What is slower the VAFA or AFL website??

What is a slower website? AFL or VAFA?

• VAFA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AFL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched VAFA Tragics on YouTube today. No mention of the problems the VAFA was having with its own website and what could be done to fix it. Not even an apology to the VAFA community either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watched VAFA Tragics on YouTube today. No mention of the problems the VAFA was having with its own website and what could be done to fix it. Not even an apology to the VAFA community either.

Should be renamed A Grade Tragics as that is all that gets discussed, except when they sledge lower grades ie Chadstone should go back to Club 18 because of their non winning record. Thanks Mr. Fitz.

PS

Gets some microphones, so we can at least hear all the A Grade discussions.

Will be interesting to see how the VAFA website will perform this weekend. Could it crash again?

Last edited:

FWIW they did have a crack at the clubs though for not buying enough wine from the sponsors o_O

I wish that someone from HQ would just say....
Ammos community, we have stuffed up. We are sorry. We ask you to take stats each week and fine you if you don't, yet we can't manage the medium to even record these stats. This website is a monumental disaster and we sincerely apologise.
But I won't hold me breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More people these days access the Internet in a mobile environment than from desktop computers. Seems odd that the VAFA want to go real old school and build a site that isn't mobile friendly. Very confused here

Really don't get why there at least hasn't been some public acknowledgement there is a problem and that they're working on finding a fix. But this head in the sand stuff just adds heat to the fire.

On a positive note -at least for Monder people:) - A.L is preparing a retrospective on the mighty Monders halcyon years to be added to the website just prior to the 'Celebration of an Era' function at the 'G' on June 13. Rumour has it mighty Micky Mac and the equally mighty Barney have already been interviewed. Keep an eye out for it Jascave.

There should be a documentary on the 2006 St Bedes Mentone Tigers v AJAX and the 1998 Rovers v Beaumaris grand finals as well.

Hello Everyone,

Firstly let me get what you all want our of the way. Sorry the website has been such a debacle in terms of access on five of the first six Saturday nights of the season. From my perspective this is not good enough and we know how important access to scores, ladders and match details are for all supporters of the VAFA. Today is the first day I have looked at Big Footy as someone told me not to look, but mostly the criticism is warranted, however I would like to counter some of your points.

The VAFA website was designed by a third party and the hosting solution were were recommended did not meet the needs of our community in terms of the 10,000 users that try to access results on a Saturday night. Whilst it's easy to have a pot shot at staff at VAFA HQ we can only be guided by the people that we engaged to deliver a solution. On the notion that we could simply roll back to the old website, well this is not possible as it doesn't exist anymore. On the assertion that we should have tested in the offseason, this too, is not possible. There was no way to stress test the site with 10,000 sessions all in a two hour window until the season rolled around.

I will also apologise if anyone thought I was overly defensive, I am not immune to criticism. As some of you pointed out, apart from posting on a discussion board or on twitter your disgruntlement, where were the suggestions of help to resolve the situation as some people contacted me to do. The suggestion that we had our heads in the sand is laughable. For those of you who claim to know intimately the workings of VAFA HQ, well I am intrigued why you didn't call me to discuss the website, as people that have either served on the Board or Staff have done, because they do know the inner workings of the VAFA and were kind enough to offer suggestions.

In regards to the site being down whilst club volunteers tried to enter scores, you should probably know that no clubs were fined during these periods. Why do scores have to be in by 5.30pm? That is an Australian Associated Press (AAP) deadline in order to have the scores in the paper the next day. (Yes I know the Age doesn't print or rarely prints the scores but we still need to meet this deadline). Despite many comments, we do not take the volunteers at clubs lightly, they do an outstanding job and this competition is built on volunteers.

On the display issues regarding the scores under the sections. As you may know the scores and match data is actually held in FoxSportsPulse (which some of you shared a link to) and whilst we wait on their API allowing us to filter scores directly in a streamlined format, we are limited in the display options. We currently display more information on the new site regarding match data and scores than we did on the old site.

Mobile access and tablet viewing I agree, is still not what we want it to be. We have requested this be resolved and are waiting on the delivery of these fixes. However again, our old website didn't even have a mobile version of substance.

In regards to the videos and content on the home page, yes there is a lot but again the model is based on global sites and video is a key part of that demand for content. Whilst it might not be your cup of tea, look at any AFL club site, AFL website and International sports sites and video is a key component.

On VAFA Tragics, yes we focus on Premier, because unfortunately statistics tell us that is what most people click on. We cover the other sections where we can, but it is impossible from a time and resources perspective to produce a show on all sections. Yes I am the only one paid, but the other panel members are at other jobs during the day and they volunteer their time and we simply do not have enough time to watch 35 senior matches even if we wanted to. I would love to have a show on each section and the facilities are at HQ for any of you to step from behind your moniker here and present your views to camera on the section your attention is focused on most.

As you may have seen tonight, I will be finishing up with the VAFA in a few weeks, so some of you may rejoice in that fact. Thank you for your words and I am glad I at last had the time and inclination to read them. I will finish by saying that every member of the VAFA staff loves their job, and whether you believe it or not, does everything in their power to make the competition better. Every decision is made to improve the VAFA in some way. If we don't progress we may as well sit on our hands and be happy being an afterthought.

All the best for the rest of the season and good luck with your comments in the future.

- AL

AL

It was never personal, all we wanted was an acknowledgement that there was problem, and that there were attempts to fix the problem.

Last weekend the system was almost perfect, with me watching by OI at 2.30am in the morning. Yes I have no life.

With regard to Tragics, my personal disappointments come from an A Grade person beating up on a club from D4.

All the best with the Hawks.

PS. Thank you for VAFATV.
PPS is there ways of viewing previous years videos?

Max "Go Hawks" Leader

AL

It was never personal, all we wanted was an acknowledgement that there was problem, and that there were attempts to fix the problem.

Last weekend the system was almost perfect, with me watching by OI at 2.30am in the morning. Yes I have no life.

With regard to Tragics, my personal disappointments come from an A Grade person beating up on a club from D4.

All the best with the Hawks.

PS. Thank you for VAFATV.
PPS is there ways of viewing previous years videos?

Max "Go Hawks" Leader
If you go on YouTube, type in 'VAFA Grand Finals', and most of the grand finals from past years will be on it.

AL
It has taken some 30+ days to respond to criticism, which has never been personal in my view.
Someone once said: there is never a problem, only an opportunity. To come out and admit that all is not great would have assuaged the anger to some point. That said, the reliance on digital media today is phenomenal. From one who eagerly awaited the Sunday paper to check results or who rung other clubs in the Division to get results on Sat night, close to finals, the association has come a long way. Good luck in your new adventures. Sidewinder.

Well here we again it seems. After Lenny’s spirited defence can he offer any explanation as to why a month later 95% of today’s results do not appear?

Time to get a refund from this mob and start again.

Well here we again it seems. After Lenny’s spirited defence can he offer any explanation as to why a month later 95% of today’s results do not appear?

Time to get a refund from this mob and start again.

Tonight's problem is affecting all football results that use Fox Sports Pulse, not just VAFA.

Back