Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - tigers endeavor and hardness for the whole 4 quarters.

Hated - tigers not taking their chances to ice the game and bachars kick in brain fade.

Learnt - tigers slowly getting there, just need a little more composure and polish.

Liked - Freo clutch win. Kept hitting back all game when we would usually get blown away.

Hated - umpiring over the whole round was terrible

Learnt - Hawks are scary good. If they went down a gear they would prob still beat any team by 30+

Also don't think Sydney is cooked yet. Missing Richards, Tippett & Franklin while in a slump. They'll turn the form when it counts and trouble the top teams still.

Learned

West coast are the read deal ....having eaten Richmond and pies away and swans now ....I, confident we can compete with the big boys

Ross Lyon is a very very good coach ...doesn't panic

Richmond's on field leadership is very poor ...someone should have told Houli to go wide ....he was under the pump

John Longmires stalling diversion tactics in the press conference was gold...He spent almost all of it talking about Jetta/Goodes thing .....which diverted the reporters from asking the hard questions about swans inept performances two weeks in a row ...well done John

Great effort by Western Bulldogs ...they are legit finals bound

Pies ...fools gold

Learned

West coast are the read deal ....having eaten Richmond and pies away and swans now ....I, confident we can compete with the big boys

Ross Lyon is a very very good coach ...doesn't panic

Richmond's on field leadership is very poor ...someone should have told Houli to go wide ....he was under the pump

John Longmires stalling diversion tactics in the press conference was gold...He spent almost all of it talking about Jetta/Goodes thing .....which diverted the reporters from asking the hard questions about swans inept performances two weeks in a row ...well done John
To be fair, he seemed to be responding to the questions put to him by the journalists. He gave what I thought were genuine answers without shifting the blame exclusively to the West Coast crowd...unlike the Scott brothers.

To be fair, he seemed to be responding to the questions put to him by the journalists. He gave what I thought were genuine answers without shifting the blame exclusively to the West Coast crowd...unlike the Scott brothers.

Just think horse should have said ...after the third same question ....

"He lets talk about the game "

Of they had won he would have said ....hey let's talk about the game?

Horse is a sook when they loose .....

Liked - Cats back in the finals race.

Hated - umpiring inconsistency. I yell less at the umpires these days coz I'm not actually sure of the rules, either are they.

Learnt - how stupid people are. Not the media, the public.
Collingwood were never that good before the 5 loss streak. I reminded plenty of Collingwood fans how the ladder lies.
Now people think they are terrible. They aren't that bad either and should still have a good future.
Perspective people.

Just think horse should have said ...after the third same question ....

"He lets talk about the game "

Of they had won he would have said ....hey let's talk about the game?

Horse is a sook when they lose .....
lol, yeah he has such a forlorn look on his face these days, poor guy.

It is possible that he is regretting the recruitment of Tippett (not falling into the trap of lumping Franklin in this as he is a genuine superstar).

Last edited:
Learned - this is the worst top 8 I have seen in a long time. hawthorn have no serious contenders this year

Liked: Darcy Moore will be a superstar.
Hated: Umpiring interpretations are so confusing.
Learned: Some opposition supporters suggesting that Pies fans rated us a chance this year obviously can't read when it's clear that precious few did. Still obvious that injury or suspension to only a few key players can make a massive difference to an inexperienced side.

Liked: Some close high scoring games.

Hated: that it came at the cost of the worst umpiring round this year.

Learnt: Eagles proved they ARE the real deal and swans proved they AREN'T.

Loved: Darcy Moore

Liked: The Bombers V Power game. Went into the game saying they are as bad as each other so we will get a low scoring scrap or high scoring close game. 37 goals in the game and 2 goal or so margin. Glad we got the latter instead of the former
Tom Barrass. He's a beauty
The Roos. Getting up for Boomer's 400th, first win at the GABBA in 10 years. Great stuff

Learned: Greatest indication yet that John Barker won't be senior coach at Carlton in 2016
Gary Ablett got injured. Did anyone else hear this
Josh Gibson is a git. Suspend him for blatant stupidity. Just the 2 weeks should do :D
Jonathan Patton is a great chance to return to AFL in R 17
Mark LeCras kicked his first ever goal against the Swans apparently. I knew Craig Bolton dominated him early years but thought he had a goal against them

Hated: Booing of Goodes. Unnecessary
Bachar Houli. Don't want to point the finger but play the percentages son
Ablett's injured
Schofield injury... Hopefully not serious

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol, yeah he has such a forlorn look on his face these days, poor guy.

It is possible that he is regretting the recruitment of Tippett (not falling into the trap of lumping Franklin in this as he is a genuine superstar).

Agree ......it's their style of play though

The problem with Tippett ...he played one good finals series for Adelaide ......suddenly he's worth mega bucks because he's tall and agile

Well Tippett I believe has slow twitch muscle fibres .....which is the opposite to Cyril and Nic Nat in case your wonder what fast twitch

It dictates your speed and agility .....so as he ages he will get slow

The othe thing Sydney thought was going to happen was the cola thing ...they had it sweet .....

Then also the afl said no recruitment either unless similar value ......it's already had an effect

Franklin is interesting now but what happens when his body goes ........he's not going to be ditsy fletcher type .....

He's already getting niggles this year .....Tippett was the dumbest recruit for that money 800k ....wow could have got two more midfielders for that .....and good ones

Agree ......it's their style of play though

The problem with Tippett ...he played one good finals series for Adelaide ......suddenly he's worth mega bucks because he's tall and agile

Well Tippett I believe has slow twitch muscle fibres .....which is the opposite to Cyril and Nic Nat in case your wonder what fast twitch

It dictates your speed and agility .....so as he ages he will get slow

The othe thing Sydney thought was going to happen was the cola thing ...they had it sweet .....

Then also the afl said no recruitment either unless similar value ......it's already had an effect

Franklin is interesting now but what happens when his body goes ........he's not going to be ditsy fletcher type .....

He's already getting niggles this year .....Tippett was the dumbest recruit for that money 800k ....wow could have got two more midfielders for that .....and good ones
Yeah I do understand the difference between the types of twitch fibres - fast = anaerobic (explosive, less endurance/sustainability); slow = aerobic (sustainable/endurance).

There are theories that suggest that the proportion of fast:slow fibres is at least partially determined by genetics and race, which lends itself to forming hypotheses around why black people may jump higher or move faster than whites. Certainly not proven, and there are other factors at play including training regimen, but it is apparent in what we observe with our Aboriginal players being (generally) more explosive and dynamic. And yes, there are very fast and dynamic white players (Judd, Matthew White to name a couple) and slower black players (Burgoyne, Josh Hill).

Tippett likely has a higher proportion of slow fibres I agree, and yeah, pretty safe to say Naita has a relatively high proportion of fast fibres operating in those legs.

Learnt ...we have 2 divisions, learnt the umpires are being totally confused by the rules committee and this weekend has seen more confusion from the players the commentators the people in the stands , and me, I am baffled at times this weekend this was the worst for a while.

But what would I know.I've only followed the game for decades?

Confess, that I hated Freo, pinching that game off Richmond.

Has the player who kicked out in that last minute been burnt at the stake yet, or is that Monday morning?

Loved my Hawks, felt sorry for the Blues!

Learnt that Geelong can still be a nuisance.

Learnt the Tigers need to stick strictly to a plan when kicking out, what was that guy thinking.

Found out that Boomer Harvey is an old bastard!! ha ha ha.

Realised that I want the Eagles to win today, but couldn't care if they get murdered, just not friendly with Sydney lately.[/QUOTE

Just wanting to add a bit to what we all learnt about rules and interpretation this weekend. Having seen Robbo's Monday tackle, regarding the confusion and what I believe is the worst weekend of umpiring I have ever seen.
Surely the rules committee is in turmoil and has muddied the waters for umpires .

I'll repeat this , I think the umps actually do a job so well that they interpret in their own minds in that split second how they read an action from a player and how they determine a free or not. AND THEY DO IT TO PERFECTION, forgetting discretion at times.

In other words what ever the rules committee sends out with and without the grey , the umpires read as to the absolute best they can , and because of the intricacies of rules , they read them TOO EXACTLY.Hope you see what I'm trying to get at.

But now after last weekend with players from both teams a holding their heads in confusion , and umpires saying one thing and then calling a free the other way, we are finally at a point where I said ages ago that umpires now "cause" wins or loss s', not because they want to, but because the rules are too grey and silly and unfairness is created by people on a committee who should know better.

And these umpires are elite , and call to the exact law as they interpret it.

Watched a game with my old Fitzroy mate yesterday down here heading east after swing, and mentioned that we said perhaps several times a quarter , what was that for , referring to a frees
This bloke is in my age bracket and confusion reigned in the bar where we were watching , in our two old brains , ha ha ha ,

That's a bit of lightness for this, but for all of us genuine fans this HAS TO BE FIXED, NOW! Surely???

Yeah I do understand the difference between the types of twitch fibres - fast = anaerobic (explosive, less endurance/sustainability); slow = aerobic (sustainable/endurance).

There are theories that suggest that the proportion of fast:slow fibres is at least partially determined by genetics and race, which lends itself to forming hypotheses around why black people may jump higher or move faster than whites. Certainly not proven, and there are other factors at play including training regimen, but it is apparent in what we observe with our Aboriginal players being (generally) more explosive and dynamic. And yes, there are very fast and dynamic white players (Judd, Matthew White to name a couple) and slower black players (Burgoyne, Josh Hill).

Tippett likely has a higher proportion of slow fibres I agree, and yeah, pretty safe to say Naita has a relatively high proportion of fast fibres operating in those legs.

Thanks I'm sure you ...some don't ...

Tipped can't explode away from tight defender ....he try's to body and use his strength and frankly he's not good at it

He can't ruck because he's not a great leap and aerobic capacity or engine is somewhat limited

Swans only option ...move buddy higher and leave Tippett deeper ...or trade Tippett for someone

They have put all their eggs in two baskets ....Tippett and franklin

Tippett is paid 800k a season .....rofl ...Jack darling is on about 500k .......

And that's laughable part

Seeing this post , I want to know why Africans and African Americans don't appear often if at all, in Olympic swimming? Genuine question.

Liked the Hawks "awesomeness", again, and they can play better!
Liked the Tigers competitiveness in a big game, they will learn from it.
Liked Patty Ryder giving 'em the finger

Disliked the herd-mind-set booing of Goodes. As Daffy Duck would say, it's dethpicable.

Learnt it's a 2 horse race, an early call perhaps, but Hawks and Eagles look way ahead of the pack.

Liked : 1) Cats having a yelp after that disastrous North game, a few playing for their careers, but club appears to be handling it well. Motlop BOG and Enright in the best again...who knows, he might go around again?
2) Mundy kick for goal under pressure from set shot and scores
3) West Coast style of play.
4) 1.10pm starts at Etihad. Perfect time to begin a game, people can come in, relax and have lunch nearby, then return and shop around afterwards while there is still light, the trains are not so packed and it's a good atmosphere down that way. NO MORE 3.30 or 4.40pm starts at Etihad!

Learnt : 1) Freo do NOT have the firepower to match the Hawks in finals and i doubt they can match the Eagles either, the Dockers will need all the cards to fall into place perfectly or they could go out in straight sets!
2) The AFL just make things up as they go along with regards to rules, it was blatantly obvious that they instructed Umpires to pull frees out of their arse on the weekend with over 40 frees per game being the average. When Port played the Pies a few weeks back only 15 frees were paid for the entire match! I know they want to improve the standard of play, but can they let everyone in on the secret? Not even the players had any idea, certainly not the ruckmen that's for sure.
3) The Brownlow is not a lock, Priddis might just do it again?
4) The Dogs are the big danger in 2016

Hated: 1) Friday night again, Malthouse was not the sole problem at Carlton and never really was, the Blues are terrible. That result is a disaster for the AFL and Friday night must head their fixturing agenda for 2016. The 'Showcase' is becoming a closed case as far as viewers are concerned and networks won't buy into a product that no one will watch anymore. The AFL will be wondering if the big bucks will in fact be as high as they were hoping for TV wise? I reckon they're in for a shock.
2) Kicking for goal from set shots by the modern footballer is disgraceful....
3) Brisbane, Suns and Demons are just as bad as Carlton, it's a very weak bottom end in this competition.
4) Ruck infringements...WTF was that all about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back