Society/Culture What is, and what is not, 'racist'/'racism'?

Remove this Banner Ad

You may be on to something (though of course you will have to conveniently ignore white slavery in North Africa as well as the involvement of black tribes in selling slaves in West Africa as well as Arabic involvement in general).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-racist-says-former-Ken-Livingstone-aide.html

Ken Livingstone's former race adviser Lee Jasper has claimed that “no black person in the UK can be racist”.

lol, so "they" can't be racist, just prejudiced? Apart from the *ation of such a comment, it's a amusing that Jasper seems to imply that being prejudiced is fine as long as you aren't the more powerful group, then it becomes racism and its bad...

I suppose the one good thing about that article is that these attitudes, which have been held for a long time but kept rather hush hush, are now becoming better known and open to the ridicule they deserve

Probably because it was turning into another racism vs intelligence shitfight and nobody actually posted their top five...

You may be on to something (though of course you will have to conveniently ignore white slavery in North Africa as well as the involvement of black tribes in selling slaves in West Africa as well as Arabic involvement in general).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...-racist-says-former-Ken-Livingstone-aide.html

Ken Livingstone's former race adviser Lee Jasper has claimed that “no black person in the UK can be racist”.

Racism is Prejudice plus Power. Well, I have absolutely no power, so ipso facto I cannot be racist either. Alright, time to spread some prejudice!!!!!!

Another thread whose poll disappeared after the move to the new forum software.

:sadface

Anyhow, would it be racist for Joe Sixpack to say that he thinks only 3m, not 6m, Jews died during the holocaust?

What if he said that he thinks that while many, many thousands (possibly millions) of non-combatant Jews died during WWII, this was generally as a corollary of the terrible conditions they were kept in rather than the intended purpose of the camps where they were kept?

Would that be racist?

Last edited:
What if he thought 10 million Jews died and that it wasn't enough?

Just noticed that a thread on the Main Board entitled 'Top 5 Caucasian players you have seen' was locked after 13 replies.

****ing lol.

We need a quota for white players in the AFL, they are disproportionately lacking cf their % of the population

Clubs like Hawthorn in particular need to be sanctioned for selecting too many aborigines and not enough Caucasians.

Another thread whose poll disappeared after the move to the new forum software.

:sadface

Anyhow, would it be racist for Joe Sixpack to say that he thinks only 3m, not 6m, Jews died during the holocaust?

What if he said that he thinks that while many, many thousands (possibly millions) of non-combatant Jews died during WWII, this was generally as a corollary of the terrible conditions they were kept in rather than the intended purpose of the camps where they were kept?

Would that be racist?
Obviously not...so did i miss something leading into this?

Obviously not...so did i miss something leading into this?
'Obviously' not?

Apparently 'holocaust' denial is 'racial vilification'.
Senator Brandis told Radio National that racial vilification, which has been inserted into the Act under the proposed changes, ''would always capture the concept of Holocaust denial''.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...te-law-changes-would-work-20140326-35hkt.html

I knew that this kind of sick joke of a law existed in Germany, but I legitimately didn't know it existed here in Australia. This is utter madness. People can be kidnapped and imprisoned by the state for believing in a different version of history to that pushed by our schools and media. In Australia.

Kidnapped and imprisoned by the state.

You should fail your exam for getting history wrong but imprisonment is rather harsh.

In an interesting twist, in Lithuania you can be imprisoned for not denying the holocaust lol (see the Rewriting History doco on SBS a couple of months back)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Germany had the law as part of their policy of denazification.

And what do you think of Australia having this kind of law?
It would seem pointless to me. Does Australia have a problem with holocaust deniers? Has it ever had a problem with far right / left political groups who sought to use racial violence to win power?

There is a historical basis for Germany's law, but not Australia's.

The state can kidnap and imprison people, repossess their personal belongings, for expressing views about history which run counter to what we are told to believe in school and by television.

You don't see any potential danger in this?

Seriously?
Not really, no. Has this ever happened?

It seems he was put in jail for defaming the dead.
What difference does it make what they call the 'charges'?

These laws allow the state to kidnap and imprison people who say things, or write articles, that give an alternate view on the events of history.

If you cannot see the problem with that then I shan't waste anymore of your time.

What difference does it make what they call the 'charges'?

These laws allow the state to kidnap and imprison people who say things, or write articles, that give an alternate view on the events of history.
If only he was simply giving an alternate view of history! He calls it a myth peddled by a conspiracy of Zionists. Given what happened in Germany I don't see much wrong with them deciding to prohibit such speech.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back