Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2014
Leningrad
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Partiya Lenina
Liked: Footscray, Daniel Menzel.

Learnt: The game is shedding its fabric faster than I thought and Operation: Fan Experience demonstrates this on so many levels.

Hated: How the AFL and the media handled the Goodes rubbish. Also the standard of TV play-by-play commentary was just atrocious.

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I was driving back from Perth ....listening to derby 1 ....freo had kicked 11 Goals straight to start the game...I was so angry I couldn't drive .....it was dangerous ...I'm thinking it's going to be long long year ....

Fast forward 5 months ....and dam me ...I'm either having one messed up dream or I have eaten some magic mushrooms but my team is going to finish top 2 ......with the injuries we've had .....

What odds could we have got ......1000-1 on this happening ..write you're own ticket

No one with any sense would have predicted freo ...1 west coast 2 ......

Bring it on baby

YES! YES! YES!

All Australian
May 4, 2014
Disputed Western Sahara Region
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked: Win against Geelong.

Learned: Bevo may become the next Paul Roos

Hated: Just about everything. More ASADA non-sense. More AFL PC non-sense. More players condemned for speaking their minds. More sub rule non-sense.

Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo and West Coast dominating the competition once again.

Carlton and North Melbourne hogging more than their fare share of Friday night games.

650 page threads of BF users wasting their lives debating wherever Adam Goodes throwing an imaginary spear was racist or not.

Bullying on this site whenever an OP doesn't post a "good enough" thread.

Honestly this season has absolutely sucked. I would've been happier if they just played the Cricket World Cup and completely boycotted Season 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans

Hated: Just about everything. More ASADA non-sense. More AFL PC non-sense. More players condemned for speaking their minds. More sub rule non-sense.

Carlton and North Melbourne hogging more than their fare share of Friday night games.

650 page threads of BF users wasting their lives debating wherever Adam Goodes throwing an imaginary spear was racist or not.

Honestly this season has absolutely sucked. I would've been happier if they just played the Cricket World Cup and completely boycotted Season 2015.
Don't worry you've still got this

guy-skiing-in-hemsedal-dsbw-1400x1400.jpg

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked:

Richmond's form after round 6.
Hird quitting.
Footscray's form (although I kinda hated it too, its scary what they might become).
Essendon and Carlton folding like a pack of cards.

Learned:

Some AFL fans are a bunch of entitled sooks, they get cheap tickets, free football on tv on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and world class stadiums but chuck a tantrum because the AFL don't like it when fans racially vilify players. Some of them now wish the season never went ahead. I don't want to hear another Victorian complain about Etihad's "lack of atmosphere". Jesus Christ, toughen up guys.

Hated:

The commentary, it's garbage. And it's not like you can pay for better commentary either, it's rubbish on fox too. Radio commentary is decent but I need visuals.
Richmond's early season form.
Confusion about the tribunal penalties.
Essendon saga undermining the game.
Missing Ablett, the game is better with him.
Hird quitting (I dislike the guy, but he was doing a good job sinking the enemy). :p

Aug 16, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens

So 3 Friday night games isnt a "fare" amount for a finalist?

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle & Peel Thunder
Liked: Fremantle showing the competition that the season is a marathon not a sprint. Nat Fyfe is the best player in the competition.
Learnt: Every year, expect the unexpected from at least one team. This year - West Coast and Bulldogs.
Hated: All of those Friday Night Football games involving Carlton.

Liked - Dogs, Eagles, Crows and Saints showing all sorts of fire along the way.

The openess of the competition.

The rise of Cripps and Hogan.

The Essendon implosion.

Hated - Everyone thinking that the AFL tribunal was the last word on Essendon. WADA were always coming...

Losing in NZ again.

Melbourne. There is just no light at the end of that tunnel and Roos has been shown for what he is - a fraud.

Learnt - AFL is just a team version of WWE. Much better to assume it's all rigged before you head in instead of thinking it's a legit sports industry. Still fun to watch though :thumbsu:

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Dislike from 2015
No 1. the rules still need changing, in some instances, we all, including players umpires spectators and commentators sometimes don't know what a penalty is for .
No 2. 50 metre penalties are given too often for too little things, not the extra whack after a mark that's OK , but the petty things, and no umpire discretion.
No 3. There is no consistency in the umpiring.
No 4. The round 23 was a farce. The integrity of the AFL is in question.Level playing fields do not exist.
No 5. The terrible inconsistency of the MRP regarding sling tackles and the umpires who either scream blue murder over them or ignore them.
(I saw it happen several weeks ago one sling tackle nothing from the umpire another one same game report, another one different game no report.)
No 6. I learnt from 2015 that expansion is wrong, and will down the track damage our game and opur traditional clubs, anywhere.
No 7. The game is not representing what every day down to earth long term fans of football expect from the game, its changed , TOO MUCH!
No 8. Scrums in our game, and ball up after ball up have changed the AFL so much that now , what is Australian rules football and AFL football... is different.
No 9, Corporatisation of the AFL has turned it into a to a money spinning TV rights cash machine for the elite , is killing the way the general public can access the game. I could not afford a GF ticket, that's a fact , I wonder how many others would be in the same boat, and the corporate lackies have many tickets to give away in packages and rip offs that leave average people totally out of the web!

Like from 2015
No 1. I think banning the sub and cutting rotations might just do the trick to bring the game back to a more recognisable Australian rules football sport.
No 2. I love the game still, but if it is crucified much more, I will not follow it.
No 3. I hope people start seeing what is being done to the game , but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel, if not the game as we know it will be dead.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Can't sleep, so gonna rant for a bit:

Pass marks for the year:
Adelaide - From actual tragedy and adversity arose a team with a spirit i haven't seen in a long time. I hope Danger doesn't leave them. This group is building something special and i've always had a soft spot for them.
Dogs - epic turnaround for a team and it's great to watch them play. My jealousy of the likes of Stringer knows no bounds. And to think, Libba has to come back in next year.
Eagles - Written off after injuries. Just slide into spot 2.
Goldstein - Great to see a ruck in the brownlow talks.
Fletcher: 400 and out. Who knew the day would actually come.
Dan Menzel - best 8 goals in 4 years ever.

Would like to see more from:
Dees - small steps aren't enough. They need to take a big one like the dogs did.
Media - Like a kid with a gun in their hand. So much at stake with what they possess, but little regard given to it. I like that the players are giving it back (Goddard to Barrett, Jobe on Footy Classified, Cloke to Dunstall, etc). Embrace and highlight the good in the game. Stop pedalling gossip and mud for the sake of "scoops."
David Zaharakis - Kid has immense talent and speed. watching lazy performances skirting the back of packs is such a waste. Should have his name up there with the HFF in Wingard, Martin, Rioli etc as an elite talent.
Player movement - Yes it's part of the game, but should be held off and kept private until years end (including announcements of contract signings until the trade period). Its an unnecessary distraction during the season.

Hated:
EFC efforts - it's been hard going to watch knowing the outcome. Harder still when you know it's not because the list isn't up to scratch.
Injuries decimating the Suns, particularly Ablett.
What might have been: Phil Walsh's passing was one of the saddest, most tragic things i think i have ever seen. I was numb heading into work that morning. You have to wonder why a man so good for football was taken after such a small time where he could have been given something back from the game.
The hit the game's integrity took this year:
*Outrage over ASADA tribunal verdict then rejoice over the WADA appeal and more endless innuendo. Players careers are at stake and it's treated as a point scoring exercise against the club.
*The media groundswell around Malthouse and Hird. Taking down someone's career is not the job of a journalist. Spreading rumours from sources or opinions as news is not your job.
*It took this long to recognise illicit substances in a similar light as PED's. A few more steps until we get to a place where we recognise them as far, far worse.
*Goodes situation being overblown in an attempt to trip over ourselves apologetically. I actually felt worse for Goodes that such an intense light was shown on it. Then he antagonised it and you can't help but appreciate the irony of it all.
*Gil making it up as he goes. Learnt from the best i suppose.

My team of the year (Not an AA, or best, just the players I've really liked)

BP: Mark Baguley. EFC have been slaughtered by small forwards in the past. Betts, Garlett, Le Cras, Motlop. Its been a bane. Bags has had a really good year and done the lock down BP role to a tee.
FB: Dan Talia. Amazes me this kid isn't spoken about as elite. Even when the crows are being over-run, he keeps the player he is on to virtually no touches/impact. I can't think of a better defender in his age bracket, and rate him as the best full back in the game
BP: Shaun Burgoyne. If he doesn't play on next year, I'm rather glad i took the time to watch him closer this year. Still one of the classiest players i've seen
HBF: Jack Watts. Wasn't sure where to put him. This kid is maligned like no other, yet he gets out there and plays his role week in, week out. Beautiful foot skills and read of the game. He may shirk the physical, but he was never gonna be a grunt player. His disposal is a rare highlight when you get along to a Dees game (Of which i go to a few)
CHB: Steve May. reminds me of Jackovich. Tough competitor and a massive unit. Gets better each year.
HBF: Adam Saad. Straight line running from defence reminded me of Andy Lovett back in the day. Would love him on the bombers list. One of those weapons from defence we sorely lack. Would run the ball past the point where we start playing sideways too
W: Isaac Smith. Flies under the radar with the Hawks stars. Work rate, pace and smarts in one package. Should be in AA discussions.
C: Patrick Cripps. Quite literally was getting the Blues into games on his own back. Judd goes down, Cripps comes up.
W: Dylan Shiel. was electric early in the season. I do hope Treloar stays and doesn't rob us of seeing what these GWS kids will do. Could rival the Cats and Lions midfield dynasties.
R: Shane Mumford. If only for the damage he does when he hits players. GWS were in contention when he was up and running
RR: Adam Treloar. Everytime i watch this kid, i can't help but think how many Brownlows he will win.
Ro: Zach Merrett. One of the few shining lights for essendon this year. Tackles, gets the ball, uses it nicely on either side. And drafted when we had no picks. Cost us a decent forward, but was worth it.
HFF: Jake Stringer. Hard to not be jealous of the Dogs having him on their list. Has really come on this year and is one of the more exciting players to watch coming up.
CHF: Tom Lynch. Embodies the frustrations felt at the Suns this year. So much promise gone to waste, and he isn't afraid to take it out on the field. A great leader.
HFF: Cyril Rioli. Haters gonna hate, but this was a vintage year from Rioli. Sublime with or around the ball.
FP: Eddie Betts. Has a pocket. Who has a pocket? Has made adelaide look even sharper this year.
FF: Jesse Hogan/Joe Daniher. Tough years for the great white hopes. But i loved Hogan's ability to come in and stand toe to toe with experienced veterans, and in a year that was nothing short of dismal, Daniher kept trying and wears his heart on his sleeve.
FP: Isaac Heeney. One moment. 18 years of age. Hell for leather after the ball, careers into the post and hits it hard. Slowly gets to his feet and jogs on. This kid is a star and he is bloody tough.
Bench of class: Patrick Dangerfield, Sam Mitchell, Dyson Heppell, Nat Fyfe.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back