Roast What has Hurt us this Year(Outside of Injuries)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not counting Injuries as that is Dead Obvious but I want to say some things that I have really worried me about the team and how it has gone Backwards from the year before.

We won’t make the Finals with all the players out so the Miracle won’t Happen.

• Our Disposal has gone to hell. We where a top 5 team last year and now we are just about the worst
  • We have Missed way too many Tackles and that has hurt our Team Defense
  • Losing to many Close Games 4 that we should of won
  • Lack of Intensity some weaks where teams have just come out at just made us look 3rd Rate. Just see the Difference in the last 2 games with Lions we looked terrible and not much fight but we showed a ton of Fight vs GWS. To Patchy
Since about RD 7 we have been pretty Much a Bottom 4 Side.

We still have lot of work to do to Improve next year.

Though I think we stay where we are now or even drop down again next year.

2016 is when I can see us starting our Climb up the Ladder

The game plan has been exposed since the bulldogs loss. We have become easy beats since then.

Disposal is shocking.

Midfield has let us down.

+ Kick ins.

The amount of times we muck those up is ridiculous.

I agree on the 2016 Collingwood climb. Looking forward to it :D

That goes with our Kicking gone Backwards bit

Seriously though
Structure wise and game plan wise I have actually seen some great things this year which has me very hopeful
Think the main problem is disposal

The game plan has been exposed since the bulldogs loss. We have become easy beats since then.

Disposal is shocking.

Midfield has let us down.

Yeah, I would agree the Midfield has gone Backwards a Bit.

Caff started well but not been great since Cotchin has his big Sook.

Not having a Mature Age Ruckman along with Grundy and Witts hurt us. Not Counting Hudson as we should no really on 35/6 year old in the Ruck

Seriously though
Structure wise and game plan wise I have actually seen some great things this year which has me very hopeful
Think the main problem is disposal

I agree there has been some upside to the Season.

Kids coming in Looking good in:

• Broomhead
  • Kennedy
  • Adams
  • Witts 2nd half of Season
  • Grundy
  • Langdon being a Big Surprise how good he is

Recruitment.

Clinton Young, Jesse White, Quinten Lynch, Jordan Russell etc.

I've been more impressed with Tony Armstrong than any of them.

Also Adams has kept on Getting better the longer the Season went and when he played in his Right Position and not down Back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game plan has been exposed since the bulldogs loss.

What game plan? That more than anything else has been the biggest problem this year - we just don't have the speed or endurance runners needed to flood everyone back and then break forward on the counter when the opposition turns the ball over.

When you couple that with our poor foot skills which don't allow us to pick out targets consistently when we do manage to get the spare man out the back you end up with a "game plan" that puts the opposition under no pressure whatsoever.

On another note a defensive "press" doesn't do much good if A) opposition players are constantly standing unmarked on their own in 15-20 metres of space and B) we're allowing opposition runners to casually wander their way through our defensive "structure" unchecked at their leisure to provide options to the ball carrier (often in numbers).

Dane Swan having a quiet year has hurt us considerably. He has almost been underrated in what he has done for our team over the last few years.

I'd like to note a general lack of contented marking outside of Cloke and Elliott. Around the ground we seem incapable of taking a strong grab. Things like that can cause massive turnovers for you and allow you to quickly counter attack. It is something I would be looking to develop in Witts and Grundy. Remember when the ball went near Jolly in 2010? You just knew he was going to mark it. Having that big mobile marking ruckman is an incredibly useful weapon in footy.

Not having a Mature Age Ruckman along with Grundy and Witts hurt us. Not Counting Hudson as we should no really on 35/6 year old in the Ruck

The issue is I doubt any ruckman will make much difference to us short term as we definitely want to get Witts/Grundy over the 50 game mark so they can improve as players... Whoever comes in will be primarily to coach them as they'll keep pumping games into them. Its a 'short term pain for long term gain' situation with our rucks and will continue to be next year I'd say (however I can imagine one year it just 'clicking' for one of them as they have that much talent but just need a bit more strength, conditioning and work on their game for it to all come together - I'd predict 2016/17)

The only thing worse than our kick ins is when we are defending theirs at the other end. Way too many coast coast stuff while we zone. Fix those 2 areas & we will improve significantly. CasuallyDressed is spot on with regards to recruitment as well. Adams will be a good pick up, but not liking what I see from Young & White. Lynch was already finished when we recruited him as well. Drafting is still first class, we just need to get our guys on the park. I would not be writing Shazza off just yet. He will be a beauty for us in time.

The issue is I doubt any ruckman will make much difference to us short term as we definitely want to get Witts/Grundy over the 50 game mark so they can improve as players... Whoever comes in will be primarily to coach them as they'll keep pumping games into them. Its a 'short term pain for long term gain' situation with our rucks and will continue to be next year I'd say (however I can imagine one year it just 'clicking' for one of them as they have that much talent but just need a bit more strength, conditioning and work on their game for it to all come together - I'd predict 2016/17)

I agree. We have come this far with Witts & Grundy. Now we need to stick with them. A back up is all we need. But both of these young rucks need to be the priority as far as game time goes.

What game plan? That more than anything else has been the biggest problem this year - we just don't have the speed or endurance runners needed to flood everyone back and then break forward on the counter when the opposition turns the ball over.

When you couple that with our poor foot skills which don't allow us to pick out targets consistently when we do manage to get the spare man out the back you end up with a "game plan" that puts the opposition under no pressure whatsoever.

On another note a defensive "press" doesn't do much good if A) opposition players are constantly standing unmarked on their own in 15-20 metres of space and B) we're allowing opposition runners to casually wander their way through our defensive "structure" unchecked at their leisure to provide options to the ball carrier (often in numbers).
looks like you should be coaching as you clearly know more about it than Bucks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back