bullet or magic wand. a new coach would be guided, assisted, checked and held accountable like any coach, by the powers above him, week in-week out, its a business, a corporation, no-one gets a free ride. things are written into his contract, there are things he must adhere to, and there are results expected - over a window of time. just because you imagine something, or presume something, or have an emotional investment, doesnt make things true let alone rational? how could anyone rationally propose to get rid of a new coach or criticise him harshly after one month - when he's won 3 from 4 games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back