Autopsy What have you liked, learnt or hated from Round 8?

Remove this Banner Ad

good to see teams trying to physically intimidate each other.

Hated the goodes boo'ing. It was absolutely pathetic and the fans who were part of it should be ashamed of themselves. He has given back soo much to the game and achieved great things in his career so to hear him get constantly boo'd was absolutely pathetic. I highly doubt it's because he is such a great player so he gets boo'd.

Loved seeing Cyril in full flight, thank god he dropped the ball in the end. Hope injuries don't mess up his season!

Loving a win from the Dees and good to see the Bombers get back some movement and brilliance second half. Love Daniher - kid is going to be sensational.

Carlton has gone past too depressing to watch - now too awful to contemplate.

Some weird umpiring (again) I am on way home from the G and have to eat spaghetti and watch the whole thing again to work out what the umpires were on about for half the match.

LIKED:
* The fact that football has no rhyme or reason. One game you can match it all the way with the ladder leaders, the next you get embarassed by a bunch of cellar-dwellers.

* The Hawthorn/Sydney game. An absolute epic...and what the round needed after a bunch of one-sided matches.

* Dees turning it around by putting in a good old-fashioned hard effort.

* The great games from the young Cats.

* That Carlton thought going in with 4 lumbering talls was a great idea :p

HATED:

* The number of borefests this round. Expected a few more games to be competitive....

* When an opponent can scrag and niggle and illegally f** you over all game, but you're the one who gets pinged when you retaliate....

LEARNED:
* Goodes still has good footy left in him.

* Saints, Lions, and Dees don't deserve to win the spoon this year. At least they are trying.....

* That footy is like politics; "Even the greatest careers almost always end in tears"

I've learnt that it's round 8 and we're done. Our draw this month is Freo, pies, swans, giants, Eagles. The current top 5 teams. Injuries have hurt but all teams have them and we've gone backwards at an alarming rate. The sack Scott campaign will gather steam.

I've also learnt that Collingwood is the highest placed vic team. The odds on that at season start would have been silly.

Liked
- Adam Goodes still has the power to go on despite his age
- Hawthorn vs Sydney the match of the season
- Melbourne turning a 105 pt loss into a 39 pt win
- WA and NSW teams in the top 4
- GWS in contention for Finals in just their 4th AFL season

Learnt
- The Hinkley honeymoon is over
- Port won't make the top 4, let alone win the flag
- Saints, Dees and Lions trying
- Nat Fyfe just keep getting better
- Geelong still not done
- The Giants recruited better than the Suns
- Hawthorn 2015 is similar to Hawthorn 2009

Hated
- Carlton on Friday night again
- One-sided games
- Inconsistent Crows/Roos

Not just a failure to put McVeigh on report, but not even a free kick to Langford. :eek:
Possibly the worst umpiring of the season. He was right there. Must be BLIND.

They talk about "the head is sacrosanct" and they give Joel Selwood hundreds of unwarranted free kicks for milked contact to the top of the shoulder. But then a player gets king-hit with a roundhouse right when he isn't even contesting the footy and he gets zero protection from the umpire.

Unbelievable. Just shithouse.
Andrew Swallow endorses your outrage.

Learnt: Women's Footy skills aren't that far off being quality stuff to watch. Couple of years and it could be a great regular opener for AFL matches.
Your right . I saw some play, and they do it properly , its not amateur stuff , its quality good football standard. They don't hold back either.

Liked: Joe Daniher having a coming out party. Hopefully he starts to string a few games like that together over the rest of the season.

Hated: Reading Wild Bill on the Essendon/Brisbane game thread.

Learned: Richmond are far from done. Going to be a cracker next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Melbourne's great effort against the buldogs.
- Sydney vs Hawks game
- Freo continued run.

Dislike
- Port's lack of effort for K Cornes 300th game.
- Gold Coast shocking form.

Learnt
- Port do not have the depth of a top 4 side.
- GWS are the real deal. They have unbelievable depth on all lines.

Starting to believe my mob may well be playing Qual final v GWS this season. Impressive start by the kids.

Realised that wolfman from the eagles is my least liked player in the league after yet another display of high tackle inducement produced in artform even better than jelwood these days. I don't understand - if you duck into a tackle then the umpire will call "play on - you ducked". So why can't they also call play on when the likes of shuey and the selwoods continue to drop their bodies and sweep the tacklers FAIR arm up from the torso to the neck???? The umps are well aware of what's going on - so just start calling play on until these cheats get the message that what they are doing is not in the spirit of the game!

Starting to believe my mob may well be playing Qual final v GWS this season. Impressive start by the kids.

Realised that wolfman from the eagles is my least liked player in the league after yet another display of high tackle inducement produced in artform even better than jelwood these days. I don't understand - if you duck into a tackle then the umpire will call "play on - you ducked". So why can't they also call play on when the likes of shuey and the selwoods continue to drop their bodies and sweep the tacklers FAIR arm up from the torso to the neck???? The umps are well aware of what's going on - so just start calling play on until these cheats get the message that what they are doing is not in the spirit of the game!

Totally agree, but cheats is too harsh unless you want to apply this tag to Walters as well who is a genuine 'ducker' as opposed to arm sweeper.

Liked - Essendon played 4 quarters, kicked over 100, best up on a team and generally kicked well. Keep it up.
The Giants. Showing a Sydney team that is given a leg up on the comp can be likeable by not acting like w*****s

Disliked - the Malthouse beat up. No respect. I hate football media

Learned - a prelim showing does not grant you a flag chance. The crow showed it year ago. Port and North learning the hard way.

Totally agree, but cheats is too harsh unless you want to apply this tag to Walters as well who is a genuine 'ducker' as opposed to arm sweeper.
Yep, fair enough. But more often than not, he may duck but he doesn't get a free for it either. I don't like either method of suckering the umps - but 90% of the time pure duckers get no reward..... and rightly so because the umps are onto it. Yet time and time again the Selwood method is rewarded. Stop paying it and they'll give it away. Absolutely love every facet of the way jelwood plays his footy except that habit. In my mind a pure "see footy, get footy, no acting or milking" star player such as Pendles earns far more respect.
As for wolfman.... well just watch an entire eagles game and count the number of times he is tackled without trying that crap. Zero, zilch, none. Someday he is gonna sweep a tackler's arm and will cop a cracked jaw. I for one will have zero, zilch, none sympathy for his cheating ways!

Liked - Brad Scott's press conference. He has a bad rep around here as a winger but he was gracious, respectful to Freo and insightful about his own team.

Learn(ing) that people go way too early writing teams off early in the year. Witness how Richmond are gelling now. Plenty of football to be played yet and form seems to change so much from week to week. Port might win every game from here and finish top 4 or someone else might come from nowhere. Its a funny year.

Hated - Its genuinely sad to see Judd going out like this. Carlton's fortunes have gone beyond amusing to just plain sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back