Media What if your posting style meant which position you play?

Which style best suits you?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What if your posting style meant which position you play?

The Sweet FA is great. Qooty is great. A midget can pretend to be a ruckman. An overweight slob can be an elite running midfielder. You can live out your dream of playing like your favourite footy star. But what if how you posted actually decided where you played on the field?

There are many different styles of posters within the Sweet FA, which is what makes it great. In much the same way you couldn't have a team full of ruckman, you don't necessarily want everyone on your team posting the same way. Different players have different roles. Much like on a team in real life.

In this thread I plan on analysing each type of position and comparing it to each posting style. See if you agree.

The Ruckman

This posters role is to win the tap and facilitate other posters on their team. Their posts may not always be the most funny, or the most intelligent, but they help get their team mates involved. Whether it be merely tagging team mates into the match thread or posting a set-up their team mate can use to hammer their opponent, the Ruckman is often the glue that holds a team together.

The Inside Mid

These are the posters that do the grunt work. They're not afraid to throw themselves into the contest and get a little muddy. Quite often they're the most argumentative ones on your team. Very few posters have the stamina to keep up with this type in a thread. They may not be as flashy as their Outside counterpart, but they get the job done week in, week out.

The Outside Mid

Often criticised for not getting the hard ball, this poster is still very important to their team. Often quick witted, they are usually good with the light-hearted one-liner. When paired with a good Inside Mid or Ruck, this poster can be devastatingly effective. Not the most consistent poster, prone to going missing for periods, but can bob-up now and then with some gold.

The Defender

As the name suggests, this type is not particularly creative, but is very good and at shutting down an opponents attack. They are also fiercely loyal and will defend their team mates to the hilt. This poster always has your back.

The Key Forward

These are the players on the big bucks. They don't post very often, but when they do it's a massive torpedo from 60m out, straight through the sticks. They ooze class and inspire their team mates. Every team is looking for one of these posters. When these posters grace us with their presence in a match thread, their team mates stand a few inches taller.

The Rebounding Defender

Aka 'the Spammer'. Similar to the Outside Mid, but doesn't have quite the same class. This posters picks up a lot of cheap possessions across the back fifty. Yes, they can provide rebound or attack for there team, but it generally takes them 10 posts to match the impact of the Outside Mid. Good at keeping threads ticking over.

The Tagger

The Tagger may also be one of the posting styles above, but where this poster is different is that they choose a singular opponent in a match thread and basically only go after them, trying to put them off there game. This can cause the two posters to have there own game within the match thread, almost becoming oblivious to everyone else in the thread.

The Bench Warmer

Pretty obvious. This poster may only post once or twice a week, or even not at all. Every team has them. Every team needs them. But you don't want a whole side of them.

Do you think I have the descriptions right?

Am I missing any?

Which position do you think fits your style?

Modesty will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
The rebounding defender is in abundance in this league.

What do you reckon you are, mate?

I had you in mind for one, see if you can guess.

Best thread I've read in a while. Good work.

Cheers. I've had this idea for awhile, but didn't really know how to articulate it properly in a thread. I still feel I've been a bit vague. That's why I want others to help me flesh it out a bit more.

Ok so I see myself as a traditional ruckman. One that plays 1 kick behind the ball. So you could argue I contest the centre bounce then park myself in defense to do some rebounding and get some cheap kicks ;)

What do you reckon you are, mate?

I had you in mind for one, see if you can guess.

I didn't realise that you had campaigner as a position.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
I voted before reading the (wonderful) descriptions
Sorry, but because I couldn't find "annoying small forward" I opted for bench
I'd like to think I'm an outside mid going by the descriptions, but I will probably be seen as a rebounding defender

I think you should probably name and shame others based on your views... or everyone nominates a person in that position.

We need more people throwing others under the bus here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you should probably name and shame others based on your views.

Okeydokie, I reckon Okey is more of a Key Forward than an inside mid as his voting suggests he seems to fancy himself. He is much more flash than substance. Not to insinuate his posts lack substance they typically don't I just consider them a rarity these days and they can stand out in a quiet match thread like the crackle of blue lightning across a deserted summer night sky. However, Okey isn't built to carry a team through the middle he's built to lead out of the goal square crash packs and slot torpedos from 60m out. He is Nick Riewoldt not Lenny Hayes.

Okeydokie, I reckon Okey is more of a Key Forward than an inside mid as his voting suggests he seems to fancy himself. He is much more flash than substance. Not to insinuate his posts lack substance they typically don't I just consider them a rarity these days and they can stand out in a quiet match thread like the crackle of blue lightning across a deserted summer night sky. However, Okey isn't built to carry a team through the middle he's built to lead out of the goal square crash packs and slot torpedos from 60m out. He is Nick Riewoldt not Lenny Hayes.

So you're saying I should move to the midfield?

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
I'll start in the ruck, then move to inside mid, have a spell as a rebounding defender and finish off as an outside mid...others probably see me as a back pocket.

Back