What hours do you work?

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I agree, Driving to work >>>> PT.
Mostly, yeah, although for working in the city, PT can be a fair bit better. Some horror stories when buses/trains are late etc. but just as many days in the car where it takes forever.

20 minutes to work is pretty cruisy, and for career-based work would easily be one of the shorter commutes.
Absolutely. Made the decision to live to close to work for that reason.
Was doing a 40-50min commute by either bus or train last year and that was so much more depressing.

20 minutes to work is pretty cruisy, and for career-based work would easily be one of the shorter commutes.

About 35 minutes each way for me at the moment.

Yeah would agree, that is when everything is "perfect" tho. Can take 30 minutes+ for me sometimes when the traffic is bad, or a breakdown.

Car crash, then you are looking at 45mins - god knows what. I think my record ever is 2 hours. That was a car accident- thought I was being smart exited freeway, then ran into train boom gates down ffs. This caused a massive log of traffic, literally couldn't go anywhere, hence the lovely 2 hour drive home.

PT vs driving depends what you do and where you work.

My first (part time) job was suburban in a pretty quiet area. To get there by bus was 20 odd minutes and the buses came pretty infrequently, and stopped running not long after dark. Driving was 10 minutes with no traffic. Easy decision. All parking free, plenty of spots.

My first (real) job was just South of the river and I lived just North of the river. At the time the Mandurah train line wasn't finished so it was about a 10-15 minute drive going against the low of Freeway traffic. Could be a bit slow to get on to the Freeway but was otherwise not stressful. To get a bus would've required a bus/train into the city then a bus out from the bus station. At least a 30 minute proposition, more likely an hour. Always managed to find free parking.

My most recent job was in the CBD. The options were to walk to train station and be in the city in 10 min or so or drive in peak hour traffic. Easiest decision ever, the Freeway is for suckers. Parking certainly not free or plentiful.

For all of these jobs I didn't need my car at work during the day, which is another consideration.

Hudu Gurusingha I'm enjoying reading all your job related threads :)
I have a rotating roster , at the moment .
-My base hours are 8x10.5hour shifts a fortnight (including alternate weekends ), mostly 12pm-10.30pm with occasional 8am-6.30pm days. Also entitled to 1x paid 30min break during that shift (whether we actually get it though is another story as evenings are very busy...)Antisocial hours but having an extra day off/week makes up for it!
-On call (about once every 3 weeks , usually get paid about 14$/hour for 15 or 24 hours to chill at home/be on standby, with huge penalties in the rare event you actually get asked to call in ) and occasional paid compulsory teaching or PDL are on top of that

Much fewer official paid hours than I'd normally do per fortnight (84v my usual of around 95-100) but due more evening/weekend penaltie$, minimal unpaid overtime or traffic (cuts my commute from 35-40min in peak hour , to 18-20min ) , I really can't complain! . In fact I've earned/saved more than I normally would despite working fewer days and hours :) , and had more free time to do things like take short trips on my days off and watch the cricket :D. Win-Win. Also means that I won't have as many weekends once I get my new roster (which will be more like a monday to friday , 8-5.30 job with an occasional weekend ) in April (ie once the footy season starts) so that I can make it to more games !

The best roster I've ever had was 3.5 days a week- 8am-10pm 3x a week (including 1-2 weekends per fortnight ) and one 1/2 day, 8am-1pm.

Last edited:
8am-6pm with 30 minutes for lunch.

The commute can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half each day. It still beats the hours I did when I was a restaurant manager...11am-10pm 6 days per week.

8am-6pm with 30 minutes for lunch.

The commute can take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half each day. It still beats the hours I did when I was a restaurant manager...11am-10pm 6 days per week.

I reckon running a restaurant for your livelihood would suck nurries.

Yeah right now it's 4 or so in the afternoon so you wouldn't be flat out dealing with the lunch/dinner rush but there's still business hours work to be done dealing with suppliers etc. and it's not a like a supermarket where you're open til 9/10 at night but customer numbers drop off so you can duck out early if you want etc.

I reckon running a restaurant for your livelihood would suck nurries.

Yeah right now it's 4 or so in the afternoon so you wouldn't be flat out dealing with the lunch/dinner rush but there's still business hours work to be done dealing with suppliers etc. and it's not a like a supermarket where you're open til 9/10 at night but customer numbers drop off so you can duck out early if you want etc.

I did it for 4 years from age 19-23 and then I had to slow down. I was totally burnt out by the end of it because it was a high turnover, large family restaurant. I had about 65 staff, most of whom were teenagers who didn't give a * about the restaurant. Mothers Day and New Years periods were nightmares.

Hudu Gurusingha I'm enjoying reading all your job related threads :)
I have a rotating roster , at the moment .
-My base hours are 8x10.5hour shifts a fortnight (including alternate weekends ), mostly 12pm-10.30pm with occasional 8am-6.30pm days. Also entitled to 1x paid 30min break during that shift (whether we actually get it though is another story as evenings are very busy...)Antisocial hours but having an extra day off/week makes up for it!
-On call (about once every 3 weeks , usually get paid about 14$/hour for 15 or 24 hours to chill at home/be on standby, with huge penalties in the rare event you actually get asked to call in ) and occasional paid compulsory teaching or PDL are on top of that

Much fewer official paid hours than I'd normally do per fortnight (84v my usual of around 95-100) but due more evening/weekend penaltie$, minimal unpaid overtime or traffic (cuts my commute from 35-40min in peak hour , to 18-20min ) , I really can't complain! . In fact I've earned/saved more than I normally would despite working fewer days and hours :) , and had more free time to do things like take short trips on my days off and watch the cricket :D. Win-Win. Also means that I won't have as many weekends once I get my new roster (which will be more like a monday to friday , 8-5.30 job with an occasional weekend ) in April (ie once the footy season starts) so that I can make it to more games !

The best roster I've ever had was 3.5 days a week- 8am-10pm 3x a week (including 1-2 weekends per fortnight ) and one 1/2 day, 8am-1pm.

Awesome mate. What do you do for a crust? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to do 8-4:30 with a 1/2 hr unpaid lunch break. I probably worked those actual hours 2 days a week and the other 3 I'd usually be there 'til anywhere between 5 and 6 (so on average a 44-46 hour week)

Have recently started contracting (to the same company) which has three big advantages - 1. I work from home 2-3 days a week, 2. I get paid for every hour I do, and 3. Flexible hours which I find to be a huge plus when trying to balance work/family/health

Am actually looking for a new job atm but as others have alluded to its really tough atm. Would love to be my own boss but with a 15 Month old daughter and a wife who only works part time, don't think I can take the financial risk at the moment

I work in a school with the hours being 8:40 to 3:40, meaning I always get weekends to myself and receive all the school holiday breaks. I do have another qualification which would entitle me to a slightly higher pay bracket, but it's very hard to kiss goodbye those regular holiday breaks.

I work in a school with the hours being 8:40 to 3:40, meaning I always get weekends to myself and receive all the school holiday breaks. I do have another qualification which would entitle me to a slightly higher pay bracket, but it's very hard to kiss goodbye those regular holiday breaks.
Seriously? This is almost unheard of. What type of school and what do you teach?

It is a secondary college and I work with students who have been identified as having learning disabilities. This means I am not a qualified teacher and am classified as support staff. It is not that odd for support staff in schools to have their knock-off time before 4 o'clock. We are not required to do the same amount of preparation work as a teacher. We do stay behind after 3:40 on certain occasions, mainly for specific staff meetings or to talk with parents at prearranged times about student progress.

None yet. Took time off to have my daughter, and I'm about to get stuck in to the circus of trying to find a job again (the job I had pre-daughter has been given to someone else). Looking at about 10 hours a week to start with, until I get back in the swing of things again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back